Android TV App

Luke

Deathsquirrel

Purchased a MINIX X8-H Plus to play with it ...Metro eh... Is there skinning options in the future?

In settings the choices are limited. will there be advanced option? Audio Hdmi Pass through? Hardware decoding? 

I also thought Emby android TV could Stream native to the UNC path? The only option I see to 1080p 40MBps

Minix X8-H Plus also is unable to go back when playing a movie and you have to enable the remotes mouse before you can go back.

I'm using a TV not a tablet. and the android phone remotes i played with are not suited to the navigation style of the interface."cough" Metro - you bring out a phone controller app to interface with the Tablet like interface?

My server version is Version 3.0.5641.4 on WMC. if you go in and out of the android app and switch through several programs "playing with it" the server stops transcoding "unable to play video" and has to be restarted.

Other then that it's quite seamless, smooth and pretty.

The UI conventions are established by Google.  If you don't like it that's who you'll need to talk to.

As for the supported codecs, they vary by device as each android tv's default supported codec list is different.  It sounds like there may be ways to get past that in the future but for now you may wish to try kodi on the device.  Luckily for me that isn't required since the device is in a bedroom where transcoding audio down to stereo is required.  If I had to install kodi I'd send the darn thing back.

Gernash

Installed/upgraded to WMC Beta seems to be much more stable Version 3.0.5666.1

I did have a play with Kodi and the HW decoding is quite astounding(Optimized for MINIX) and audio passthrough hit and miss (depending on stream in container).

I have used XBMC in the old days (Xbox original) not much has changed from what I can see (other then hw support, app library function, recent DVR Support) to an end user point of view.

I would use Kodi (MINIX have formed a partnership with them and have access to their git hub) over Emby BUT it feels quite primitive (Little OOOH AAAH factor) and is not Wife friendly.I have a copy of PLEX on the NAS that I look at from time to time but it's movie/TV scrapers dive me insane and I feel dirty web registering etc.

Has this Project approached any of the Hardware manufactures (Fire TV seems popular for you guys, US thing?)to support any of their devices naively (For optimized HW decoding)? MINIX HK seem quite active http://www.minixforum.com/

Note: USA does not sell or ship(through normal channels) Things like Fire TV,Nvida Shield etc to Australia Hence the query about FIRE TV as go to box.

I'm just trying to find a Media/Theater room solution that would be a natural evolution from WMC/Emby but with a low power footprint. and Lots of OOHs and AHHs

Keep up the excellent work.

:D

Vidman

Have you tried any of the kodi skins? The two actively developed here are both really good and customisable - titan and Arctic zephyr

Heuer

Has this Project approached any of the Hardware manufactures (Fire TV seems popular for you guys, US thing?)to support any of their devices naively (For optimized HW decoding)? MINIX HK seem quite active http://www.minixforum.com/

I suggested the very same a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately the best interface is with the Android Mobile app but the developers decided to disable the infra-red remote control so you can't use it. The TV app is fine for a 'dumb' device but suffers from a lack of functionality (no stop, no delete, no server management etc) plus the Android notification bar annoyingly stays on screen at all times. The developers will not reactivate the infra red remote function in the Mobile version so I am using the V2.1.38 apk on my M boxes. These boxes are quite powerful and you should be able to use them for full server management with only occasional recourse to Windows.

The Emby server is superb, the WMC and Android apps are excellent, the TV app is OK but with Panasonic refusing to use Android and going for Firefox OS the whole Smart TV playing field is becoming cluttered. Of course the jewel in the Emby crown - Theatre -  has languished and is still in alpha. Personally I have only ever watched one half hour TV program on a mobile device, and that was out of curiosity. 

If the Emby team want to engage with the likes of Minix and others they need to produce an offering that is a viable alternative to Kodi. The app needs to be the Android equivalent of the Windows browser interface with full server control and 'Theatre' presentation.

Deathsquirrel

I don't see much value in anything remotely that complex on the Android TV platform.  The current direction makes sense to me.  I'm hoping for player improvements supporting more direct streaming options than the default players support and I'd like some UI improvements for navigating larger libraries.  With those changes the basic design of the app would work really well for my use of this platform.

CBers

Once the app direct plays without transcoding I'll be ditching my Kodi installs :)

Deathsquirrel

Once the app direct plays without transcoding I'll be ditching my Kodi installs :)

That would be fantastic though to get into my family room as a primary HTPC replacement it needs to be a bit easier to scroll through a thousand titles or so.  Just giving the option to switch to a two-row display of posters would be a huge improvement.

