Android Mobile

Redshirt

Sorry I keep posting. I think I've read this issue elsewhere but another thing is that when I play on android using HLS after "X" amount of time it starts stuttering, I'm on Nexus 5, android 4.4.4, I'll boot over to L also and check if the stuttering has been fixed over there. I also spoke too soon about subtitles working 100% for srt on hls, there are some sub files that don't seem to work srt on hls that do work on the web client.

Redshirt

There seem to be issues related to subtitle handling and playback, HLS seems to handle the subtitles better than non HLS. Non HLS I can select subs and it thinks they are selected but nothing is playing back. HLS will play back "some" subs but not all. Could you tell me where the logs are kept on the android client device so I could find them and upload them along with the server logs, is there any particular portion of the server logs that would be more relevant than not? In addition playback of srt works fine under HLS for English language subtitles, can't seem to get Chinese language subs to playback in android or in mediabrowser theater but they playback with 0 issue from the web client. I can't get .ass subs to playback from any client no matter what I do, which I find strange since .ass should theoretically be easier to support from a transcoding perspective with HLS? Maybe I'm off there. Anyways if you can tell me exactly which logs would be helpful I can try and get the information to you. Thank you so much for ALL of the things you have done.

I may have to look at having the server burn in subtitles when in Chinese and Japanese languages. Seems android is notoriously bad at handling them. 

Also I have noticed an issue where the 'set played' tag is refreshing and shows that have already been watched are showing up again in the "next up" section. Not sure if I can provide any logs or screenshots to track down this issue?

I've not seen that, but I'll look into it.

Sorry I keep posting. I think I've read this issue elsewhere but another thing is that when I play on android using HLS after "X" amount of time it starts stuttering, I'm on Nexus 5, android 4.4.4, I'll boot over to L also and check if the stuttering has been fixed over there. I also spoke too soon about subtitles working 100% for srt on hls, there are some sub files that don't seem to work srt on hls that do work on the web client.

That's a known issue with HLS on devices running 4.4.3 or newer. Google made changes that broke the internal media player for a lot of developers.

I'm not sure if its helpful, I do know that the MxPlayer app on Android manages to handle subtitles from any language I've thrown at it in any format even allowing adjustments on the fly to the timing without burning them in, I'm completely unaware of how they are achieving this but it seems to be flawless unless something is wrong with the actual subtitle file itself. In addition it might again be a limitation of HLS on newer versions of android or just HLS in general, I've noticed HLS has significantly more artifacting and overall bad quality at lower bitrates than the webm vorbis transcoding that is done when I turn HLS off, for example at 250 kbps with HLS off it is actually completely watchable, 450 and 650 is actually quite good but for HLS 250 is too much artifacting and it doesn't deal well with faster motion, at 450 it becomes barely usable and 650 becomes about the minimum acceptable quality. Any ideas ? Does seem HLS is about 100 fps easier to transcode on my cpu though ...

Yesterday I said I'd go ahead and test HLS playback on Android L just to see if it would have been fixed by google, I tried on every preview of L that there is so far available and experienced the same issue on all of them, after reading and testing it does appear that HLS plays back fine from android native client if you use the bigbuck video as an example, not sure what is different about how its being handled, next I'm going to test Cyanogenmod in the latest versions to see if they have implemented any kinds of fixes for HLS on newer versions of android.

Ok, so changing the date settings seems to have resolved the issue of things reappearing in the "next up" section, hopefully that is what was causing it, I'll continue to look over the next few days. Tested latest version of Cyanogenmod to see if possibly they had implemented any fixes for the HLS issues, however it is still a huge problem there also, which I assumed it would be, just wishful thinking I guess. Looking into the problem I have seen that several of the streaming applications appear to have switched to using the Mpeg-Dash as a workaround / replacement for HLS, supposedly its better, haven't had much time to do in depth reading on it though, but its a possible option to fix / replace HLS? 

Is there any way I could help solve these problems, I believe Dash to be a theoretical better than HLS in its open sourceness and potential but from reading doesn't seem as developed as the current HLS is, not sure if there is anything I could help with or any way I could contribute to development.

Redshirt

mpeg dash is planned, no ETA at this point though. Once it's in the server, then compatible clients will move to incorporate it. 

What is the recommended player for Android? Stock? Or any specific 3rd party app? Looking for the one that will allow the larger number of direct stream formats.

Redshirt

a lot of external players have better codec support than core Android so external is more likely to direct stream content. With external players you lose position reporting to the server and possibly other features as they make their way into the client. I personally don't think transcoding media is a high price to pay.

Redshirt

@@Aeolius

Can you confirm that your subtitle issues are entirely language specific? All my subtitles are English external .srt and play back fine regardless of hls enabled or disabled. I don't know if server handles ssa/ass so would prefer not to add them to the equation yet.

The client logs are located in SDCard\MB3AndroidData\Logs. Please don't send them all. If you want to help me get to the bottom of this, it's best if you delete all your server and client logs. Perform a test. Then provide server/client and transcode (if generated) logs for each test. 

Ok I'll perform some tests tomorrow, late here now, I can confirm most English .srt subtitles will play on the android client with hls enabled, without hls no subtitles show up.Chinese language .srt is only working for me from the web client and not from android or media browser theater, and actually it's not working on the web client on android thru the chrome browser just through the web client on pc's. So tomorrow I'll delete all my logs then run a tv show without subs selected, then with English subs selected then with Chinese subs selected all subs will be in srt format. Any other tests I should run?

@@dibsta

I'm still observing to make sure it has gone away because previously I had no idea what was causing it, it would seemingly be a random happenstance. So I'm not sure how to reproduce it.

blade005

What is the recommended player for Android? Stock? Or any specific 3rd party app? Looking for the one that will allow the larger number of direct stream formats.

If you are going to go the External Payer path, I would recommend MX Player on Android. Good support for most file formats with nice feature set, mostly controlled by on screen touches (i.e. Volume, Brightness, Seeking, etc.)

• Like 2

Hls with English subs in srt format at 250kbps: subs playing without issue. Didn't try skipping around or anything on the video

Edited by Redshirt

His with Chinese subs in srt format, made sure last night these subs play fine with web client on pc. Subs are not showing up at all. Did not skip around.

Edited by Redshirt

Without hls Chinese subs 250 kbps no skipping, subs don't play, video actually stuttered 2 times, could just be me making my computer go crazy though...

Edited by Redshirt

@@CBers, I was just doing those for testing but I can do them at higher bitrates, I haven't noticed the bitrates affecting subtitle playback, I have noticed the HLS issues caused by the newer versions of android take longer to show up at lower bitrates and I didn't want that to affect anything.