Linux Setup

Luke

keyz182

Hey all, I just discovered MB3, it looks perfect for what I want.

Just wanted to add to this topic to say that on the Ubuntu 14.04 beta, using the packaged Mono, it *seems* to be working correctly right off the bat. Of course, having never used MB3 before, I may be wrong.

If my testing works out, it looks like this will replace my cobbled together headless XBMC-Headless scanner+mysql for my media :)

/Keyz182

phillyfan1138

Hey all, I just discovered MB3, it looks perfect for what I want.

Just wanted to add to this topic to say that on the Ubuntu 14.04 beta, using the packaged Mono, it *seems* to be working correctly right off the bat. Of course, having never used MB3 before, I may be wrong.

If my testing works out, it looks like this will replace my cobbled together headless XBMC-Headless scanner+mysql for my media :)

/Keyz182

While the included Mono in 14.04 IS the (correct?) 3.2.8, I still can't run the server.  It errors with a SIGABRT  error and says the core was dumped.  The initial error says that there is a missing method .ctor in assembly.  I thought this may have come from using the packaged libgdiplus, have you installed libgdiplus from anywhere else or used the packaged one?

smitopher

While the included Mono in 14.04 IS the (correct?) 3.2.8, I still can't run the server.  It errors with a SIGABRT  error and says the core was dumped.  The initial error says that there is a missing method .ctor in assembly.  I thought this may have come from using the packaged libgdiplus, have you installed libgdiplus from anywhere else or used the packaged one?

I have definitely successfully run MB3 server with mono 3.2.8.  You likely do not have all of the MB3 required mono (perhaps the ubuntu equivalent of mono-devel) .  I'm not sure how much mono Ubuntu 14.04 has included and in the 3rd party built mono I used in Fedora 19(see http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/3634-linux-os-x-server/page-12&do=findComment&comment=78795 ), I had to install 3 packages to successfully run MB3.  If I were you, I'd try installing mono-complete (sudo apt-get install mono-complete)

Edited by smitopher

phillyfan1138

I have definitely successfully run MB3 server with mono 3.2.8.  You likely do not have all of the MB3 required mono (perhaps the ubuntu equivalent of mono-devel) .  I'm not sure how much mono Ubuntu 14.04 has included and in the 3rd party built mono I used in Fedora 19(see http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/3634-linux-os-x-server/page-12&do=findComment&comment=78795 ), I had to install 3 packages to successfully run MB3.  If I were you, I'd try installing mono-complete (sudo apt-get install mono-complete)

That helped...it got me to the point I was at before where it couldn't find users.db and failed. 

smitopher

That helped...it got me to the point I was at before where it couldn't find users.db and failed.

so how far does your MB3 start get? I bet it's showing an error but you're actually successfully running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phillyfan1138

so how far does your MB3 start get? I bet it's showing an error but you're actually successfully running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think its successfully running.  I cant access it from a web browser.  It gets past appHost.Init, and then a lot of "Info App, Loading Mediabrowser.x" where x is various things its loading.  It errors at "Info, SqliteUserRepository, Opening /user/MBServer.Mono/ProgramData-SErver/data/users.db", where it says "Error, Main, UnhandledException".  The folder in question does not actually contain a "users.db" which may be part of the problem?

I seem to have exceeded my upload limits as it is reporting I may only upload 23.5K and the zipped logs are

The mkbundleex logs are likely the ones you are interested it and they can fit in my quota

So this succeeded for you? I see no more errors in the log.

smitopher

So this succeeded for you? I see no more errors in the log.

Not quite

The final build seems to complete but the final archive does not

========================================
       Create release folder
========================================

Create release folder: MediaBrowser.Mono.mkbundlex.x86_64.
Extracting file  in
tar: Old option `f' requires an argument.
Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.
[smitopher@localhost ~]$

I did not dig into it

smitopher

I dont think its successfully running.  I cant access it from a web browser.  It gets past appHost.Init, and then a lot of "Info App, Loading Mediabrowser.x" where x is various things its loading.  It errors at "Info, SqliteUserRepository, Opening /user/MBServer.Mono/ProgramData-SErver/data/users.db", where it says "Error, Main, UnhandledException".  The folder in question does not actually contain a "users.db" which may be part of the problem?

