Emby Theater on Raspberry Pi

Luke

I have the same issue the only thing to get it back is that I had to delete the emby folder in .config. Not the solution but workaround the logs don't show anything that is what it is odd.

The homescreen also doesn't refresh.

• Like 1

haraldov

@. I want to hear your opinion about using vlc as video player instead of omxplayer in ET.

Vlc advantage:

Vlc plays my videos and livetv a lot faster than omxplayer. 

Vlc limitations maybe?: 

•  I have not find a equivalent option in cvlc for setting the video transparency. This must be investigated

omxplayer --alpha Set video transparency (0..255)
  • It has been reported on the web that vlc have problems to play 1080i on raspberry.  This also need to be investigated
Edited by haraldov

To my knowledge VLC does not have any HD audio passthrough, so if we are going to switch players I think mpv is the way to go.

haraldov

Thank you both for your opinions about the players available for raspberry. Keep up the good work with ET for Linux and pi. I hope someone find a way to use mpv in ET with OSD windows showing on top of the video window.

One issue I hope is going to be fixed is the Shutdown button which do not work in ET for raspberry and linux. I think it do not work because the user pi do not have enough permissions to shutdown the raspberry pi.

One way to implement shutdown is with D-Bus command

/usr/bin/dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit" /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop

wawilmsn

I have R-Pi 3, Windows Emby server. Most is working well. I currently am experiencing 2 problems. The first, I will research more. It is that I want to use the HP Media Center (USB plug-in IR receiver)  & Controller. Only a few of the buttons work. I need to find info on how to set it up so that all of the needed buttons work.  My main problem is that Emby on the Pi does not have pause/play for live streams.  It works for recorded streams or other media that has been placed on the server, but does NOT work for live streams. I tried setting up a recording to see if that makes a difference and it does not (while playing live).  On all previously recorded media, the playback screen will indicate progress via a bar with a moving small circle.  You can click anywhere on the bar to re-position where you want to watch. With live streaming, the bar is visible, but the circle is at the "0" point and does not move.  It is as if there is no recording (or temporary recording) of the stream.  With all other clients I looked at (Fire stick, web, emby on Mac or PC, emby client on the windows server), pause and play seem to work, and the circle on the bar indicates progress.

From this, it seems to be a problem in the client.  Any help would be appreciated.

To my knowledge VLC does not have any HD audio passthrough, so if we are going to switch players I think mpv is the way to go.

I'm pretty sure even the Pi3 does not support HD audio passthrough.  It has to be decoded to multi-channel PCM.

Ok so pass-through is a moot point then no matter what we choose? I didn't know that, thanks.

Spaceboy

I have the same issue the only thing to get it back is that I had to delete the emby folder in .config. Not the solution but workaround the logs don't show anything that is what it is odd.

The homescreen also doesn't refresh.

Is anyone interested in trouble shooting it?

wawilmsn

I have more info on my problem -- that on the Pi, the pause / play does not work.  The following log entries show what is happening when I click on the pause indicator at the bottom of the screen. As I previously reported, the small circle / dot does not show progress and stays at 0.  In this case, the screen went blank. I had to go back to the previous screen to get anything to work. Sometimes, the video keeps playing (live-off-the-air-video), but does not pause.  

Edited to move log to attachment file.

emby-log2.txt

Edited by wawilmsn

I have been using this setting successfully for good two weeks without issues and live tv starts twice as fast still slow but better 

"--live", "--lavfdopts", "analyzeduration:1500000"

Big issue is the black screen not when playing video but when you start emby the only way itwill work if you delete config file. 

wawilmsn

I have had no problems with a black screen -- the Emby client seems to start OK on my Pi, but when trying to play live TV (select a show from the guide), it plays, but pause does not work. It either does nothing, or locks the system, and I have to reboot by pulling the power.  On live TV, does your pause/play control work?

wawilmsn

Luke:  Looking back through this thread, I see that the --live option may cause pause to not work.  I am not sure what git pull does, and I don't remember running it - but maybe I did.  And that may have added the --live option.  I do know that pause on live TV does not work for me.  I plan to go back and start from scratch (basic Raspbian) and reload (without get pull) to see if that works.  Can you tell me - in which file can I find the --live option.  And can I just remove it to try without it (if it is there)?  

As background info - I have worked in one of the AT&T video labs (mostly with advertising insertion) for several years. Our lab just closed, so I have a little more time to play "at home". My main system at home is SAGE-TV, which I love, but which still has some limitations - especially with remote access.  I am excited about Emby. With the PVR option, it - along with using the Pi - is one of the most promising home-video systems I have seen.  In the US - or for me - all OTA content is MPEG 2.  And, with almost no exceptions, the Pi is able to play it (with the license).  That makes it quite unique.  I purchased a new - refurbished - I5 - quad core 3.1 GHZ server to use with this project.  It looks like it may be able to re-encode one ... at most, maybe 2 streams to MPEG4 for things like Roku, Android phones, and/or web players.  The PI - if used as a main viewing system, uses no resources since it plays MPEG 2.  So, I am quite anxious to get the Pi working.  My daughter currently has am implementation of NextPVR, and Kodi on Pi. But, the Emby solution is so much better - if I am able to reconfigure the Kodi Pi's to run Emby/Pi.  Thanks so much for all of your work on this.

haraldov

I tried to compare LiveTV with ET for Linux (player mpv) and ET for rpi (player omxplayer) in a earlier post https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42868-emby-theater-for-linux/?p=413817 .

