Google Drive as source

tatumana

• 1 month later...
KarlDag

Maybe I'm confused...

How would it work without running Emby Server? At the very least, wouldn't Emby need to be running to direct the client to Google Drive? In theory, the content could direct play after that, but I would think you would at least need it to get started.

I am guessing poor English translation. He is referring to having an Emby server in the cloud and his data being accessible in the cloud as well. If you aren't already familiar with the concept, look up Plex Cloud. No local server is required as Plex is hosting your server for you.

No. Way before they did Plex Cloud they introduced Cloud sync. Cloud Syncs a version of your file to the cloud, and that can be streamed even if your server is completely shut off. No transcoding or subtitles or any other option is available, though.

It is also A VERY buggy feature. When I tried it, most files would never upload to the cloud.

Google Cloud Storage has everything stored encrypted with a key that only you have.

why would you want to integrate google drive? you know they narc on people right?

sansoo22

Google Cloud Storage has everything stored encrypted with a key that only you have.

Google Cloud Storage may have everything encrypted but I assure you that Google Drive does not.  Nearly every Google consumer grade service is scraped by their bots for ad targeting and other metrics.  That being said the cursory search I did in a few places that are gathering spots for attaining content by a means not supported by Emby or any of its subsidiaries did elude to the notion that storing content within Drive should be perfectly safe.  The caveat is that you can not share this content.  All shared content is checked by the Content ID algorithm, or something similar, that is used to ensure YouTube is not hosting content that infringes intellectual properties.  This includes content that you own but in some way had to circumvent DRM in order to host on Google Drive.

My concern, and I believe it to be a legit one, is that users will abuse the ability to host content they sourced by illegal means in the cloud.  And this abuse could shine a negative light on Emby, garnering it the same bad name that Kodi has as the media platform of content pirates.  I don't spend a lot of time reading up on Kodi but every time I do a sizable number of the comments are centered around 3rd party streaming of movies.  And I don't mean Amazon Prime video.  I think Kodi is a great platform but the lack of support on devices is why I chose Emby.  I think Kodi unfairly gets flagged as the pirates choice but it happened and now Emby has at least lapped it on device support.

In our ever connected world it only takes one piece of bad press showing  how Emby makes it easy to view or share protected content and Amazon or Roku pull it from their app store.  I feel like that is what happened to Kodi even though it was probably just a small percentage of users that took advantage of illegal streaming.  

I don't think we should let this stand in the way of innovation but at the same time i would hate to be first to market with this in a world of murky rules around content ownership and watch a small percentage of users ruin it for everyone else.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
ddurdle

I have an alpha build of an EmbyServer Google Drive plugin available.  Right now, alpha version 0 build does require the user to have at leased used KODI once to configure the required settings and to enroll an account.  After the config file is generated, the app runs standalone.

I'll be building a process co configure the EmbyServer app without using KODI in a later alpha build.

• Like 1

Three reasons why this feature will be useful and awesome:

1. Cloud is the future and today the cost is affordable. I have a Google Drive Unlimited for $50/month (ie $600/year) and I have unlimited space that is secured against crashes. Knowing the cost of hard drive and the cost of power consumption, its a very good deal.

2. Google Drive transcode video file. This provides different stream quality like Youtube (1080p, 720p, 480p and 360p) and the "image quality/compression ratio" is very satisfying. I can play 720p video on my poor 4 Mbits DSL.

3. You don't need to have a big server. Personally, I opted for a little dedicated server (Kimsufi 2G) for the cost and I can leave it run 24/7! Furthermore, me and my friends can watch movies from anywhere!

Secured against what? Not silent corruption / bitrot.

You can just mount remote filesystems like Google Drive or SSH, thanks to FUSE. If you play around with the mount options you should be able to get a decent performance.

See e.g. https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-mount-your-google-drive-on-linux-with-google-drive-ocamlfuse/

ddurdle

Did you do it as a channel plugin?

