Emby Theater

Luke

Xzener

I also feel we need to redirect our attention, change gears, get Emby Theater up to speed and release a new beta to the masses. I know Aphid is hard at work, but he seems all alone. I cant believe there aren't more Devs helping out and helping him polish a new release. Windows 10 is right around the corner. Wouldn't it be nice for a HUGE Windows client release to go along side Windows 10??

• Like 6

AdrianW

It would be great if Emby Theater could get to Emby Classic's level of usability and features.

• Like 2

Shaun

I used to do a lot of development with Theater.  Luke and  Aphid  decided to do a total rewrite without having the ability to deliver it in a reasonable span of time (in now more that a year since we have seen any real progress) and I would guess we are still a long ways from a usable product (that contains just the base functionality). 

Luke and Aphid don't have the time and skill to build a product like Theater by them selves and yet have picked a path that has frozen out all development while they play about.

I not critical of the aims, or the work ethic, just the naive approach.

I think they need to be realistic about where the product is now and what work is required to turn it into a real product.

Leaving it as Aphid's toy for some undetermined future span of time is not going to advance it as a usable product.

The only real alternative, Emby web client may have fantastic  usability and a great GUI but lets face it, the play quality is pretty awful. It's a great admin and reference platform, but  is not acceptable for actually playing media.

If I sound disenchanted, its because I resent having 100s of  hours of my and others work wasted by an over ambitious and naive approach to product development.

I am happy to share the email thread where we discussed this over a year ago and I and others (the other frequent contributes)  predicted that a single person total restructure of the product could not be delivered in a reasonable time.

How about we look at what assets we have in place now a try to build a reasonable plan to deliver a healthy base for mufti user development

Shaun

Edited by Shaun
  • Like 3

shaefurr

I wish something would happen with it, Windows I assume is probably the main platform for most users, which is sad Emby still doesn't have a good standalone windows client like Plex. MBT as it is now still never got finished before the entering the overhaul.

And I have to agree here, its been a year now waiting and while what Aphid has been working on looks excellent, it still seems pretty far from finished. Personally I could care less about tons of server features if I don't have a decent client to watch anything on.

• Like 5

Xzener

Shaun,

I appreciate the 100s hours of work you and other put into MBT. I use it, mostly, in my theater at home... I have been asking for redirection on the Devs priorities, but mobile clients (and small standalone devices) are all the rage I guess. My living room and theater room are desperately waiting for Emby Theater progression. I have tested Aphids builds, but can't bring myself to like the layouts. Aphid is working as much as he can, but without a solid team (Devs, testers, artists, etc), I'm afraid the revamped Emby Theater may never get off the ground. I miss the days where we were banging out features and improvements on MBT like "it" was all the rage.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Shaun,

I doubt posting dev discussion emails is a good idea, but I definitely would like to see progress on the next build of Emby theater.

The lack of progress on this client is one of the reasons I'm looking for new options for our primary viewing tv.  I need something that will pass through audio unaltered and isn't kodi or wmc.  Theater should be that option but it's never been stable enough IMO.

Shaun

I would not really post the dev dsicussion thread, that would be poor form, I just wanted to make clear, there was a robust discussion more that a year ago with very much a minor group (2) in favor of the approach that was taken

Let's not dwell on the past, let's focus on what's ahead. We have a very promising new version coming, and a few interested parties who are available to contribute. Shaun, if you are as well, then that gives us another person.

• Like 2

Xzener

I have MBT passing audio unaltered... What is your PC setup Deathsquirrel?? Just installed W8.1, was working fine in W7 too. It does take a bit of trial and error to get it working I have to admit.

Edited by Xzener

shaefurr

Emby, Your media on any device, except Windows :P

Seriously though, I think the devs are more concerned with covering all the devices out there with apps rather than MBT. It's not like this is the first time people complained the overhaul was taking forever and wanted more devs on it.

• Like 4

saitoh183

Emby, Your media on any device, except Windows :P

Seriously though, I think the devs are more concerned with covering all the devices out there with apps rather than MBT. It's not like this is the first time people complained the overhaul was taking forever and wanted more devs on it.

