H.264 in an .MKV, is transcoding really necessary?

halfer

Hello.

I recenrly switched to Emby from a Kodi+Plex setup. A unified library is really handy, and Emby for Kodi is miles better than PleXBMC, however, the mobile devices don't work as well. On this page it says that direct play is only supported with H.264 encoded video in .MP4, .MOV and .M4V containers, however, Plex offered direct playback of H.264 in an .MKV (it still had to transcode when selecting subtitles, even .srt's, but that's another story). Is this feature planned? I can just use Kodi on a jailbroken iPad, but the interface clearly wasn't made with touchscreens in mind.

Thanks in advance

Edited by halfer

We're using the stock player so i think as of now it is although I'll have to test and see if the recent improvements that were made in Chrome can be applied here as well. One thing about srt though is that we don't require transcoding for that. We can actually pull those subtitles down to the app in text format and feed them to the player that way.

• Like 1

We're using the stock player so i think as of now it is although I'll have to test and see if the recent improvements that were made in Chrome can be applied here as well. One thing about srt though is that we don't require transcoding for that. We can actually pull those subtitles down to the app in text format and feed them to the player that way.

Thanks for such a fast answer!

Is remuxing on the fly possible? That + converting AC3 and DTS into AAC seemed to work really well for alternatives, it's super fast too

• Like 1

Deihmos

Thanks for such a fast answer!

Is remuxing on the fly possible? That + converting AC3 and DTS into AAC seemed to work really well for alternatives, it's super fast too

I agree. Remuxing is great and I don't even see it using the cpu more than 1%

Yea that's what we're doing in the chrome browser but it does not work with the stock ios video player so we'll need to seek alternative solutions.