Emby TV CLUB

CBers

CBers

Dancing with the Idiot and has-been Stars

Ah right. It's called Strictly Come Dancing in the UK :)

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

dark_slayer

I like but have finished or am up to date on some shows I find similar and looking for a new one

Burn Notice

Covert Affairs

Homeland

Nikita

Person of Interest

Some were better than others, but I enjoy the spy/rogue-spy intelligence and planning wins the day shows

Anyone have more recommendations?

ScottIsAFool

I don't understand the ratings because every post I see related to Forever is that the people watching it absolutely love the show and don't want to see it cancelled. Maybe if ABC bumped it to another night (maybe Monday to replace Castle when it goes??? Or better yet, replace DWTS. :):P) the ratings would skyrocket. Tuesday nights on ABC is like a desert for them.

The bear would call this #FanExcuseBingo :)

Forever is good, but he needs to die more :)

AdrianW

Some were better than others, but I enjoy the spy/rogue-spy intelligence and planning wins the day shows

Maybe:

The Americans 

The Bletchley Circle

• Like 1

jhevener

I like but have finished or am up to date on some shows I find similar and looking for a new one

Burn Notice

Covert Affairs

Homeland

Nikita

Person of Interest

Have you checked out Blacklist? Excellent acting, and lots of intrigue, suspense and action. The show has run it's course for me but it looks like it might fit the bill for you. James Spader is great in the show.

• Like 1

politby

This is a not so well known Canadian show that I recently got seriously hooked on:

74948-g2.jpg

Edited by politby

politby

Have you checked out Blacklist? Excellent acting, and lots of intrigue, suspense and action. The show has run it's course for me but it looks like it might fit the bill for you. James Spader is great in the show.

Like it a lot. I am currently binging it on Netflix 4k[emoji3]

jhevener

The Strain (2014– )

I really don't know how I even watched the pilot of the show because the cover was so over the top for me I thought it had to be crap. I must say I've watched the whole first season and enjoyed it. Keep in mind, this is not top-notch acting or production but I think the show has enough merit to be mentioned as a pretty good drama - It's more thriller than horror BTW.

My Rating: 7.3
IMDB Rating: 7.7

From IMDB:

A Boeing 767 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Ephraim "Eph" Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.[/size]

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing.[/size]

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city - a city that includes his wife and son - before it is too late.

Edited by jhevener

TolkienBard

The bear would call this #FanExcuseBingo :)

Forever is good, but he needs to die more :)

I love Forever. It's either my second or third favourite show. However, it was very poorly promoted, and then relegated to a time slot that regularly gets abused. Despite having the best ratings in that slot for ABC in a long time, it is still sucking for oxygen. It's hard to imagine it gets renewed. If Castle does not come back for a season 8, then that might be a big enough hit for ABC, that they are less apt to throw out other shows with at least some following. I actually think that Forever would do much, much better in the ratings if it were in Castle's time slot.

It's definitely a show that took a bit to find its footing in terms of pacing. Now it seems to be clicking a bit more. I'm pretty sure there's only going to be one more Henry death this season though, and probably in the season finale. Hopefully, that pushes Jo finding out to the forefront.

TolkienBard

Burn Notice

Covert Affairs

Homeland

Nikita

Person of Interest

I enjoy this genre as well. It's been my experience that it does poorly on television. Every season needs a new, bigger, more terrible threat than the previous one. Also, given American television schedules, it becomes easy to get lost if too many weeks are skipped to stretch a 22-episode season across 30+ weeks. Even the cable networks have trouble because the are trying to fill late-April through earl October with only 16 episodes. The other problem, and possibly the3 bigger one, is that after a few dozen episodes, it becomes difficult not to recycle any developments. 

IMHO these shows always work better with a clear endgame in mind. Then, they simply work towards it in a very deliberate manner, stopping once they get there. Going beyond the end is where these shows really hit trouble. It happened with Alias, Burn Notice, Covert Affairs, and others. It is happening already with The Blacklist, which probably should have just been originally planned out as a tightly written 2-3 season show and nothing more.

If you don't mind old school shows though:

Wild Wild West

Mission: Impossible

The Saint

And, possibly the best-written of all of them by a long shot:

Secret Agent aka Danger Man

• Like 1

politby

My favorite old school spy show:

78245-g.jpg

The 1979 British original with Alec Guinness starring as George Smiley.