This is true...right now Kodi is my go to client for Emby until Theater comes to light. I (and im sure many others) seem to feel that the server is getting way too much attention while everything else seems to be always playing catch up...Theater should be the flagship client and not MBC or any other client.

• Like 2

Deathsquirrel

I have MBT passing audio unaltered... What is your PC setup Deathsquirrel?? Just installed W8.1, was working fine in W7 too. It does take a bit of trial and error to get it working I have to admit.

When it hasn't crashed or gone out of full screen and chosen to display on an imaginry monitor ten feet to the right of my tv, it does just fine with audio.  It's other clients I find wanting on the audio front.  For me theater just needs to stay fullscreen, not crash, and be a bit easier to navigate with large libraries.

dark_slayer

Everyone is aware plex doesn't make their own client, right? They also don't have the devs to do this. There are so many basic features out there that require a great deal of work or rely on 3rd party bundles that would be windows only

Plex HT is just a fork of XBMCv12 which is why it's free on windows and osx. There are also unofficial Linux PPAs for it as well. They didn't build any of it's basic audio/video capabilities. That's a smart move, IMO

Shaun

Luke

Can you give us (all interested parties) a feature list and a schedule - something concrete

• Like 5

Luke

Can you give us (all interested parties) a feature list and a schedule - something concrete

Yes. Tom and I will discuss and I'll pull you into the loop.

• Like 2

Xzener

So they took a Porsche and stuck a Ford emblem on it?? I'm surprised the Kodi Devs didn't have something to say about that.

Kodi is open source. So in the entire Android operating system which is what Amazon has built their devices on top of.

dark_slayer

So they took a Porsche and stuck a Ford emblem on it?? I'm surprised the Kodi Devs didn't have something to say about that.

There is a lot of hate for plex in the kodi forums, but some love as well

Like it or not, they released a legitimate GPL fork of their code. The kodi devs are aware of this . . . now if plex started charging money for kodi's work it would probably see some litigation unless they agreed ahead of time. The forked clients have always been free though

saitoh183

There is a lot of hate for plex in the kodi forums, but some love as well

Like it or not, they released a legitimate GPL fork of their code. The kodi devs are aware of this . . . now if plex started charging money for kodi's work it would probably see some litigation unless they agreed ahead of time. The forked clients have always been free though

Let us not deviate from the subject :)

Xzener

Luke or Aphid, is it difficult to adjust the layouts with the new Emby Theater? The new details page, as well as the main page, seems to crowded. MBT has a little unused space between the tiles... IMO, it looks less cluttered that way.

Xzener

I think I speak for most testers when I say... I will put aside many, many hours of my time to help test, give feedback, feature requests, and design opinions to help get Emby Theater up to speed... WHOS WITH ME??!!

• Like 8

saitoh183

I think I speak for most testers when I say... I will put aside many, many hours of my time to help test, give feedback, feature requests, and design opinions to help get Emby Theater up to speed... WHOS WITH ME??!!

I would be but i think its not the lack of testing, its the lack of dev bodies if they are only 2 working on it. If you look at the Devs working on the Emby for Kodi...they are 5 and that project is getting to the point of stable very quickly.

• Like 1

Shaun

I personally don't like the new layouts, they are ugly, hard and fairly slow to navigate with a remote.

I would have like to see a basic infrastructure that would have supported felixable layouts.

allowing those of us who prefer something much closer to the web client than the current layout

which seems to owe it design to small screens platforms like IOS and andriod

• Like 1

Shaun

I'm happy to put some real skin into the app but not without a plan and date and real feature set defined.

• Like 2

I personally don't like the new layouts, they are ugly, hard and fairly slow to navigate with a remote.

I would have like to see a basic infrastructure that would have supported felixable layouts.

allowing those of us who prefer something much closer to the web client than the current layout

which seems to owe it design to small screens platforms like IOS and andriod

I wouldn't worry. That's what I can help with. The infrastructure is very strong and that's what's important.

• Like 1