No, but I can look into making it load a channel plugin -- I would just need to research into what a channel plugin is, which I'm doing right now :)

I had a few emby members come to me and show me how they were playing back Google Drive content using Emby but on KODI devices.  So it was Emby Server -> KODI client -> Google Drive plugin for KODI.  Obviously it does the job of indexing files in Emby, but it also means you can't playback content on any device that doesn't have the Emby for KODI installed.  So I first started with taking precisely what they were doing today and remove KODI from the list so they can playback their STRM files from any device that has Emby installed.

Gaspar Filmes

I totally approve this thread, since the major gdrive links are set to expire, and testing some tricks with another way to get gdrive direct with no expire links  (LH3...), they work for a short time daily. Its a hard job to make this manually via .strm files. I tried a lot to work on gdrive, but no lucky. Lets get some votes, thanx!

• 2 weeks later...
ddurdle

I totally approve this thread, since the major gdrive links are set to expire, and testing some tricks with another way to get gdrive direct with no expire links  (LH3...), they work for a short time daily. Its a hard job to make this manually via .strm files. I tried a lot to work on gdrive, but no lucky. Lets get some votes, thanx!

I have a solution to make permanent static links here -> https://github.com/ddurdle/Python-GoogleDrive-StaticLinks

Guest keithcq71

Where can we test the Emby plugin for g drive? How is transcoding handled and how many devices per account. The g drive I have on Kodi handles 5 of my devices. 

• 2 weeks later...
ddurdle

Where can we test the Emby plugin for g drive? How is transcoding handled and how many devices per account. The g drive I have on Kodi handles 5 of my devices. 

Alpha testing is complete (testing with users who are able to run the plugin from source and helped me test.  Beta testing with public is ready.  I'm generating the compiled versions tonight and will post here the links and hopefully shortly after that a video demonstration.  It should be fairly straight forward to start using.  I'll try to post the step-by-step instructions.  You will be able to enroll, modify settings and create STRM files.  Sounds like you are familiar with the gdrive plugin for KODI and this has the same interface.

I'm not sure what you mean by "handles 5 of my devices".  The plugin installs on the Emby Server.  The client doesn't matter, it'll work on any clients via the Emby Server.

Right now transcoding works by whatever the settings you define in the web ui.  I'll include a picture to make it clear, but works same way as the KODI plugin.  If you allow Google transcoding, your client will automatically select the transcoded stream based on how you define your settings.  I'm workout out how to allow the user to select the transcoded resolution during playback.  There is the standard Emby transcoding selection as part of the player.  If you change it from "auto - direct", then it will use your Emby Server to transcode-on-the-fly like it would for any media file.  If you use the default "auto - direct", it will either use original quality or a Google transcoded 1080/720p/480p/360p/240p based on your preference you define.  There is no impact on Emby Server for the Google transcoded streams, all the work is done on the Google Drive side.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

the problem with plexdrive is the subs!. Many time to start with subs enabled. couse ffmpeg extract subs first, and against plexdrive -> gdrive the extract speed is about 8x-10x too slow.

:(

I dont know how to fix this.

the problem with plexdrive is the subs!. Many time to start with subs enabled. couse ffmpeg extract subs first, and against plexdrive -> gdrive the extract speed is about 8x-10x too slow.

:(

I dont know how to fix this.

External srt subtitles will be much more efficient.

External srt subtitles will be much more efficient.

Yes bu will be nice a task to extract subs in all library's or extracts subs when library scans. Couse if I extract subs manually and I put them with the video file then I have all subs in mkv + the extracted, is not a clean way to select the subs. Or even will be nice if you play a video with a selected subtitle , the playback must start before sub extract and let ffmpeg process extract the sub in background, when the sub is extracted will be displayed or even in the next playback of that movie.

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk

Great. Is there a way to test the plugin for emby? Seems that this is what I'm searching for...

Gesendet von meinem MHA-L29 mit Tapatalk

BigDaddyJay

Exactly how long do you think it will take google to shutdown such an implementation due to "possible copyright infringement"? 1 month? 1 year?

I've got 26TB on Gdrive business for just over a year now.  No problems.  Well worth the $600/yr.