Emby Theater on Raspberry Pi

Luke

I have tried the opengl driver yesterday and the sound only lasts for few seconds before lockup. There is a libgl error so need to test is opengl actually running. I tried it again today running without pixel by going to console and then use xinitrc to start theater but couldnt get it full screen and the same lockup occurs even in windowed mode.

I am now trying to make it like librelec to go direct to emby I am nearly there just got to figure out full screen.

Kodi doesnt use omxplayer anymore they use mmal player.

haraldov

For me is the limitations of omxplayer that it can not render image based subtitles bad. Most of my recordings have embedded or burned in subtitles.

Yesterday when I tried to find out why omxplayer could not show s_dvbsub, I found out that mpv have hardware acceleration for rpi and support for s_dvbsub. I don't know if mpv works better than omxplayer for other things.

I also found out that Emby Theater for linux used mpv. See here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42868-emby-theater-for-linux/?hl=mpv 

@@haraldov, can you try the linux install on your PI and report your feedback? We are considering making the switch to mpv and thus, unifying the efforts, so that feedback would be helpful. thanks !

Mayankel

Please, could someone help me on how to make Emby work on the start in the Raspberry Pi?

I'm trying to test it with my Pi 2 but i don't want to have a keyboard connected to my pi, so, auto start is needed. I tried to launch it eith the rc.local fila but doesn't works.

Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Please, could someone help me on how to make Emby work on the start in the Raspberry Pi?

I'm trying to test it with my Pi 2 but i don't want to have a keyboard connected to my pi, so, auto start is needed. I tried to launch it eith the rc.local fila but doesn't works.

Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Hi @@Mayankel, thanks for the feedback. This is still very new so we just haven't worked out instructions for that yet. 

Also, I have a Harmony Hub remote that I paired to my Pi 3 using the onboard bluetooth. From the harmony side, I said that it was a windows PC, which surprisingly resulted in some commands that work. I'm still working on fine-tuning the configuration, but navigation and playback controls are working! Thanks for all the hard work guys.

• Like 1

Also, I have a Harmony Hub remote that I paired to my Pi 3 using the onboard bluetooth. From the harmony side, I said that it was a windows PC, which surprisingly resulted in some commands that work. I'm still working on fine-tuning the configuration, but navigation and playback controls are working! Thanks for all the hard work guys.

Thanks for the feedback !

I have gotten pi 3 today but emby theater is not working the first time I tried it it took be back to pixel log in screen and since then all i get is blank screen the log file it just has cec info and nothing else. If no suggestions I will copy the raspbian image again just in case there are some pi2 leftovers but i was sure that they are the same.

Edit: Done a new install and pi3 is way better not smooth as i liked but it is usable hopefully it will be improved will see how kodi is with this supercharged rpi. Now just waiting for the mpeg key to try videos.

Edited by denz

haraldov

I have tried the linux install on me PI3 and playing recordings and livetv works. I start the program with the shell script like so:

./et.sh

From the log I see the script tries to initialize the cec-client. It gives me ERROR about cec-client not installed, running without cec functionality. Maybe a path issue because I have installed the cec-utils package.

Then I get a lot of ECONNREFUSED when it tries to connect to /tmp/emby.sock

When playing the mkv videofiles it start up with the same speed as with omxplayer (plays after 1-2 seconds). With livetv the speed is more slower than playing recorded movies (plays after 12-13 seconds). The S_DVBSUB and the burned in subtitles are showing on my recorded movies and livetv. 

omxplayer allowed me to set the alpha of the video window so I could show the OSD of Emby Theater

The OSD of the Emby Theater video windows is jerky and slow when the video start playing and the OSD starts to disapper. Maybe a mpv issue?

I have not tried all the keyboard controls but fast forwarding with left and right arrow works.

The mpv player version tested is mpv 0.20 which maybe is to old. I installed it from https://nwgat.ninja/...or-raspberry-pi . 

The mpv config file (/home/pi/.config/mpv) I use have this line:

vo=rpi

which enable the mmal api video driver for rpi. In /boot/config.txt I have put the line gpu_mem=256 for giving the GPU 256 MB. 

I am going to compile mpv 0.23 to see if it gives any difference. I give you feedback after I have tried the new version.

embylinux-rpi.log

mgworek

Can you post your config when you having it working the way you want? That is the same setup I am going to have when my Pi 3 arrives.

Thanks!