I just installed Ubuntu server 14.04 in a vm.  I then installed mono-runtime and mono-devel (this seems to also install libgdiplus, an additional MB3 requirement)

sudo apt-get install mono-runtime mono-devel unzip

I downloaded and unzipped MB3.  I started it and it is now running in my VM

I would try installing mono-devel

This is the error you get until you run the web wizard for initial setup

Info, App, Core startup complete
Error, App, Error launching url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/wizardstart.html
        Cannot find the specified file
        System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
          at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_shell (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_common (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Diagnostics.Process:Start ()
          at MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.Native.BrowserLauncher.OpenUrl (System.String url, ILogger logger) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Error launching browser
I

To run the wizard, at a browser connect to

http://<your mb3 server ip address here>:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/wizardstart.html

Edited by smitopher

smitopher

So what is the latest Mono Build?  If there is, How do I get it?

Version 3.0.5188.23125A new version of Media Browser Server is available!
Version 3.0.5192.19560 is now available for download.Please shutdown the server and update manually.

The "update manually" link take me to the Windows download  :P  B)

phillyfan1138

I just installed Ubuntu server 14.04 in a vm.  I then installed mono-runtime and mono-devel (this seems to also install libgdiplus, an additional MB3 requirement)

sudo apt-get install mono-runtime mono-devel unzip

I downloaded and unzipped MB3.  I started it and it is now running in my VM

I would try installing mono-devel

This is the error you get until you run the web wizard for initial setup

Error, App, Error launching url: http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/wizardstart.html
        System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
          at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_shell (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_common (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Diagnostics.Process:Start ()
          at MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.Native.BrowserLauncher.OpenUrl (System.String url, ILogger logger) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Error launching browser
I

To run the wizard, at a browser connect to

http://<your mb3 server ip address here>:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/wizardstart.html

Yeah I don't get to that error.  I have installed mono-runtime and mono-devel to no avail.  I am running 14.04 server, not the normal ubuntu.

smitopher

Yeah I don't get to that error.  I have installed mono-runtime and mono-devel to no avail.  I am running 14.04 server, not the normal ubuntu.

It does take a while the first time you try to start MB3 as I think it is downloading some additional components (ffmpeg?).  

The VM I created only has Ubuntu Server 14.04, and the following added packages

openssh-server

unzip

mono-runtime

mono-devel

Not sure why you are not getting any MB3 luv  :(

phillyfan1138

It does take a while the first time you try to start MB3 as I think it is downloading some additional components (ffmpeg?).  

The VM I created only has Ubuntu Server 14.04, and the following added packages

openssh-server

unzip

mono-runtime

mono-devel

Not sure why you are not getting any MB3 luv  :(

i don't know whats wrong with my setup then.  I had this same error when I was running xbmcbuntu which I believe was based on lubuntu 13.04.  Thanks for your help, I guess I'll just have to wait for a packaged MBServer.

heffe2001

Could it be a permissions thing on that particular directory?  If it's not able to create that file due to permissions, it'd error out.  You could always try creating a dummy file first but not sure if that'd help or hurt...

If you wanted to try that:

touch /user/MBServer.Mono/ProgramData-SErver/data/users.db

That should create the file in question.

LeftForPlex

Running without issues now inside of Ubuntu.  As for Live TV is there any plan to allow for MB3 to connect to a remote host with ServerMC installed for Live TV playback?  If not, then most likely I will just end up virtualizing a VM, and going that route.

Thanks!

-Marcus

LeftForPlex

Running without issues now inside of Ubuntu.  As for Live TV is there any plan to allow for MB3 to connect to a remote host with ServerMC installed for Live TV playback?  If not, then most likely I will just end up virtualizing a VM, and going that route.

Thanks!

