Android TV App

Luke

Deathsquirrel

This is an Nvidia Shield, not fire TV.

Sorry, missed that.  It definitely doesn't support the audio.  Dunno on the video side.

hifiaudio2

Right -  yeah I knew on the audio... but initially I *thought* it would support the video, since it natively supports h.264.  But its looking like it doesn't support .mkv and that is the new issue....

Hopefully Nvidia will get on it and take this all seriously and give us the box it CAN be!

hifiaudio2

While messing around with the new Android TV app I realized that it now wont play my Desolation of Smaug MKV.  Keeps saying the "server is not available".  Plays fine in the web browser app and I *believe*  that file played before installing the beta. ....  not sure what is going on.  I will mess around with it more later today. 

can you test with a low bitrate mkv that should direct stream and report if it fails

hifiaudio2

How low?  Everything I have are 1:1 BD rips with only lossless audio.   Do you know of a movie or even a commonly used free or available file that has a pretty low rate?

Edited by hifiaudio2

Damstas

It seems it's not possible to set recordings on the sections: "On Now" and "Coming Up". Is this a bug? Right now if I wanna select something to record I need to find it from the guide.

Also Upcoming Movies section would be good :)

It seems it's not possible to set recordings on the sections: "On Now" and "Coming Up". Is this a bug? Right now if I wanna select something to record I need to find it from the guide.

Also Upcoming Movies section would be good :)

Not a bug, just something that hasn't been addressed yet in the re-design of the details page.

Where would "upcoming movies" come from?

Damstas

Not a bug, just something that hasn't been addressed yet in the re-design of the details page.

Where would "upcoming movies" come from?

Aah ok.

The Upcoming Movies section is in the Live TV section on Emby server, same with "What's On", "Upcoming Programs", and "Upcoming Sports".

Aah ok.

The Upcoming Movies section is in the Live TV section on Emby server, same with "What's On", "Upcoming Programs", and "Upcoming Sports".

Oh, okay, you are talking specific to Live TV.  I thought you meant upcoming in theaters or on DVD/BD.

• Like 1

hifiaudio2

Am I wrong in my understanding of how Emby works here:

Discussion from another forum:

Me (in a discussion on Shield causing my media to be transcoded):

Yeah in my case, I was using the Emby ATV player , and it was transcoding both the video and audio inside the .mkv container. The video was h.264 and should not have been transcoded. The audio was DTS MA and should be transcoded.

Him:

If you were accessing it via DLNA, then whether the media is being transcoded or not is determined by the server.

Me:

Its accessed from SMB shares.

Him:

If was from an SMB share then it wouldn't be transcoded.

For it to be transcoded you would need server software on your network share handling the media and it would be DLNA/UPnP. SMB is direct access and would not be transcoded.

Edited by hifiaudio2

It depends on the app you are using.  The ATV app cannot access SMB shares directly.  The shield does not support the mkv container so we will have to do a container swap on the video.  Are you sure that wasn't all that was happening?

hifiaudio2

Well this was all from the log I posted earlier in this thread.  I dont know how to tell for sure from the log if its transcoding the h.264 video or doing a container swap as you mention... I also don't really know the difference in the two.

hifiaudio2

Ebr can you or Luke help me investigate further whether the Shield supports .mkv containers natively or not?  From what I posted earlier in their thread it seems to NOT,  but around the web that is being argued.  Some in the Kodi forums suggest it does. 

CBers

The mkv container is just that, a container.

It's the audio and video codecs within it that determine if the file is supported or not.

hifiaudio2

Ok .. hmm,  i figured that at first as well, but given that from the log I posted earlier in this thread, it looked like  h.264 video was being transcoded, and in the .json file I posted, it said the following:

DirectPlayProfiles":[{"Container":"mp4,m4v","AudioCodec":"aac","VideoCodec":"h264,mpeg4","Type":"Video"},{"Container":"3gp","Type":"Video"},{"Container":"webm","Type":"Video"},{"Container":"mp4,m4v","AudioCodec":"aac","VideoCodec":"h265","Type":"Video"},{"Container":"mp3","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"aac","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"mjpeg","Type":"Video"},{"Container":"3gp","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"amr-wb","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"g711-alaw","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"g711-mlaw","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"webm,webma","Type":"Audio"},{"Container":"oga,ogg","Type":"Audio"},

So it did not list .mkv as a compatible container along with all those other containers above.  That made me think that it does not support .mkv.  

Edited by hifiaudio2

No, I don't think it does understand that container but, if nothing else about the video needs transcoding, all it will do is a container swap which takes very few resources.  It simply re-packages it into something the device can understand.

hifiaudio2

No, I don't think it does understand that container but, if nothing else about the video needs transcoding, all it will do is a container swap which takes very few resources.  It simply re-packages it into something the device can understand.

Ok .. as I push to get Nvidia to add things we need I just wanted to make sure that what I am asking them for it accurate.  I will continue to push for native .mkv container support despite various people claiming / assuming it already has it just because Kodi works. 

jbuyense

I'm not sure if it's my device or this app, bit is there a way to hide the status bar during movie playback? Other than that, the app is great!!!

hifiaudio2

Ok to get off my Shield MKV investigation for a moment,  is there a way in the app to change the sorting once you have chosen "movies" or "TV" or the like?  Right now, once I click movies,  its either something like coming soon or my only real choice down below is to choose by name.  Can the same sort choices from the web interface be used here?  I really like to use release date.  Thanks!!

CBers

I'm not sure if it's my device or this app, bit is there a way to hide the status bar during movie playback? Other than that, the app is great!!!

It should hide itself after a few seconds.

It does on my Nexus Player and Fire TV.

Which device are you using?

• Like 1

You must be talking about the device's status bar.  What device is it?

• Like 1

Ok to get off my Shield MKV investigation for a moment,  is there a way in the app to change the sorting once you have chosen "movies" or "TV" or the like?  Right now, once I click movies,  its either something like coming soon or my only real choice down below is to choose by name.  Can the same sort choices from the web interface be used here?  I really like to use release date.  Thanks!!

There is no "sorting" per-se in the app because the paradigm used on these devices usually doesn't include that.  Instead, it presents you with pre-set rows in a particular order.  As the app evolves, more rows will probably be added based on demand.