Emby Theater on Raspberry Pi

Luke

A little note about the video player, we are using OmxPlayer, which is included with Raspian.

Omxplayer does not support software MPEG2 video playback, to enable MPEG2 playback you will need an MPEG2 codec key to unlock the MPEG2 hardware decoder.

Currently we don't have any detection for this, so the app will always try to direct play mpeg2, and without a hardware decoder key it will fail.

I tried it and for initial release it is a very good effort the main issue is the severe lag scrolling left or right in each tab, but item detail screen opens very quickly and playing something is relatively quick. Kodi was very slow initially but not know every navigation is smooth.

The black background seems to have a lot of grey in it not sure is it my tv and it doesnt feel that it is using 16 million colours. Video quality is good apart from some interlace issues. Live tv is very slow to start so there is a lot of work to get to kodi or near kodi would be excellent.

For installation of electron i had to put sudo npm

Looking forward to updates.

Thank you

• Like 1

I have pi 1 and Pi 2

I am testing on pi 2 there are two version of raspbian the pixel and lite i am using pixel. I am trying lite version but it is not working as there is no gui i think.

is that the model B?

• A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU
  • 1GB RAM
If so that is what I am using, yes it is a little slow to scroll but I have found it usable.

I dont this this will ever be a smooth or fast the Kodi, Kodi is built from the ground up to be as light weight and fast as possible for a very bespoke skinning and display engine, I dont think you will ever get that level of performance from Chromium.

Actually, I think you will. There is more we can tweak if need be.

Okay. Thanks Luke!

It's going to be a bit as it's crunch time to make sure everyone's happy on Christmas (thanks for the theme surprise this morning, BTW). I'd be happy to just play with my geek stuff all day but must do the adult thing.. Then my kid's having a kid, most likely by inducement, on Dec 26. I'll check it out when I can and get back to you though.

Something like this will let my have an rPi for Emby and ceton echo for CableTV DVR with the HTPC being moved into the office..

Also, I see it has Linux Remote Control on the to-do list. Will this be able to be taught to a Harmony 900 or is it in the database already?

mgworek

On the day i have my company holiday party you do this to me???? Awesome news. When I can the chance I will try this out. 

@, I use the remote pi board so i have power and remote functions but MSL Digital http://www.msldigital.com. 

Is there any chance if something like that being supported in the future? I know they have to create scripts and such. If I reach out to them, any chance you guys might be willing to talk with them when you have time?

It's model b I will try overclock a bit. I am also finding that the remote stops responding after watching video and have to use keyboard and then remote works. I will do more testing.

I have connected to it microsoft remote but not all buttons work. I also control it with sony tv remote and it works better. But yeah once the wideo plays i click return on the remote and all i get is a blank screen and all i have to press a key on the keyboard or touch the mouse and the tv remote works.

Kodi doesnt use pixel i am sure the pixel desktop uses a lot of ram so that contributes with the slowdown but it is interesting some items when you click on them are extremely fast. I will do more testing. Regarding colours i think there is a code dynamic range 0-255 but i will search and report back.

It's model b I will try overclock a bit. I am also finding that the remote stops responding after watching video and have to use keyboard and then remote works. I will do more testing.

While I don't have a Pi, I think I can help here.

My past experience with cec is that if the device automatically powers off (lot of remotes do) the client process hangs, thus becoming unresponsive. This would explain why your remote(s) become unresponsive after x amount of time.

A workaround to this problem would be to write a quick script to check the client processes for any hanging and kill/restart. From there cron it to every x amount of time. My current remote powers off after 60 seconds, so a 30s cron would do the job.

Would likely eat a bit of resources on a Pi to run that script every 30 seconds though.

I'm sure given my diagnoses a better solution can be found via Google ;)

Edit: Found their bugtracker and the above was supposed to be fixed a few months ago, so this post may be useless.

Edited by akensai

I did the overclock and it is noticable improvement I have the same overclock setting as I did in kodi. But to be honest emby theatre on my pc is not that smooth so I don't expect that on the pi would be any better.

It must be the screensaver since the remote responds immediately after you move the mouse or press a key.

Recorded tv starts very quickly but live tv sometimes starts sometimes it doesn't and when it does it is very slow. I will do a lot of testing and report back.

It is a good start.

Edited by denz

Thank you for the script so far so good. I am noticing that in music and live tv sometimes it plays and some times it doesnt. Log attached two channels played and the third one didn't. Skip is working and general viewing is working.

Just a new issue I started watching recording and now I can see the recording through emby theater but cannot stop it even exiting emby It still plays in the backgroung and pixel desktop is transperent. It is only when I closed the shell that the video stopped.

It needs a bit of transition animation just as it needs on win pc.

Log.txt

OMG ... it's really happening ... I don't have time for tests, but if this will work well on Pi2 (overclocked to ~1ghz) then I will be able to get rid of osmc+KODI and put this thing and then it will be a reason to buy Emby Premiere :D

Alternative will be new Intel Compte Stick (Apollo Lake will include CEC), but Emby Premiere with Pi will be cheaper :D

Just wanted to say thanks for Your great work!

BTW. Emby Theater caches artworks/covers etc? Or it is wise to make Emby server to store this metadata near video files?

Edited by barat

This is all pretty darn cool but some of it is beyond me as I have a rPi 2 that I haven't even had the time to play with so I know not much about it. I'll give it a whirl, after the holidays, but let you guys make an install-able package!

In Australia the pi 3 is not cheap with power supply costs $110 and if I buy guleek atom Z8300 costs $133 and it comes with win 10. I bought the prior version guleek i8 for a friends child and it is great for every day usage and this one must be a lot faster and it is a full pc.

I will continue to test the pi and provide feedback with overclock to 1GHz it is definitely a improvement it's not smooth but definitely improvement.

I will test each part separately from music etc and provide feedback.

I left the pi overnight and it fully responded with the remote now I think later on the screen should be dimmed in case TV is left open.

Edited by denz