[Dev] EmbyTV a livetv client for Network Tuners (HDHomerun at the moment)

jose

pir8radio

Can we add an option either under EmbyTv settings, or under each users account setting?  I would like to be able to limit the time they watch TV..  Not for a parental control reason, but I'm finding some of my users have a Roku and they will watch tv, then turn off their TV when done, leaving the ROKU on and streaming, for ever...    :-)

Can we add an option either under EmbyTv settings, or under each users account setting?  I would like to be able to limit the time they watch TV..  Not for a parental control reason, but I'm finding some of my users have a Roku and they will watch tv, then turn off their TV when done, leaving the ROKU on and streaming, for ever...    :-)

Yeah, that's a problem with this streaming paradigm but I think it needs to be handled by each app with some sort of small window that comes up and says "are you still here...? press a button on the remote".  Maybe once an hour or something.

pir8radio

Yeah, that's a problem with this streaming paradigm but I think it needs to be handled by each app with some sort of small window that comes up and says "are you still here...? press a button on the remote".  Maybe once an hour or something.

OooOO..  I like that idea...

nicholasgoss

Hi guys

I am new to Emby and really hoping some of you are kind enough to give me some advice as I am trying to setup Live TV in Emby but am struggling.

I have added the Emby Live TV plugin. I can see the settings for the plug in, and I can see the instructions here in this thread.

However the part I am strugging with is, where do I get the following vital details?:

- tuner 

- username

- password

- zip code

Where do I go to get this? Is there a site I have to sign up with or something?

I apologise for the nOOb question but hey, we all have to start somewhere right??

Edited by nicholasgoss

mediacowboy

@@nicholasgoss, I am going to break your question out into two pieces. 

1) Tuner - This is a SiliconDust DLNA tuner. You will have to purchase one from amazon, newegg, or the likes.

2) Username and Password - This is for a site called schedules direct, This company is what will provide you with your EPG data for you TV guide. 

• Like 1

mediacowboy

This is what Dish network does. After I think two hours you have to hit a button if you haven't in a while. If no response it puts the box to sleep.

• 2 weeks later...
Bushwalker

So, in short this option (i.e. EmbyTV) only works for HDHomerun manufactured for US, because only those products have DLNA enabled, which means that users in Australia cannot use this option. Am I correct? I'm still looking for the alternatives for WMC and it is very difficult to find one that works with Network tuners. I might ditch HDHomerun, because of so many compatibility issues and buy a cheap USB tuner instead.

• Like 1

i am willing to work with it but 1 i dont have one so i cant test it and two i dont have any documentation on how to obtain the device stream. If anyone could provide some documentatiom then development on it could start, the same for other network services and iptv providers if documentation is provided some support could be added

I have 2 Ceton Infinitv 4 cards in my HTPC and I can help test if you'd like. i don't have any support info for you though, sorry.

Vidman

So, in short this option (i.e. EmbyTV) only works for HDHomerun manufactured for US, because only those products have DLNA enabled, which means that users in Australia cannot use this option. Am I correct? I'm still looking for the alternatives for WMC and it is very difficult to find one that works with Network tuners. I might ditch HDHomerun, because of so many compatibility issues and buy a cheap USB tuner instead.

DLNA version is available in Australia now .... The transcoding version is not however

nicholasgoss

DLNA version is available in Australia now .... The transcoding version is not however

I take it that means the transcoding is not done at the Emby server end, but needs to be done by the tuner? 

I thought the whole point of using things like Emby and Plex (I hated Plex by the way) was to have the transcoding done by Emby / Plex, therefore not needing it to be done by HD Homerun??

Thanks heaps by the way mediacowboy , much appreciated. I am not new to media but I am new to the world of live TV.

Edited by nicholasgoss

Vidman

The transcoding version of the hdhomerun (the extend I believe it's called) is not available in oz hence emby server MUST do the transcoding, thus requiring a more powerful CPU for your server machine rather than the hardware encoding of the hdhomerun extend

Edited by Vidman