Emby Theater on Raspberry Pi

Luke

Spaceboy

I just tried a movie with DTS on my pi, I could hear audio so presume it was being downmixed to stereo. Will try it on my DTS compatible AVR tonight

Mayankel

Hi again,

i have solved all my problems with video player. I had Max streaming Bitrate selected in 1080 10Mb and this is the cause. Now i put it in 1080p 60Mb and all works fine, DTS, AC3... everything works fluid and stable.

The only problem now is the impossibility to use the virtual keyboard and due to this the impossibility to change the user because i can't put the password. Is this a known problem?

Thanks and best regards :)

I tried both mpv and omxplayer accessing hdhomerun directly it is extremely slow with live and without it is about 10 - 11 seconds mpv is even slower.

It was a disappointed end result.

I installed kodi to compare it is old version on raspbian loaded serverwmc and channel change was just below 5 seconds and tested many channels. That is very impressive as wmc has to buffer first before it comes to kodi and when i look at the logs in that version say dvdplayer so they must have figured out how to overcome the slowness in omxplayer. It is so smooth and fluid i will try to load emby in kodi just have to find never vesion of kodi..

omxplayer.log

Edited by denz

I tried both mpv and omxplayer accessing hdhomerun directly it is extremely slow with live and without it is about 10 - 11 seconds mpv is even slower.

It was a disappointed end result.

I installed kodi to compare it is old version on raspbian loaded serverwmc and channel change was just below 5 seconds and tested many channels. That is very impressive as wmc has to buffer first before it comes to kodi and when i look at the logs in that version say dvdplayer so they must have figured out how to overcome the slowness in omxplayer. It is so smooth and fluid i will try to load emby in kodi just have to find never vesion of kodi..

Try OSMC with Kodi 17 (I'm using it now)

Spaceboy

just completed setup with a hama vista mce ir receiver and a harmony one both pulled from my drawer of redundant stuff and this has replaced my fire tv in the bedroom. due to it being an older tv i had to mess with overscan settings which wasnt too bad but if some config could eventually be brought within ET that would make it much easier from a user POV.

Spaceboy

just a note to anyone adding a second pi, you will need to change the hostname in the raspberry pi settings. with this it also looks like i am replacing the nexus player which was my travel device with this and the remote function on my iphone.

haraldov
One of the limitations of omxplayer is that it can not render image based subtitles, this would include S_DVBSUB as I believe S_DVBSUB is image based

I found a workaround for my Matroska recordings with embedded S_DVBSUB subtitles which is "picture-based". With ffmpeg I can burn (transcode) the "picture-based" subtitles into another Matroska video. Omxplayer have no problem to showing the "burned in" subtitle.  

Example of an MKV with dvdsub subtitles in a separate stream. Source: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HowToBurnSubtitlesIntoVideo:

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -filter_complex "[0:v][0:s]overlay[v]" -map "[v]" -map 0:a <output options> output.mkv

I also found this source helpful for understanding "burning" subtitles: https://github.com/donmelton/video_transcoding

Feature Requests:

It has been nice if the "Folder Sync" plugin have support for user defined transcode profiles. I can then make a sync profile for "burning in" the subtitles. 

Keep up the good work with ET for Raspberry.

Edit: 

With the plugin "Folder Sync" I can use the Profile "General" in ET for Windows for transcode the video with burned in subtitles. 

Edited by haraldov

I am trying to test the speed up channel change and from the command line it works but when i put it in the file playbackhandler.js I can see that it is passing the command but no video shows up not even playing the recordings by putting probesize the tunning went from nearly 11 seconds to 3 seconds but need to test it a lot and it is much easier using remote. 

Even kodi had issue with the channel speed then they put a patch that they are monitoring the change for PMT any way I will leave it to people who know what they are talking about :) 

args.push("--live","--lavfdopts 'probesize:400000'");

Thanks 

Thank you that works later I will run a thorough test I am off to the beach now. But noticed it is about 2 seconds slower because emby is doing probing So that will need to be disabled I just remembered there were posts in the past about this and developers don't like to disable it.

For some reason I had to put higher number when emby is involved anything from first number 7 had no issue under 7 it worked on some channels 19 in the row and 20 didn't tune.

args.push("--live", "--lavfdopts", "probesize:700000");

hopefully others can try with live tv and report back

there is an old pull request in xmbc about channel change switching it is good reading

http://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3590

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=150887&page=3

Edited by denz

haraldov

args.push("--live", "--lavfdopts", "probesize:700000");

Tried livetv channel switching without and with the option "--lavfdopts", "probesize:400000" and "--lavfdopts", "probesize:700000" for three channels. With the option "--lavfdopts", "probesize:700000" the channel switching is faster (5-7 seconds faster I think) and the channels switching seems more stable than without the option. With the option "--lavfdopts", "probesize:400000" I experience a black screen and no tuning happen with two of the three channels tested.  

ETwithprobesize700000.log

ETwithprobesize400000.log

ETnoprobesize.log

Unfortunately it was a failed experiment one day perfect than next wasn't . Since emby server does the probing maybe it needs somehow give that info to omxplayer but I think the omxplayer needs to be recompiled, I think that is what Kodi did as in libreelec live tv starts nearly instantly on sd channels HD in a second and I never get a blank screen. What I learned is that ffmpeg keeps probing the file for two long as it doesn't have an index and if I look at the omxplayer logs it is doing that for 7 seconds. 

Other options I tried was below but no luck

"--live", "--lavfdopts", "analyzeduration:500000","--lavfdopts", "probesize:500000"

Edited by denz

haraldov

I am sorry, but to link this webpage was a mistake. I pasted the html-link without thinking about what I wanted to tell with it. So forget it.

puithove

Just got my first pi the other day and am playing with this on Raspian.  Really nice.  Things appear to be working well overall.  I'm not seeing slow or failed channel changes in LiveTV (hdhomerun prime, with built-in Emby tv).

One thing I do notice... I have some HEVC/h265 files.  These simply will not play.  It might be good to have it force transcode for any video other than h264, MPEG2, VC1 since those are the ones that can HW decode.

Or better yet, have it check for what it can decode in hardware (in case someone hasn't applied the licenses for MPEG2 or VC1) and transcode anything that isn't able to HW decode.

Edited by puithove

puithove

LiveTV playback is not respecting the "Max Streaming Rate" option in the general playback settings.  Always does direct play.  Any other library media (including recordings) switches to transcode because of the bandwidth max I have set.

Spaceboy

Can you discuss an example? Thanks !

Luke this is exactly as I and the other guy reported

Changing quality on live tv

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Femby%2Emedia%2Fcommunity%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F43786-Changing-quality-on-live-tv&share_tid=43786&share_fid=77624&share_type=t

Edited by Spaceboy

Just got my first pi the other day and am playing with this on Raspian.  Really nice.  Things appear to be working well overall.  I'm not seeing slow or failed channel changes in LiveTV (hdhomerun prime, with built-in Emby tv).

What channel change time do you get it takes 11 to 12 seconds with hdhomerun connect dvb-t I curious what speed do you get in windows in windows it is slow as well it is 4 to 5 seconds depending sd or hd on the same machine wmc, kodi, hdhomerun view it is one to two seconds.

On the other hand libreelec the channel change is 1-2 seconds. 

Spaceboy

another issue that i've had twice now.

after some days emby theater stops loading, instead i just get a black screen. initially this autostarted with raspbian and everything worked but twice now its just stopped working. where can i find logs to see whats going on?