Do not know if this is true, but from the logs it looks like Emby server have problem to find out if it should transcode the stream or use Directplay when starting Livetv. I think this increases the time it takes to get the tvpicture with Livetv.

When i look at the log it also says live tv probe took 2 seconds so what is happening is emby looks at the stream then omxplayer looks at the stream all this takes time with above option it takes about 5 seconds. Even two seconds in too long kodi wmc and hdhomerun are already playing the streat at that time. This is with ssd drive without it wmc took three seconds.

wawilmsn

Thanks for the info on the file location, Denz. By the way - my son lives in Canberra.  

As for live stream behavior, I ran Emby-Pi with and without the --live option.  In both cases, it took about 6 seconds for video to start.  Given other alternatives (Roku without hardware decoding or Kodi), The Emby solution is looking like the best one for me, even with the delay.

As for being able to pause the playout of live content, with the --live option, the pause control does not work. It either does nothing, or it causes the video to go to a black screen, after which, pushing the pause/play control again does nothing.  Without the --live option, the pause / play button seems to work.  I need to check audio/video sync some more, because it looks in-sync for the --live option, but watching several times, seems to maybe get out of sync without the --live option.

One other comment on pause/play:  Other systems (Kodi, SAGETV) seem to act as if the program is being recorded when you "view" a live program. I know that SAGETV does actually start a recording -- then erases it if you leave the channel after watching it live.  That gives you the option to go back, or - if paused - to jump ahead. That becomes useful if you start watching and pause the show -- then use the FF to skip ads.

Thanks for the feedback. We will improve the delay, not to worry @@denz. The important thing to realize here is that nullpointer put this together and he's done all of this without a live tv test setup. So once we have a developer with live tv actually working on it I'm sure we will find room for improvement.

Great to hear looking forward to it. Not just on raspberry hopefully improvements will be done for all apps.

Spaceboy

Is if possible to put a line in the autostart batch file that deletes the config folder before running Emby? What would this look like?

wawilmsn

Comments on remote controller commands:

My /etc/lirc/lircd.conf file only has one active line, which is:

include "/usr/share/lirc/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"

When I looked at the referenced file, I found what looked to be the correct settings for the MCE controller.

I ran irw from the terminal and watched while I pressed controller keys.  The responses were the same as shown in the LIRC on the Raspberry Pi topic ...

KEY_LEFT
KEY_RIGHT
KEY_UP
KEY_DOWN
KEY_ENTER
KEY_BACKSPACE

But, although the key presses seem to submit the correct info, none of them seem to work with the Emby app.

Does anyone know what I might be able to check?

Comments on remote controller commands:

My /etc/lirc/lircd.conf file only has one active line, which is:

include "/usr/share/lirc/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"

When I looked at the referenced file, I found what looked to be the correct settings for the MCE controller.

I ran irw from the terminal and watched while I pressed controller keys.  The responses were the same as shown in the LIRC on the Raspberry Pi topic ...

KEY_LEFT

KEY_RIGHT

KEY_UP

KEY_DOWN

KEY_ENTER

KEY_BACKSPACE

But, although the key presses seem to submit the correct info, none of them seem to work with the Emby app.

Does anyone know what I might be able to check?

Hi, did you follow these instructions?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43179-lirc-ir-on-the-raspberry-pi/

Thanks.

wawilmsn

Hi, did you follow these instructions?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43179-lirc-ir-on-the-raspberry-pi/

Thanks.

Sorry -- I did not provide enough info. I am using an HP MCE remote, complete with USB receiver. From what I understand, the USB receiver (a small box almost as large as the plastic box my Pi is in), helps convert the IR remote signals.  Using that, and the setup I mentioned (where it points to the .../lircd.conf.mceusb file), the remote seems to work at the linux level. Using irw, I can push buttons, and irw seems to show the correct responses.  The problem is that they do not do anything to Emby.  

It that is the case, something seems to be missing for Emby to pick up the commands .. or for Emby to be matched to the commands being sent and received at the linux level. 

That is exactly what is happening when using ir-keytable and when you install kodi kodi picks the commands properly.

wawilmsn

One other thing on keystrokes; I changed the file I mentioned (the .mceusb file) to do ESC instead of BACKSPACE  (actually - I think it was maybe BACK, not BACKSPACE), but irw then showed ESC when I hit the back key. So that indicates to me that it is picking up the command outputs from that file correctly. It still did nothing to Emby, but at least the file listing and irw are in sync.