Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

Hi, we don't have a Fedora package at this time, but it's possible for the future. Thanks !

EODCrafter

Can someone please consolidate the official process for installing Emby-Theater-Electron on Ubuntu 18.04? @@benze I have pieced together a working install but it seems rough around the edges so I probably did something wrong. 

sudo apt npm install npm

git clone https://github.com/electron/electron-quick-start

cd electron-quick-start/

npm install

git clone https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron

cd emby-theater-electron/

npm install

npm start

Did I miss anything?

5bbfce0b66b3d_Screenshotfrom201810111725

EDIT: Pretty much quit working after I made this post...I goofed something up. Now I'm getting Java Errors and GTK Warnings and a endless circle loading for all my channels. :(

Edited by EODCrafter

EODCrafter

Instructions are in the first post.

That first post is for the Obsolete Emby-Theater for Linux, Not the Emby Theater-Electron.....

X64 (Debian based distros)

Download: https://github.com/M...3.0.4_amd64.deb

Then install:

sudo apt install -f ./emby-theater_3.0.4_amd64.deb

Run:

emby-theater

or is this what I'm supposed to use? That version doesn't work at all.

5bbff8e9bbeb5_Screenshotfrom201810112028

The only way I can get out of this Screen is to actually KILL the program with System Monitor....Not good....

5bbff954b4b32_Screenshotfrom201810112030

Edited by EODCrafter

EODCrafter

And yet others are able to install it.

ok I'm glad for them...Ubuntu 18.04?

Do I need to undo all the NPM and Electron Install? I started at the first post and read on to where you said it was obsolete and to switch to Electron. Now your saying the 1st post is correct. Sorry for being confused.......

@@Luke...Removed emby-theater_3.0.4_amd64.deb and reinstalled npm and electron and  cec-utils and it worked fine! Thanks so much for doing this! I can now watch Emby in my Bedroom on my PC! (Must be a Ubuntu 18.04 bug with the deb version.)

5bc0fb10d0a58_Screenshotfrom201810121449

Edited by EODCrafter

ok I'm glad for them...Ubuntu 18.04?

Do I need to undo all the NPM and Electron Install? I started at the first post and read on to where you said it was obsolete and to switch to Electron. Now your saying the 1st post is correct. Sorry for being confused.......

@@Luke...Removed emby-theater_3.0.4_amd64.deb and reinstalled npm and electron and  cec-utils and it worked fine! Thanks so much for doing this! I can now watch Emby in my Bedroom on my PC! (Must be a Ubuntu 18.04 bug with the deb version.)

@@EODCrafter - I'm confused.  What was the final combination that worked?   If you uninstalled emby-theater_3.0.4_amd64.deb, what are you using for emby-theatre?

Thanks,

Eric

EODCrafter

@@EODCrafter - I'm confused.  What was the final combination that worked?   If you uninstalled emby-theater_3.0.4_amd64.deb, what are you using for emby-theatre?

Thanks,

Eric

The Emby Theater Electron in Post #454 works fantastic for Ubuntu 18.04. Here's the install sequence....

Uninstall the .deb Version.....

sudo apt-get remove --purge emby-theater_3.0.4_amd64.deb
sudo apt-get install cec-utils

sudo apt-get install npm

git clone https://github.com/electron/electron-quick-start

cd electron-quick-start/

npm install

cd ~

git clone https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron

cd emby-theater-electron/

npm install

npm start

Only bad thing is I don't think this is supported anymore...Kinda confused on this........

Here's a desktop Icon if you like.....

gedit ~/Desktop/EmbyTheater.desktop

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=true
Exec=/home/steve/exec.sh
Name=EmbyTheater
Comment=ET
Icon=/home/steve/et.png

exec.sh

cd /home/steve/emby-theater-electron
env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Ubuntu npm start

post-279282-0-73387300-1539427730_thumb.png

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

I started but just installing the emby-theater_3.0.4_amd64.deb from the first page in this thread, and it launches, but I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it yet.  However, my MSCE remote does not seem to work with it.  I've installed LIRC and running irw detects all the key presses properly, so I expect that the remote is working right, but not sure if/how to configure this in Emby Theatre.

Also, when I maximize the ET window, it doesn't go full screen; I still see the desktop borders and ET has a big black border around the small ET window/canvas.  Is the ET window supposed to fill up the full screen?

Is the ET Electron version better than .deb version?

@@EODCrafter what issues were you encountering with the .deb package?

Thanks,

Eric

EODCrafter

I started but just installing the emby-theater_3.0.4_amd64.deb from the first page in this thread, and it launches, but I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it yet.  However, my MSCE remote does not seem to work with it.  I've installed LIRC and running irw detects all the key presses properly, so I expect that the remote is working right, but not sure if/how to configure this in Emby Theatre.

Also, when I maximize the ET window, it doesn't go full screen; I still see the desktop borders and ET has a big black border around the small ET window/canvas.  Is the ET window supposed to fill up the full screen?

Is the ET Electron version better than .deb version?

@@EODCrafter what issues were you encountering with the .deb package?

Thanks,

Eric

Not Better, The .deb version wouldn't work on Ubuntu 18.04 for me. It worked once, but would not exit properly and I had to use System Monitor to shut down it; and some Zygot Process, it was called. I hope you have better luck.

According to Luke, This issue is Unique with just me.

Edited by EODCrafter

@@Luke, I was just thinking about the current Pi image.... Since it seems that ET for Pi is probably going to be for the 3 onwards, have you considered using the 64 bit kernel with it?

The Pi team are constantly slated by some for their lack of official support for 64 bit but they favour a “One NOOBS fits all” approach. However, the 64 bit kernel might be exactly what we need on these small Pi’s for a bit of extra juice (providing all other libs are available and compatible, of course).

