Linux Setup

Luke

there's only one argument and it's the program data path, but you don't even need to supply it. just omit it and it should function the same way as before.

PhAzE
@grimy55

@@grimy55 - that error is a problem with SQLite3.  When the database is not created properly you see all those error messages you see.  I fixed it by installing SQLite3 on my server, and just replacing the slqlite3.so.0.8.6 files in the mediabrowser folder with a symlink to the one you just installed.

• Like 1

PhAzE

There's a new build up to match the windows version. It's available from the same link in the first post.

Phaze - it now accepts a command line argument to supply a custom program data path. it would be the path to the folder.

Perfect, i'll try this out shortly.  I've got about 60% of the Unraid plugin completed, but it looks like until the logo is hosted, and there is a finalized location for the install, I will only be able to get it to 98% completion.

Is the link you posted in the first post going to be the final resting place for the linux version?

PhAzE

It seems this new build has changed how it runs with mono-service.  What are the command line arguments and their formats?

Running interactively in a console with mono seems to work fine.  running with mono service seems to make it lose it's runtime config.

I'm running it with this line:

sudo -u $RUNAS mono-service $INSTALLDIR/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -d:$INSTALLDIR -l:/var/run/mb3server/mb3server.lock"

where RUNAS is the user you want to run it under, INSTALLDIR (obvious) and this will create the lock file which acts like a PID so you can kill it by killing the lock.

Perfect, i'll try this out shortly.  I've got about 60% of the Unraid plugin completed, but it looks like until the logo is hosted, and there is a finalized location for the install, I will only be able to get it to 98% completion.

Is the link you posted in the first post going to be the final resting place for the linux version?

No, ultimately it will be downloadable on the website. it will use our hosting rather than a dropbox.

sylvio2000

Hello.

I own a Zyxel NSA325v2 with arm processor. Do you think it will be possible to install MB Server on this device anytime soon? I know that Plex is possible, but i really like to have MB3 on it  :)

we have an arm build script, i just haven't built it recently. we'll get it going again soon.

• Like 1

grimy55

@grimy55

@@grimy55 - that error is a problem with SQLite3.  When the database is not created properly you see all those error messages you see.  I fixed it by installing SQLite3 on my server, and just replacing the slqlite3.so.0.8.6 files in the mediabrowser folder with a symlink to the one you just installed.

You made my day. Thank you !

herbert

This is were I'm at Lubuntu Powerpc Architecture. Mono and libgdiplus compiled. http://www.lovesmesomecode.com/post/20130719-compiling-mono-3-in-ubuntu/

-------

Mono JIT compiler version 3.4.0 (tarball Sat Apr 12 00:38:43 CDT 2014)
Copyright © 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
    TLS:           __thread
    SIGSEGV:       altstack
    Notifications: epoll
    Architecture:  ppc
    Disabled:      none
    Misc:          softdebug
    GC:            sgen
-----------

env.sh file in mediabrowser folder:       /home/user/Downloads/mediabrowser    mono path is: /usr/local/etc/mono

root@lubuntu:/usr/local/etc/mono# ls
2.0  4.0  4.5  browscap.ini  config
---------

export PATH=/usr/local/etc/mono/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/etc/mono/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/etc/mono/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

---------

(Without Mono for Linux and Mac) from page 1. april 12th

root@lubuntu:/home/user/Downloads/mediabrowser# mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
The assembly mscorlib.dll was not found or could not be loaded.
It should have been installed in the `/usr/local/lib/mono/4.5/mscorlib.dll' directory.

--------
stuck here

Edited by herbert

PhAzE

Hey Luke, I noticed when setting custom directories through the GUI it will fail if the directory doesn't exist. I haven't tested the latest build but do you know if that was resolved?

It needs to make the new directories before seeing them (ie custom transcoder directory).

Mkdir -p DIRNAME

PhAzE

Also, the latest version seems to have really improved the drawing issues with chrome.  I'll test it more but i'm going to say like nearly perfect now. Also putting all the custom paths into their own page is great!

Can you tell me the default directory for the Metadata?

Edited by PhAzE
  • Like 1

PhAzE

I'm running it with this line:

sudo -u $RUNAS mono-service $INSTALLDIR/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -d:$INSTALLDIR -l:/var/run/mb3server/mb3server.lock"

where RUNAS is the user you want to run it under, INSTALLDIR (obvious) and this will create the lock file which acts like a PID so you can kill it by killing the lock.

I just upgraded to the latst build and also can't get it running with mono-service anymore.  Running by just 'mono' works so it's really strange.

smitopher

I just upgraded to the latst build and also can't get it running with mono-service anymore.  Running by just 'mono' works so it's really strange.

It "runs" but not as expected or in a useful way.  It's like it can't find it's config files.

PhAzE

It "runs" but not as expected or in a useful way.  It's like it can't find it's config files.

Oh I can't even get it to start with mono service anymore but the previous one ran perfectly.

