[Dev] EmbyTV a livetv client for Network Tuners (HDHomerun at the moment)

jose

pir8radio

along with my issue above that seems to have resolved itself......       Is there any way to remove channels from showing up in EmbyTV?    I would love to remove the Spanish channels, and non HD duplicates. 

in the plugin settings you can limit it to your favorite hdhomerun channels. you can also use all of the normal emby facilities to hide content

• Like 1

pir8radio

in the plugin settings you can limit it to your favorite hdhomerun channels. you can also use all of the normal emby facilities to hide content

Perfect!    I will look for the "favorite" option...      I also appreciate everyone answering my questions when I don't have the patients to search for the answer..   :rolleyes:

drakus72

along with my issue above that seems to have resolved itself......       Is there any way to remove channels from showing up in EmbyTV?    I would love to remove the Spanish channels, and non HD duplicates. 

In schedules direct you can edit your channels that you want to appear and not appear.

For example, I go in to my account and edit my listing and click on channel 4 (very low signal from Milwaukie) and it will remove them from listing.

See below

55b00fcc1074e_2.jpg

I get stations from both Chicago & South Bend and 95% signal + for all of them listed in RED

Edited by drakus72

pir8radio

@@Luke will the core "EmbyTV" show details on the emby dashboard?  similar to what i see when users are watching movies?   Maybe include what channel or whatever they are watching maybe (if possible) what tuner they are consuming (1, 2, or 3)?   One thing that annoys me now, i see the LED lit on HDHomerun showing someone is using a tuner, but the emby dashboard shows no users streaming..    

Edited by pir8radio

jimmer

I have been using server wmc with some success but would like to try this on my second emby server

this would be used to stream local un encrypted channels for my kids at college

Added the plugin but it doesn't see any channels w/o schedules direct

I don't really need the schedules - just the channel list for this to access

Any way to get the plugin to populate channels w/o schedules direct?

• Like 1

fraenhawk

I have been using server wmc with some success but would like to try this on my second emby server

I'd be curious about this as well. With the plugin being moved into core functionality, when that moved into the beta release I was going to start experimenting with this but being able to test TV streaming quality/functionality without having to enable the 7-day SD trial would be great.

• Like 1

hifiaudio2

So I got this up and running, and can see the guide and tune channels in the web client, but the Android TV client on my Nvidia Shield cannot tune a channel. I can see the guide and everything, but trying to tune a channel comes up with a spinning circle, the world "trans" on the screen for most channels (maybe the 720p ones but not the 1080i?) and then either it just sits there forever or eventually tells me it is "Unable to play video". Also the FFmpeg task on the server seems to keep going even if the Emby Android TV app has been terminated.

The channels do play on my Nexus 6 with the normal Android app, just not my Shield with the ATV app.

Edited by hifiaudio2

The mobile app is forcing a transcode due to the bitrate setting it has embedded.

The next beta of the ATV app will also force Live TV to transcode as (as you've found out) direct streaming doesn't actually work.

hifiaudio2

I messed around with the series recording function today.  Have to say again how light years ahead of the Silicondust DVR program that EmbyTV is.  So intuitive to be able to set recordings from the web guide, pick what days of the week to monitor or record the show from, pick new shows only, all channels, etc.   Not sure why SD is so far behind but kudos to the Emby developers. 

Does the recorded show get transcoded as well, or it is "natively"  recorded to a file for playback and its up to the playback software whether transcoding ends up being needed?

Is the transcoding issue a technical hurdle that is going to be difficult to overcome,  as in does SiliconDust make it intentionally or unintentionally  difficult for other software to hook right into the mpeg stream from the HDHR Connect box? 

Edited by hifiaudio2

we'll decide later about transcoding on the fly vs doing after the recording. it might end up just being afterwards, as most people will probably want their recording to remain salvaged in the event of some kind of transcoding failure.

hifiaudio2

I agree that leaving the recorded file intact as it came from the tuner is best. 

But is being able to natively stream from the tuner something that looks like a likely big problem?   What makes it hard to grab the Mpeg2 stream over DLNA?  

above1

The mobile app is forcing a transcode due to the bitrate setting it has embedded.

The next beta of the ATV app will also force Live TV to transcode as (as you've found out) direct streaming doesn't actually work.

So NVidia Shield TV's that support MPEG2 decoding will not be able to get a direct stream from a HDHR-Prime who is providing an MPEG2 stream?

So NVidia Shield TV's that support MPEG2 decoding will not be able to get a direct stream from a HDHR-Prime who is providing an MPEG2 stream?

There are a lot of variables in "an MPEG2 stream" and, as we've found out through testing, the variation being delivered by the HDHR is not compatible with either the native Android player or VLC on the box.  At least not in any way we have been able to figure out. 

Our assumption at this point is that the apps that are supporting this have internal decoders that understand the exact combination the HDHR is sending.  Our hope is that the newer version of VLC will also have this.

above1

There are a lot of variables in "an MPEG2 stream" and, as we've found out through testing, the variation being delivered by the HDHR is not compatible with either the native Android player or VLC on the box.  At least not in any way we have been able to figure out. 

Our assumption at this point is that the apps that are supporting this have internal decoders that understand the exact combination the HDHR is sending.  Our hope is that the newer version of VLC will also have this.

I C... thanks!

fraenhawk

I'd be curious about this as well. With the plugin being moved into core functionality, when that moved into the beta release I was going to start experimenting with this but being able to test TV streaming quality/functionality without having to enable the 7-day SD trial would be great.

I stand corrected. Someone at work had a spare Roku so I just wanted to see the interface compared to clunky, loud, heat-producing HTPCs I have and was blown away by the Emby channel. So then I decided to install the Emby TV plugin and I am able to tune channels just fine without schedules direct. Even fully do-not-copy cable card channels that Homerun View refuses to view (but WMC works with of course) are coming in fine. I'm extremely impressed with what I'm seeing. IT doesn't look like I can try out recordings since I can't find a way to manually record by time, only guide programs? But still, I was really curious about this becoming a replacement for WMC with the HD Homerun and I'm amazed at what I've seen just in the past few hours.

So far I cannot make EMby TV record something that was scheduled to record ahead of time.  No response to my thread. (http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24021-nothing-shows-under-scheduled-header-in-livetv/)

This whole thing is undergoing a complete re-vamp.  It will become a core feature and the plug-in will become obsolete.  The developer of the plug-in is not around anymore it seems anyway.

hifiaudio2

Oh --  lol I thought this was the latest / greatest and that he just started.  So should I remove LiveTV from the services section for now if it is no longer going to be supported?

Oh --  lol I thought this was the latest / greatest and that he just started.  So should I remove LiveTV from the services section for now if it is no longer going to be supported?

With just a few quirks, I think the current plug-in works okay for now so you can continue using it.  Just know that it will be coming back better than ever in a future server release.

mediacowboy

@@hifiaudio2, I posted in the other forum but I'll post here as well. You might try to add the day after the recording as well and see if that work's. I know both this plugin and the core have this issue right now.