Android TV App

Luke

jbuyense

The device I have is a generic Android Smart TV box. I believe it's an All winner A20. I love the app, but seeing the status but during a movie just bugs me. Thanks!

It should hide itself after a few seconds.

It does on my Nexus Player and Fire TV.

Which device are you using?

jbuyense

Here is a link to a picture screen. You can see the status bar on the bottom. Thanks!

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer#photo/100072853148423112881/5474083171402836529,authkey:Gv1sRgCN232vnV-K_rhQE/6158556296189678898

I'm not sure if it's my device or this app, bit is there a way to hide the status bar during movie playback? Other than that, the app is great!!!

Your picture doesn't work but I know what you are talking about.  The app is designed to run on newer TV-targeted devices that don't have those status bars and hasn't yet been optimized to deal with them.

thisguy2626

I'm having issues with the subtitles while playing on an LG Google TV.

I attempted to turn them off. It didn't work, and now every time I get to the same point in the video where I turned them off the video freezes and doesn't recover. The exact spot each time. The sound plays on.

It's only on the android tv app. The same video file plays fine on the windows theater and iOS app. And as long as I do not attempt to turn off the subtitles, other files play fine on the android TV app too.

I haven't tried deleting the app data yet.

I'm having issues with the subtitles while playing on an LG Google TV.

I attempted to turn them off. It didn't work, and now every time I get to the same point in the video where I turned them off the video freezes and doesn't recover. The exact spot each time. The sound plays on.

It's only on the android tv app. The same video file plays fine on the windows theater and iOS app. And as long as I do not attempt to turn off the subtitles, other files play fine on the android TV app too.

I haven't tried deleting the app data yet.

Please start your own issue so we can properly investigate.  Thx.

ice pube

I am really liking the Android TV app on my nexus player. One question though, it seems like all of the design of the app follows the google guidelines except for the OSD. I am not complaining at all, I am just curious why a seemingly-custom made OSD was used and not the OSD like youtube, etc. 

Thanks for working on the app!!

So if I am running a Minix X8-H do you advise running this TV app or the mobile app?

It is up to you.  If task bars aren't an issue, I'd suggest this app.

Macburp

So if I am running a Minix X8-H do you advise running this TV app or the mobile app?

Give it a try. I've run the app on a lenovo tablet and a galaxy note 3, its works really well on the lenovo but nothing will play on the note. I would agree with EBR that if you can get the app running on your minix, its a better choice than the mobile app.

Heuer

The Mobile app was remote friendly but it got broken in the latest version (2.3.13). Worked great on V2.3.06 though. Find the V2.1.38 apk on the web and give both Mobile and TV apps a test drive. I prefer the Mobile app as it has more functionality (delete etc) and it makes it easier for family members to swap between watching on their phone and the Mbox/big screen as everything is in the same place. Counter intuitive to expect two totally different apps to do the same thing  in the same household!

xXSagaiaXx

Okay, I have the nvidia shield and so far loving it with the emby app. Couple of questions. I know this was brought up but is there anyway to get some sort of poster view, with over 2000 movies a poster view would be keen. Also, a photo screen saver would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks,

s.

deuce9498

It is a little more work but try kodi with the emby client overlay. I have that running with the shield consol and it's superb. Options for various fan art driven views of your library with a proper client server architecture.

ice pube

It is a little more work but try kodi with the emby client overlay. I have that running with the shield consol and it's superb. Options for various fan art driven views of your library with a proper client server architecture.

I would like to second this. Running kodi on my nexus player is fantastic. Plus you can use any skin you want! 

hifiaudio2

Third that.  I was not a Kodi user until now but I have seen the light and using Kodi along with Emby on the Shield is a great experience!  So many customization options.  A little bit of setup at first but hey,  its a hobby!

Jibest

Hi, I'm a newcomer to emby and have setup the server, the android app on my nexus 5 and the TV app on my fire stick. For some reason I cannot cast from the Emby app on the phone to the fire TV? Is this meant to work? When I open Emby on the server (web client) the phone app can see it no problem. Also are playlists coming to the TV app anytime soon?

jbuyense

I am running Emby for Android TV on a Allwinner A10-20 Smart TV Box.  I love the way the app works, except I cant make the status /action bar go away on the bottom. This app does not have a full screen option like the "regular" Android app has. Any chance for a future change that will add this. I would use the "regular" Android app, but it doesn't clearly show what items are being seleted. Thanks in advance!

Pelon

I actually use both clients (Emby and kodi) in a Shield  , and each has its merits. I like the Andriod client because it is very light and I love the voice search. I like Kodi for the customization and all of the add-ons like Ambilight.

The Kodi client has some limitations in that for any mayor changes, you have to do a full sync. I actually started to use the Kodi client in my windows 7 server and I liked it, enough to push to get the Shield, knowing that I could run Kodi on it, and it would work for the most part the same as the Windows computer, so one interface to rule them all.

Is there a plan to allow the Emby android TV use audio passthrough as the Shield allows for a lot of audio?

I know that Kodi 15 can handle that, I tried that before and the Emby addon would work on it.

Basically I'm looking at what would be the best way to enable audio passthrough, since the hardware now has the capability.

hifiaudio2

Neither Emby nor Kodi on the Shield can currently output lossless audio.  If you are talking about lossy Dolby Digital, etc,  then there is support for that in Kodi,  don't know about Emby.  

Hi, I'm a newcomer to emby and have setup the server, the android app on my nexus 5 and the TV app on my fire stick. For some reason I cannot cast from the Emby app on the phone to the fire TV? Is this meant to work? When I open Emby on the server (web client) the phone app can see it no problem. Also are playlists coming to the TV app anytime soon?

This app as a cast target simply hasn't been implemented yet.  It is coming.

Iplayguitarintheshower

loving the app as i have a LG55LN TV, but the audio output seems delayed. my pioneer receiver has digital audio coming into it and syncs audio perfectly for tv and pc but has a half second delay for the emby android for tv app. 

any idea what causes this? 

loving the app as i have a LG55LN TV, but the audio output seems delayed. my pioneer receiver has digital audio coming into it and syncs audio perfectly for tv and pc but has a half second delay for the emby android for tv app. 

any idea what causes this? 

Almost has to be something external.  What about other apps?

Gernash

Purchased a MINIX X8-H Plus to play with it ...Metro eh... Is there skinning options in the future?

In settings the choices are limited. will there be advanced option? Audio Hdmi Pass through? Hardware decoding? 

I also thought Emby android TV could Stream native to the UNC path? The only option I see to 1080p 40MBps

Minix X8-H Plus also is unable to go back when playing a movie and you have to enable the remotes mouse before you can go back.

I'm using a TV not a tablet. and the android phone remotes i played with are not suited to the navigation style of the interface."cough" Metro - you bring out a phone controller app to interface with the Tablet like interface?

My server version is Version 3.0.5641.4 on WMC. if you go in and out of the android app and switch through several programs "playing with it" the server stops transcoding "unable to play video" and has to be restarted.

Other then that it's quite seamless, smooth and pretty.