I did have a question about the omx player. I seem to have an issue with some of the DBUS commands that are used. I checked but the commands used seem correct (based on the dbus commands listed in the dbuscontrol.sh file in the omxplayer github). I see pretty constant errors like this from the theater app while live streaming:

ERROR - Get Position Process: Error: Command failed: dbus-send --print-reply=literal --session --reply-timeout=1000 --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.omxplayer /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get string:org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player string:Position
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.omxplayer was not provided by any .service files

I'm not sure if it is related, but the live stream goes out of sync occasionally as well. The audio will speed up to 'chipmunk-like' speeds and become jerky. If left alone, it will eventually sync back up and return to normal speed. Sometimes, the audio goes to about half speed as well.

Let me know if I can provide more info to help out.

haraldov

Sorry, it is not about the OSD. I explained it wrong.

Look at the picture I attach. On the bottom of the picture you see what I mean. The bottom menu is slow to dismiss and gives artifact on the screen.

Edited by haraldov

haraldov

Also do me a favor, play a full screen video, one without black bars at the top and bottom, like a TV show or something that takes up the whole screen, can you still see the OSD on top of the video?

I don't see the OSD on top of the video when playing a full screen video. Sorry but I have problem to take a screenshoot of the full screen. The keyboard command s don't work when Emby Theater for linux is started and prt scrn gives me the OSD on top of the video.

When mpv are called with the code playbackhandler.js the option --no-osc are used which disable OSD when playing.

The mpv ipc_command should be "--input-ipc-server" from mpv version > 0.18 

mpvPlayer = new mpv({
            "ipc_command" : "--input-unix-socket",
            "socket" : "/tmp/emby.sock",
            "debug" : true
            },
            [
             "--fullscreen",
             "--no-osc"
            ]);	

post-174117-0-45003500-1483094290_thumb.png

I added an option to start omxplayer with the following option

--live        Set for live tv or vod type stream

When the item does not have a runtime which should be the case for live streams.

To get the changes run a git pull, from the emby-theatre-pi dir run:

git pull

Thanks for the update @. Tried it out this morning.

I still see the dbus errors; I've seen a few instances of the stream and audio getting garbled/out of sync, and it now appears that you can no longer pause the live stream.

I confirmed that the previous 'non-live' player code allowed pausing, but no seeking.

I have a question about guide performance. If you have a lot of channels (I have ~430 with the SD version of HD channels, etc), the guide load time is in the ~30 second range, and scrolling is multiple seconds.

I changed the number of channels retrieved to 30 (because I have ~25 favorite channels and never really watch any others) and saw a dramatic improvement. I made this change by modifying the guide.js file from the emby theater server and hosting it locally. Could this be a configuration or method parameter?

@ my personal preference right now is the non-live version. After a little googling, it seems like omxplayer doesn't allow pausing at all on live streams, so that's basically the only determining factor.

Hard to say about the speed of stream start. I don't think I noticed a difference.

Another data point: I'm starting to notice that the audio garbling/stream jitter is only happening during commercial breaks in live programming. I have no idea why that would be. I think I may only see the issue on streams that do not require MPEG2 decoding. I tested playback before purchasing the license and noticed that some channels would stream without it, and I think those are the same ones that show the stream issues.

EDIT: scratch that about MPEG2 streams. Commercial break on ESPN (which is MPEG2) just started playing garbled.

Edited by fairct

Can you post your config when you having it working the way you want? That is the same setup I am going to have when my Pi 3 arrives.

Thanks!

Right now, the only configuration I've changed in the harmony remote from the default 'windows pc' configs was to change the Play/Pause buttons to space bar, and the return and exit buttons to backspace. Allowing some of the others may require setting up global event listeners in the electron app, because the inputs seem to be managed by emby theater code. The app-command piece in the main.js which looked really promising seems to be windows-specific, which is unfortunate.

The app-command event is part of the electron api, but they have not documented which commands are supported on which operating systems.

Hopefully somebody can help unless I can figure it out. I have mce remote and it is detected out of the box I have installed lirc so I can use irw to display key presses and theater responds to some of the keys but it is not responding to enter button and back button and I can see why  in irw it is reporting them as 

160 0 KEY_OK /dev/input/event2
ae 0 KEY_EXIT /dev/input/event2

when I look at the sticky post KEY_OK should be KEY_ENTER and KEY_EXIT should be KEY_BACKSPACE
Edited by denz
  • Like 1