Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

Dear Luke,

do you mind posting the build instructions for other *nix systems in the github/readme or pointing me in the right direction? I am running on arch linux and would love to try out the electron emby client. Thanks! :)

• Like 1

Have a look at post #68 page 4 of this thread and try those instructions it should be the same.

Edited by denz
  • Like 1

Using Ubuntu 18.04.

I had version 2.9.6 installed (which started up using "electron main.js").

I just installed the deb package for 3.0.3 and it is not going fullscreen like the earlier version would.

Is there some sort of configuration inside or outside emby-theatre that I could play with to get full screen working?

more details:

I unsuccessfully tried the little square maximize button on the main window and the 'fullscreen' icon in the playback window.

If I set the side dock to autohide, then the fullscreen icon in playback *did* expand the window to cover the place where the dock was, but not the "status bar" at the top of the ubuntu window. So full screen sort of worked but it wasn't 'on top'... though it does stay 'on top' of all other open windows (if any).

That may require some new development. We'll have to look at that. We'll also be updating to the recently released electron 3.0 soon. That may impact the full screen features. Thanks.

I've installed this version on a Pi and it worked fine, no more spinning circle and no having to install separate libs, with the instructions provided. One thing I found interesting was that the dist-upgrade command doesn't find anything to upgrade now. So I'm going to start over with a clean install of Raspbian and try installing without the rpi-update and dist-upgrade commands and see what happens. Maybe this version doesn't require the extra steps...

Even if it doesn't, i think we will leave it as part of the steps anyway as it's a good thing to do. Thanks for the feedback !

ellnic

This may have already been answered but: does the Pi image in the first post work on the 512MB Model B? Apologies if this has already been answered, I’ve not been as active as I would like of late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

filewalker

Tested an RPI3, working very good out of the box. First had some troubles with Networking, but seems to be a bad sd card, flashing the image to another one does the trick. Now everything ist working.

First option i set was Hardware acceleration from NONE to Auto. Works much better. With NONE, all cores at 100% load an some times a bit laggy. With set to AUTO, all cores around 15% no glitches.

I like the app und the theme very well, but the overall performance is a bit laggy. Searching around in the Database for example. When i close Emby Theater and use the raspbian Desktop, evrything works like a charm and is very fast responding. Starting videos takes also a bit longer than on my firetv with emby or kodi. And i do not think it has much more power. Are there any Settings i have to adjust?

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. We'll make auto the default for hardware support.

The app will perform better following the next release of emby server.

filewalker

okay, sounds interesting. i thought it has something to do with the app/implementation and the performance of the pi. i am excited to the new release - could you give a little explanation or is this to complicated

filewalker

Thank you @@Luke! This sound promising. But i think this will only have to do with every querry from the app to the server - the emby theater itself is a bit  laggy an mir RPi3 eg browsing throu settings, etc

ellnic

It’s a no go on the 512MB model B. Image doesn’t boot at all.

It will boot on a Pi 2, but the performance isn’t great, even when overclocked. It’s ok in the menus but video is choppy with no audio.

Got a couple of 3+’s on the way :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried reading through this 23 page thread, but am having trouble seeing if anyone has an official way to get Emby streaming on a Fedora box.  For that matter, I would like to get it streaming on my PC, and am willing to move Ubuntu if required, although with Fedora my remote worked out of the box, and Ubuntu seemed like it would take a lot more efforts to get that working.

Is there anything I can use to get Emby working in Fedora?  I haven't found any package for Emby Theatre for Fedora (or CentOS).  Should I start looking into getting Kodi running only to add the Emby plugin?

At the end of the day, I'm trying to repurpose an old PC as an Emby client to stream to my TV.  What is the easiest way to get this work?  I don't need a full Linux disto; just something that can boot straight into Emby Theatre even.  Is there a LiveCD of EmbyTheatre?  

Thanks,

Eric