_jonte

If you are running openelec on a raspberry pi I would not get your hopes up, if mono gets updated for the pi technically maybe you could, but it's not nearly -not even close powerful enough for doing heavy stuff like transcoding. If you don't need that or you are running openelec on something else, try it out and see if you can get it to work :) but i would move very very cautiously since openelec is designed for media playback, not running servers :)

I have an Ion2 system which seem to be able to transcode video for 720p and below, and any audio when testing with the Plex server (mentioned below). Most videos can be streamed by direct play though, while audio has to be transcoded often.

It seems that you cannot install 'things' the regular way via terminal in OE due to it missing the needed tools for that. You can however install servers etc as a add-on within xbmc (however that works..). I currently run Transmission and Plex servers.

This is why I asked if anyone had managed to install the MB server some way, despite OE's limitations. But suppose someone will have to package the server as an add-on to be able to install it inside xbmc.

Well I do agree to a point...BUT there is a Plex PMS server available for install on OpenElec and if you do have a powerful machine running OpenElec then why not have it installed on there as your main server? I would say we as a Team should be looking to eventually supply a plugin similar to the Plex PMS one that can be installed on a OpenElec machine.

For those interested the Plex one is available here for OpenElec: http://openelec.tv/forum/128-addons/57363-addon-plex-media-server

I have tried this Plex server add-on but I can unfortunately not get it to work properly as it looses the connection/stream unconditionally within 20-30s. Have tried 'all' available settings, reinstalling, stream options and different clients without success. So my hope is either for a fixed Plex server or an MB add-on for OE-xbmc. What I like about the MB over Plex is that it seems I can share the library between the two systems. With Plex I get two separate libraries.

PhAzE

Luke does the latest build have any changes made with how it demonizes? I'm not getting any error messages or logs when it fails to start with mono service now.

Edited by PhAzE

it's probably the command line argument causing the issues with the service. i'll get a new build up soon.

grimy55

The package includes a systemd unit file so the server can be started as a daemon.

I don't find this file in the package. What's its name ?

nightwulf

Hi folks. Looks like I'm late to the game, but I recently stumbled across MB3 and the linux server. Had to give it a go. Thought I'd share some of my experience to provide feedback and maybe help anyone else with similar issues ...

Running Slackware 14.1, practically "stock," using Firefox 24.1.0. Installed mono 3.23 from slackbuilds hoping I'd get somewhere without needing to mess with "bleeding edge" mono. Doing well so far, at least I think.

The link in the first post with mono embedded appears to be an old link (the server is unable to download a copy of ffmpeg from January and stops), but I found a more recent version browsing the thread.

The recent version went nowhere; browsing the log found errors relating to access to /usr/bin. I re-ran as root and found it was trying to write to /usr/bin/ProgramData-Server. I moved the contents of this directory elsewhere (writable by my mb3 user) and symlinked to /usr/bin, works fine now. The web dashboard files are apparently expected to be in /usr/bin/dashboard-ui -- I copied this directory from the file downloaded here to the mb3 user writable directory and symlinked to /usr/bin as above, again works fine.

In running the server from the command line the server appeared to attempt to launch several browsers without success (not sure I have any except FF installed) and eventually opened links in the terminal window. Yes, links! I opened "http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/wizardstart.html" in FF to continue the process; didn't get anywhere with "http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser."

I added a small Music directory to try things out. I found practically no images were displayed and noticed "not found" errors regarding /usr/lib/libgdiplus.so. I do have gdi+ installed, but at /usr/lib64/libgdiplus.so. Another symlink fixed this.

Watching the log I found that scanning appeared to stall and I couldn't find any information why. Stopping and restarting the server caused media scanning to pick right back up.

Once that was done, I added a pretty beefy Movies directory. No problems scanning this time.

Any time I'm editing metadata through the web interface the left frame shows "Loading ..." and never loads anything. What's supposed to be here? Maybe a mono issue (still on 3.23 but will upgrade if this might be an issue).

Looking forward to matching everything the scanner wasn't able to on its own and playing with a client, heh. I have a Win7-based HTPC and a Roku to play with once I have all the media in the server.

Please don't mistake this post for bitching; truly intending this as constructive information for anyone who may need it. Thanks for the software -- enjoying playing with it so for and hope to continue to do so.

3.2.3 is not going to work. that's the reason why we have the mono build instructions in the first post, which isn't really needed anymore with 3.4.

thefirstofthe300

I don't find this file in the package. What's its name ?

It should be mediabrowser.service. I will check tomorrow to make sure the file exists in the package. I also need to make other improvements to the PKGBUILD. I will try to post a new version tomorrow.

Please bear with me as this is my first ever package to maintain.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

reguila

Hi guys, 

I have a question related to Path substitution... i can't get it to work... I've got the server running on Linux (Arch Linux) and i'm trying to access the path from a windows 8 machine.

I've tried watching content trough browser but it's lagging, dunno if it's something browser related or if my cpu can't handle it.

Do i need any extra configuration for the folder (path) to be accessible from windows? Do i also need to setup a samba share to the same path i've configured in MB3 server?

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for my bad english :)

Keep up the good work.

yea thanks DaBungalow. I am in the process of clearing my plate so that releasing the linux and osx servers in packaged form will become my top priority. as soon as i get through the upcoming dlna server, this will move to the top of the list.