-Marcus

• Like 1

phillyfan1138

Could it be a permissions thing on that particular directory?  If it's not able to create that file due to permissions, it'd error out.  You could always try creating a dummy file first but not sure if that'd help or hurt...

If you wanted to try that:

touch /user/MBServer.Mono/ProgramData-SErver/data/users.db

That should create the file in question.

I had thought about it being a permissions issue but using sudo didn't help.  

When I create the user.db I get a slightly different error:  "System.AggregateException", and then "System.DllnotFoundException" ./sqlite3/linux/lib64/libsqlite3.  I have sqlite installed, but I don't have a 64 bit machine.  

Silvaire

I'm attempting to test out this software on my Ubuntu 12.04 server but having some difficulty.  It either hangs at the checking plugin updates stage, or crashes.  I've still been able to go through the wizard sometimes but it's pretty unstable.

Here is a log of it crashing:

Info, PlayTo, PlayTo-Manager starting
Info, App, HttpClientManager GET: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/blog/rss/1-media-browser-developers-blog
Info, App, HttpClientManager GET: http://www.mb3admin.com/admin/service/MB3ServerNotifications.json
Info, App, StartupTrigger fired for task: Cache file cleanup
Info, App, Executing Cache file cleanup
Info, App, StartupTrigger fired for task: Log file cleanup
Info, App, Executing Log file cleanup
Info, App, Cache file cleanup Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
Info, App, StartupTrigger fired for task: Check for plugin updates
Info, App, Executing Check for plugin updates
Stacktrace:

Native stacktrace:

mono() [0x4a9f1d]
        mono() [0x4ff74f]
        mono() [0x41fd17]
        /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0xfcb0) [0x7fda5038fcb0]
        mono() [0x5d23a1]
        mono() [0x57acc3]
        mono() [0x5c8b8f]
        mono() [0x5ca66d]
        mono() [0x5cb2a4]
        mono() [0x5cec1b]
        mono(mono_gc_collect+0x28) [0x5cf038]
        [0x4022829a]

Debug info from gdb:

=================================================================
Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.
=================================================================

Aborted (core dumped)

Can The Linux and OS X Mono threads be made into separate Threads?  It's starting to get confusing.

Certainly.

Can The Linux and OS X Mono threads be made into separate Threads?  It's starting to get confusing.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/5883-os-x-server/

If you're using the OS X server please say hello in there. I'd like to know who the testers are in case I need to call on any of you for testing help. Thanks.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/5883-os-x-server/

If you're using the OS X server please say hello in there. I'd like to know who the testers are in case I need to call on any of you for testing help. Thanks.

heffe2001

Not sure exactly why, but on the mono version, I get tons of slowness (not when playing video usually, but in the UI).  I can bring up the server on chrome on my windows box, get to the login screen, and log in.  Sometimes it'll display the entire UI when it's logged in, sometimes not.  If I go to the media display, I may get a full ui load, but then again most times (I'd say better than 50% anyway), I get a screen with the top menus, and blanks at the bottom (maybe a few posters filled in).  If I hover over a show, I may get extended info (the name scrolls up, stars, etc), or I may get a an error flash on the screen (not ready, or something else).

This is on my test unraid box (slackware 14.1-based, using Phaze's mono tgz package), and also on the same machine in a VM under Fedora 20 using the repo in the first post's files.  The machine isn't under powered or anything like that, it's an AMD 8-core FX-8320 3.5ghz CPU, 24g memory, with the MediaBrowser files on a separate drive from the raid drives (it's on a Velociraptor 500g drive I had as a spare).  I know this is a beta, and when it works, it does work ok, just getting some oddities.  It's a bit more stable under IE, but for example, the trailers never populate thumbnails, but most of  my movies do (the ones that done actually have the artwork, but just won't display it for some odd reason).  Don't have any of these issues under the Windows version, just works.  Also from remote it's almost unusable in a browser (it works fairly well on my win 8.1 tablet with the app though).  Would logs help diagnose the browser issues?  I can grab a snapshot of them and post if needed.