Since you’re building a ≥ Pi 3 specific image, it wouldn’t increase workload juggling 32/64 bit images to accommodate older v7 Pi’s.

Have a look here: https://github.com/bamarni/pi64

:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great. Also, the Pi’s I ordered are here.

First impressions are good, hardware acceleration is an absolute must or you can still notice something isn’t quite right with the video (although it’s certainly better than the 2!). The menus are reasonably responsive, but not too much different from the 2 if I am honest. There’s still a lag there when browsing a large collection. I haven’t tested with 3.6.x.x yet though - but I don’t think it’s the server, it seems to be the Pi struggling to render. When skipping forward a large amount in a film, you get a black screen. There are also some overlay issues such as this:

d4f6045932c287d0b1a067e655473a6f.jpg

It is, however, a very large step in the right direction and these are just meant to help you improve, not bash your efforts. :-) well done.

Edited by ellnic

dyslexicjedi

It installed from the deb package fine. Launches fine, I'm able to select the item I want. Tries to start playing, I get audio, but no Video. GPU is a Nvidia 1080 FE, the OS is Linux Mint 19, running Nvidia Driver 390.77. Output to command line during run.

Initializing cec-client...

{ cecExePath: 'cec-client',
  cecEmitter:
   EventEmitter { _events: {}, _eventsCount: 0, _maxListeners: undefined } }
cec-client exited with code 1
UDP Client listening on 0.0.0.0:56083
starting udp receive timer with timeout ms: 1000
(node:21394) [DEP0005] DeprecationWarning: Buffer() is deprecated due to security and usability issues. Please use the Buffer.alloc(), Buffer.allocUnsafe(), or Buffer.from() methods instead.
timer expired 0 servers received
[]
UDP Client listening on 0.0.0.0:37887
[]
UDP Client listening on 0.0.0.0:45424
[]
Play URL : /TVShows/The Knick/Season 1/The.Knick.S01E07.Get.the.Rope.1080p.HEVC.10bit.mkv

Edited by dyslexicjedi

It installed from the deb package fine. Launches fine, I'm able to select the item I want. Tries to start playing, I get audio, but no Video. GPU is a Nvidia 1080 FE, the OS is Linux Mint 19, running Nvidia Driver 390.77. Output to command line during run.

Initializing cec-client...

{ cecExePath: 'cec-client',

cecEmitter:

EventEmitter { _events: {}, _eventsCount: 0, _maxListeners: undefined } }

cec-client exited with code 1

UDP Client listening on 0.0.0.0:56083

(node:21394) [DEP0005] DeprecationWarning: Buffer() is deprecated due to security and usability issues. Please use the Buffer.alloc(), Buffer.allocUnsafe(), or Buffer.from() methods instead.

[]

UDP Client listening on 0.0.0.0:37887

[]

UDP Client listening on 0.0.0.0:45424

[]

Play URL : /TVShows/The Knick/Season 1/The.Knick.S01E07.Get.the.Rope.1080p.HEVC.10bit.mkv

Can you try to play the file locally and post the output from this command:

mpv file.mkv

Thanks.

dyslexicjedi

Can you try to play the file locally and post the output from this command:

mpv file.mkv

Thanks.

Output: (Which played correctly, both video and audio)

Playing: /TVShows/The Knick/Season 1/The.Knick.S01E07.Get.the.Rope.1080p.HEVC.10bit.mkv

(+) Video --vid=1 (*) 'MPEG-4 AVC Video / 22992 kbps / 1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1' (hevc 1920x1080 23.976fps)

(+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng (*) 'DTS-HD Master Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 3316 kbps / 24-bit' (dts 6ch 48000Hz)

Audio --aid=2 --alang=eng 'Commentary with Co-creators/Co-writers Jack Amiel and Michael Begler, and Actors Jeremy Bobb, Eve Hewson, Michael Angarano, Chris Sullivan, Cara Seymour and Eric Johnson (DTS Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit)' (dts 6ch 48000Hz)

VO does not support requested hardware decoder, or loading it failed.

AO: [pulse] 48000Hz 5.1(side) 6ch s32

VO: [opengl] 1920x1080 yuv420p10

AV: 00:00:05 / 00:42:45 (0%) A-V:  0.001 Cache:  9s+73MB

dyslexicjedi

What kind of gpu do you have?

Desktop is a Nvidia 1080 FE running Linux Mint 19 (Only audio through Emby Theater, but both video and audio when running mpv directly same output above)

Laptop is a iGPU Skylake HD 530 running Linux Mint 19 (Only audio through Emby Theater, but both video and audio when running mpv directly same output above)

Both systems have the exact same results independent of GPU.

Something else that would be worth mentioning is tempfs, which is similar to ramfs but has some differences. I think OpenELEC and LibreELEC use it by default, Raspbian does not IIRC. Including tempfs OTB in your Pi images for logs etc will improve the longevity of the SD card and will give the image a better overall ‘quality’. There are a ton of prebuilt Pi images on the net [for whatever application] that don’t have a tempfs / ramfs / log2ram setup and they’ll burn SD cards very quickly.

On a side note, I’ve been playing with a couple of Plex Pi images recently [no, I’m not turning back to the dark side - they’re for someone else] and may I just say they SUCK. Most of this may be due to LibreELEC’s OTB state, but they could have added some extras in. RasPlex is about as good as it got but that seems to be dead now with the PlexMediaPlayer images for Pi gaining speed. There’s little to no way to customise, you’re locked into their GUI and what options they want to you see/do/alter and the whole thing makes me want to vomit. No easy command line, no apt, no raspi-config. YUK. Having the Emby Pi image on Raspbian is FAR superior and keeps maximum tweakage available.

Edited by ellnic