Emby TV CLUB

CBers

AdrianW

Anyone watched "The Last Man on Earth"? I really enjoyed the first double episode that aired on Sunday. I'd consider this an alternative comedy - definitely not your usual sitcom.

Anyone watched "The Last Man on Earth"? I really enjoyed the first double episode that aired on Sunday. I'd consider this an alternative comedy - definitely not your usual sitcom.

I was very curious about that one. Glad to hear you liked it.

CBers

Anyone watched "The Last Man on Earth"? I really enjoyed the first double episode that aired on Sunday. I'd consider this an alternative comedy - definitely not your usual sitcom.

Not yet - was going to watch it today.

Thanks for the heads-up :)

Heckler

Is it anything like Red Dwarf,... which was one of the greatest shows ever made... until the original writers parted and from S7 onwards it went downhill very, very quickly.

AdrianW

Is it anything like Red Dwarf,... which was one of the greatest shows ever made... until the original writers parted and from S7 onwards it went downhill very, very quickly.

I haven't seen many Red Dwarf episodes - but, no, it isn't anything like Red Dwarf.

It's also nothing like the movie Chronicle - but the character behaves more like how an actual last man would behave  - in a similar way to the kids in Chronicle behave just like you'd expect real kids who developed super powers would behave - i.e. like total jerks and not like heroes at all.

CBers

WRT "The Last Man on Earth", I've just watched the opening double episode and thought it was OK in places.

Not sure what to think about the how and why, but I did think that it's possible that it's all in his head, possibly in a coma in hospital, as there couldn't possibly be no-one else alive in the whole of the USA.

Will watch a few more to see how it progresses.

Heckler

Finally... Star Wars Rebels is starting to look a little better.

The return of Ahsoka Tanno and Vader baby... YEAH!

OK... how do you hide the spoilers?

Edited by Heckler

shaefurr

[spoiler] text [/spoiler]

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 2

Heckler

Well, that didn't work at first... then I removed the formatting from the post and it did.

Edited by Heckler

Heckler

Just watched the first episode of 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt'  starring the one from the office who played the dumb receptionist (not the one who played Pam, the one who took over after).

Not a spoiler... but the premise of the show... Some women are rescued after being kept underground by a cult leader... One ends up in New York afterwards and decides to stay.

Was a little on the silly side... at times they try to play on the girl who's never seen certain things and is all surprised and amazed by them... but it's weak because these are all things that would have been around when she was taken in by the cult... It implies she was an adult and there is a reference to doing weird sex stuff in the underground bunker.

1st episode... I'll probably watch a few more.

Also, I watched The Last Man on Earth the other day... again a little slow to start... but shows potential, although I really can't stand the woman at all. Seen her in other stuff and didn't like her for some reason... she could be the reason I lose interest. But I feel the same way about Lucy Lui and I gave Elementary a shot and actually ended up liking it in spite of her.

jluce50

Damn! I wait all year for only a handful of episodes to begin with...

I can't imagine they'll take any permanent action against him, though. He's a HUGE moneymaker for them.

swhitmore

Yeah, Top Gear is worth over half a billion. I don't think they will axe him. just sending a message.

Heckler

The BBC aren't in a great position... they can sack him... but Clarkson owns the rights to Top Gear.  When the BBC cancelled the show back in the 90's... Jezza bought up the rights for it, and revamped it turning it into the show we know today.

Yes he's a loudmouth, yes he likes to spout it off and yes he certainly courts controversy... But he does it deliberately to provoke discussion.  When he made a joke on the One Show a few years ago, and added a silly joke on the end about it's the BBC we must be impartial and offer an alternative opinion.... Clearly setting up the joke. the media and haters immediately jumped on the joke and called for his head.

Even in last Sunday's show he was calling out govt ministers who slagged f the show having never watched it and so forth... He's a loudmouth, he can be an idiot. But I don't for one second think he's a racist, he just plays up to the cultural stereotypes for laughs... sometimes it's funny, some times it's not. But that's what happens with comedy, there isn't a single joke in the entire history of jokes that doesn't offend someone somewhere.

I'd love to know who he allegedly punched and why though... But the BBC have shot themselves in the foot on this one... they made an ultimatum that he'd be sacked, and now they have to carry that through or risk looking like fools.

Clarkson and co could just as easily start making Top Gear for another channel once any legal/contractual issues are sorted out... But as I said, Clarkson owns the rights to Top Gear, it's why the rest of the old Top Gear crew went to Channel 5 and started 5th gear.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Clarkson sold the rights to the BBC 2 years ago :P

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

Heckler

Clarkson sold the rights to the BBC 2 years ago :P

I hadn't heard that... I was under the impression he still owned them... In which case, he might well be fooked.   :)

jluce50

The BBC aren't in a great position... they can sack him... but Clarkson owns the rights to Top Gear.  When the BBC cancelled the show back in the 90's... Jezza bought up the rights for it, and revamped it turning it into the show we know today.

Don't quote me on this, but my understanding was that Clarkson sold his 50% share to the BBC in 2012. Guess I should read the rest of the replies before responding  :)

How awesome would it be to see Netflix buy the rights and take over? I think that's a pipe-dream, though. I just can't see the BBC giving up such a money maker. I think you're right about the BBC shooting themselves in the foot. They have to do something, but I think it will amount to making a statement so they don't look too foolish and then bringing him back. Whether that's after a short delay or next season, I don't know. I'd expect some sort of forced apology from Clarkson as well.

Edited by jluce50

CBers

Reports on the news in the UK today say that it's unlikely that any of the 3 remaining episodes will be aired.

jluce50

Literally zero chance the bbc will sell this

No, if Clarkson is out for good (which I seriously doubt), they'd more likely replace him or continue on without him. The show would not be the same without him, though, and they have to be well aware of that.

Macburp

As I understand it, Clarkson and Andy Milman own 50% of the rights to Top Gear, with BBC Worldwide holding the other 50% - not sure it this applies to UK rights, international rights or both. So Jezzer is not just an employee....

Heckler

From what I read today, Clarkson (not sure of Milman) still retain some of the rights to the international and commercial side of Top Gear, including merchandise. I don't think they control it all, but they get a nice chunk of any profits.  So even if they sacked him and replaced him with some one else... and it was still a successful show, he'd still probably rake in millions each year.  :)

All this was part of the deal when the sold back their stake in the rights to the name/show if my understanding is correct... It's reported that Clarksons share of this deal was 14 million squiddlies... not including profits on what he still has rights too.

If Clarkson went... I imagine May and Hammond would follow suit. Sky have been itching to get their hands on Clarkson and I imagine a lucrative contract to host a similar style show for them would immediately be in the offering... Not that i think it would be a good thing because I can't stand the way Sky operate... In fact I ditched my sky TV over the prices about a year ago, but am still tied to them with phone and broadband until later this year (they really tried to get me to stay and even when it became clear they could give me the deal I wanted to keep the TV side... offered me 40Mb fibre.broadband for £10 a month... I was paying £7.50 for 20Mb over copper already).

Who would they replace them with though... Chances are they'd go for 2 blokes and woman, tone it down to the point of making it bland and it would just end up as boring as most of the international versions.

I can't think of a single name who has the right kind of experience and attitude to carry a show like this.