MrWebsmith

That would be fantastic though to get into my family room as a primary HTPC replacement it needs to be a bit easier to scroll through a thousand titles or so.  Just giving the option to switch to a two-row display of posters would be a huge improvement.

yea.. i had the same thought/comment but the "by letter" really helps me enough.. and i have a fairly substantial library... plus searching im using more..

i did have  to "break my mbc habits" with it though at first.. and try to adapt to the "android tv" style of apps which this one really models itself after well imho

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

yea.. i had the same thought/comment but the "by letter" really helps me enough.. and i have a fairly substantial library... plus searching im using more..

i did have  to "break my mbc habits" with it though at first.. and try to adapt to the "android tv" style of apps which this one really models itself after well imho

The current tools work great for everything but 'I think I'll scroll through my movie list until something appeals to me' which is how we generally pick a movie for movie night.

The current tools work great for everything but 'I think I'll scroll through my movie list until something appeals to me' which is how we generally pick a movie for movie night.

But by letter, or even better - by genre actually gives you an even better way to do that.  You get a big screen of posters broken out by a category...

Deathsquirrel

But by letter, or even better - by genre actually gives you an even better way to do that.  You get a big screen of posters broken out by a category...

Interesting, I hadn't played with those much.  By genre definitely doesn't meet the need.  VASTLY too much repetition since most films default to having multple genres.  By Letter is workable, though I'd say it feels a bit clumsy to scroll right to the end of a letter, press down, repeat.  Still, workable beats the heck out of not.

• Like 1

Gernash

Android notification bar annoyingly stays on screen at all times. The developers will not reactivate the infra red remote function in the Mobile version so I am using the V2.1.38 apk on my M boxes. These boxes are quite powerful and you should be able to use them for full server management with only occasional recourse to Windows.

If the Emby team want to engage with the likes of Minix and others they need to produce an offering that is a viable alternative to Kodi. The app needs to be the Android equivalent of the Windows browser interface with full server control and 'Theatre' presentation.

No bars on My MINIX (their os disables that) I have a Neo A2 lite and have mouse/cursor control.

I got the Minix because I was enchanted with the ANDROID TV concept from a WMC environment. Just so little support outside of the generic 1 flavor suits all.(e.g. HW decoding at device) just try and play Netflix at 1080p or better on a non approved/sanctioned device and you get software decoding stutter. 

At this point I feel the Android TV app is and evolution of the Emby Phone App that's dumb down for tablet environment.

One thing I miss is the select player cast to option(from phone app). In the past you could browse on the phone then cast to wmc. would be good to have that back.

Also perhaps a phone touch/swipe interface to partner to emby android tv.(android remote not a solution, more of a touch interface to the screen would be better)

It's a great App and I'm currently using it on my MINIX it's just not what I was expecting. As an interface it a bit busy for OLDS and Luddites they get lost and would be screwed without a magic remote of pointer goodness. So not really a Main TV lounge room application in it present form with use with a dedicated stand alone Android device for playback.

For a tablet it's magic. with mirrorcast.

THIS IS JUST MY OPTION (after playing with for only 10+hrs.)

Edited by Gernash

Heuer

I am currently using the Amlogic boxes and ideally I would like Emby to be a headless solution hence wanting full control via the box. The Neo A2 lite is interesting but I have everything controlled through Harmony remotes so that option just adds complexity. I just bought a 50" Panasonic Smart TV and assumed it would be running Android and therefore Emby TV. But it has their own proprietary OS which they are now junking to replace it with Firefox OS and existing sets will not be upgraded. Will there be an Emby for Firefox incidentally?

Those Minix boxes are the best out there though.

All this IMHO, obviously  :)

It will be interesting to see how firefox OS continues to grow now that the lead guy behind the project has just left mozilla. apparently he was also the lead for the firefox browser for the past seven years.

• 2 weeks later...
hifiaudio2

What does  "Use native player for transcodes"  mean on the latest update from the Play store?

What does  "Use native player for transcodes"  mean on the latest update from the Play store?

You must be getting beta releases.

What version do you have?  Is everything working okay?

hifiaudio2

Sorry just came back to this thread..  yeah I forgot we set me up on beta a while back.  I have been using Emby for Kodi so much I forgot to test.  I will try it out today / tonight with a few videos.  Anything special for me to test?

(As a reminder.. I am on an Nvidia Shield)