Google Drive as source

tatumana

jaketame

I would like to help test this solution out... Let me know where to go to get the ball rolling...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
mrmachine

Please implement this. Plex Cloud did it and was the *only* setup I have found that allows me access to my content from multiple locations and able to successfully stream high bitrate (65Mbps HDR) without any buffering. Google Drive File Stream and rclone mount (with/without cache), plexdrive, locally or on VPS even with 80Mbps+ speed test to home, all buffer.

• Like 1

ddurdle

Please implement this. Plex Cloud did it and was the *only* setup I have found that allows me access to my content from multiple locations and able to successfully stream high bitrate (65Mbps HDR) without any buffering. Google Drive File Stream and rclone mount (with/without cache), plexdrive, locally or on VPS even with 80Mbps+ speed test to home, all buffer.

That's why I came up with Python-GoogleDrive-VideoStream.  Streaming some really hard-core 4K HDR with bit rates > 100Mbps without buffering and caching.

• Like 1

jaketame

That's why I came up with Python-GoogleDrive-VideoStream.  Streaming some really hard-core 4K HDR with bit rates > 100Mbps without buffering and caching.

Hows the development going? I just had a brief look at github and seem to be some movement for non existing users?

BarryAmerika

I'm a non existing user and was able to install and use it. I think the only thing I had to do that I didn't see mentioned was install Python 2.7 and of course change permissions, executable and read write for directories to save STRM files and logs if used. It really is quite amazing to me.

ddurdle

I'm a non existing user and was able to install and use it. I think the only thing I had to do that I didn't see mentioned was install Python 2.7 and of course change permissions, executable and read write for directories to save STRM files and logs if used. It really is quite amazing to me.

It helps to make the STRM folder group owner emby with read-write permissions to group emby.  This way you can also have emby save nfo and artwork in the STRM folders.

• Like 1

ddurdle

Hows the development going? I just had a brief look at github and seem to be some movement for non existing users?

The base install is easy and you are up and running quickly (if you are running linux).  Python 2.7 should be used (installed on all linux systems).  Fairly simple to get started.  Git clone the repository, start the service (by using the service script or simple "python default.py").  Then navigate to localhost:9988, go into settings and assign a username/password for the web ui sign-in, specify a log path (if desired), change passthrough to enable (highly recommended!).  Click save, click reload.  "Enroll account" -- pretty straightforward, follow the prompts.  Once enrolled, you can try to playback something via the web ui to validate it works (if you enable passthrough then if you try to playback a MKV file, it will download it rather then play it).  Create a scheduled task to scrape your media to a folder(s) location on the server.  Enroll the folder(s) in the media library in Emby.  Viola.  Fini.

It works on Windows too, but I don't provide EXE files.  Also, on some Windows installs, forking may pose an issue, so you may need to run the scheduler as a separate process (pytthon scheduler.py).

The more advanced options like utilizing Google Transcode in place of emby server transcoding are a bit more complicated to set up.

• Like 2

BarryAmerika

Thanks ddurdle - I have some questions but I guess github/discord would be a better place to ask.

jaketame

Tha

The base install is easy and you are up and running quickly (if you are running linux).  Python 2.7 should be used (installed on all linux systems).  Fairly simple to get started.  Git clone the repository, start the service (by using the service script or simple "python default.py").  Then navigate to localhost:9988, go into settings and assign a username/password for the web ui sign-in, specify a log path (if desired), change passthrough to enable (highly recommended!).  Click save, click reload.  "Enroll account" -- pretty straightforward, follow the prompts.  Once enrolled, you can try to playback something via the web ui to validate it works (if you enable passthrough then if you try to playback a MKV file, it will download it rather then play it).  Create a scheduled task to scrape your media to a folder(s) location on the server.  Enroll the folder(s) in the media library in Emby.  Viola.  Fini.

It works on Windows too, but I don't provide EXE files.  Also, on some Windows installs, forking may pose an issue, so you may need to run the scheduler as a separate process (pytthon scheduler.py).

The more advanced options like utilizing Google Transcode in place of emby server transcoding are a bit more complicated to set up.

Thanks... Which discord are you on so I can flesh out some more install instructions for google transcode?

mrmachine

@@ddurdle thanks for pointing me at this! I've got it working (and I left a slue of questions/suggestions on GitHub issues). It's disappointing that the Play Store apps won't allow direct play of strm files. Perhaps you could point people towards an unofficial apk to sideload, instead?

mrmachine

@@Luke Does/can Emby also release an Android TV apk (non-Play Store) build that is official, but must be installed manually and does not have this restriction?

it's doable but it's not something that could be whipped up quickly. We have to remove all association from our developer account and the existing app, and that would take a decent amount of work.

• Like 1

mrmachine

@@Luke that would be amazing.

Why do you need to strip code out? I'm no expert, so I don't mean to suggest it is easy without any knowledge of the codebase, but at work we release an Android app as a Google Play Store edition (with in-app purchases) and one without. We only need to disable the in-app purchase code for the standalone build. The app/bundle/etc name are all still the same, so users can switch from one version to the other with their data intact.

Like I said, the whole reason I started looking at Emby was because Plex Cloud is going away. I was using Plex Cloud to direct play content from Google Drive which works great at home and for friends/family who share my library. To do this with Emby I need to use strm files generated by Python-GoogleDrive-VideoStream, which also works great, except for the Google Play Store Emby client which is forced to do direct stream.

This would be a killer feature for me.

lepitismak

Why do you need to strip code out? I'm no expert, so I don't mean to suggest it is easy without any knowledge of the codebase, but at work we release an Android app as a Google Play Store edition (with in-app purchases) and one without. We only need to disable the in-app purchase code for the standalone build. The app/bundle/etc name are all still the same, so users can switch from one version to the other with their data intact.

Like I said, the whole reason I started looking at Emby was because Plex Cloud is going away. I was using Plex Cloud to direct play content from Google Drive which works great at home and for friends/family who share my library. To do this with Emby I need to use strm files generated by Python-GoogleDrive-VideoStream, which also works great, except for the Google Play Store Emby client which is forced to do direct stream.

where i can find this python program? can send a link?

Because if it's the same package id then it will still be associated with the store version.

Well you could change the package ID via build script with the conditional features.  But once this is setup with minimal changes to the build scripts you'll be able to pump out multiple versions quite easily going forward.

• Like 2

ddurdle

@@ddurdle thanks for pointing me at this! I've got it working (and I left a slue of questions/suggestions on GitHub issues). It's disappointing that the Play Store apps won't allow direct play of strm files. Perhaps you could point people towards an unofficial apk to sideload, instead?

Have you tried the external player option in the emby app on android?

Edited by ddurdle

lepitismak

Have you tried the external player option in the emby app on android?

I do not know if it tried, but I've tried and it keeps pulling bandwidth where the emby server is installed.