Edited by politby
  • Like 3

fantaxp7

The Strain (2014– )

I really don't know how I even watched the pilot of the show because the cover was so over the top for me I thought it had to be crap. I must say I've watched the whole first season and enjoyed it. Keep in mind, this is not top-notch acting or production but I think the show has enough merit to be mentioned as a pretty good drama - It's more thriller than horror BTW.

My Rating: 7.3

IMDB Rating: 7.7

Yea I enjoyed it as I would enjoy a show on the CW. Good B quality tv.

For example supernatural is in the same boat for me, though supernatural is probably better...

Heckler

78245-g.jpg

The movie with Gary Oldman is pretty damn good too.

Macburp

78245-g.jpg

Any fan of this show should take a look at The Sandbaggers (1977-80), a show that people call 'the best spy drama you've never heard of'. A story of life in MI6 during the Cold War, with an interesting emphasis on office politics. It's my favourite spy show (and I love Tinker Tailor....)

77420-g.jpg

Edited by Macburp
  • Like 1

Macburp

78245-g.jpg

This should be viewed with Smiley's People (1982), which finishes the Karla story.

TolkienBard

78245-g.jpg

I had forgotten all about this one. I very much agree, this is a strong entry.

dark_slayer

I enjoy this genre as well. It's been my experience that it does poorly on television. Every season needs a new, bigger, more terrible threat than the previous one. Also, given American television schedules, it becomes easy to get lost if too many weeks are skipped to stretch a 22-episode season across 30+ weeks. Even the cable networks have trouble because the are trying to fill late-April through earl October with only 16 episodes. The other problem, and possibly the bigger one, is that after a few dozen episodes, it becomes difficult not to recycle any developments. 

IMHO these shows always work better with a clear endgame in mind. Then, they simply work towards it in a very deliberate manner, stopping once they get there. Going beyond the end is where these shows really hit trouble. It happened with Alias, Burn Notice, Covert Affairs, and others. It is happening already with The Blacklist, which probably should have just been originally planned out as a tightly written 2-3 season show and nothing more.

If you don't mind old school shows though:

Wild Wild West

Mission: Impossible

The Saint

And, possibly the best-written of all of them by a long shot:

Secret Agent aka Danger Man

Yeah, branching over into movies, I have those on my server and many more. Thanks, looks like I missed blacklist altogether

I agree with your synopsis. Six seasons of burn notice burned it, at the end it was kind of fun to watch but no longer serious. 3 seasons maybe four could have been tight. I don't think they really had a clear plan for that many seasons and didn't think it would make it that far. The beginning season and the "instructional video" type of screenplay got me super hooked onto it though

I'll check it out, thanks

Any fan of this show should take a look at The Sandbaggers (1977-80), a show that people call 'the best spy drama you've never heard of'. A story of life in MI6 during the Cold War, with an interesting emphasis on office politics. It's my favourite spy show (and I love Tinker Tailor....)

Thanks I'll look for that as well

Heckler

OK... anyone watched the new Marvels Daredevil series that started Friday on Netflix?

No spoilers about the storyline... Just a general view on what I thought of it... So read ahead at your risk.

I was less than impressed after the first episode. The two main characters don't seem like a good fit in the roles... the story was a little basic and simple. The antagonist remains behind the scenes and we only see his lackey dealing with other criminal gangs/people.

This series has it's work cut out if it is to eradicate the memory of the awful movie from about 12 yrs ago... A film that should never have been made and the only good thing to come out of it was that the band Evanescence became more widely known due to the song that featured in it... A song I still love to this day.

Will see how the next few episodes go... But this one is not off to the same great start that Agents of Shield and Agent Carter had.

swhitmore

I think they gave the character in Forever way too much 'Sherlock Holmes' influence. I think the should could have been a lot better if if was simply his own creation.

TolkienBard

OK... anyone watched the new Marvels Daredevil series that started Friday on Netflix?

No spoilers about the storyline... Just a general view on what I thought of it... So read ahead at your risk.

I was less than impressed after the first episode. The two main characters don't seem like a good fit in the roles... the story was a little basic and simple. The antagonist remains behind the scenes and we only see his lackey dealing with other criminal gangs/people.

This series has it's work cut out if it is to eradicate the memory of the awful movie from about 12 yrs ago... A film that should never have been made and the only good thing to come out of it was that the band Evanescence became more widely known due to the song that featured in it... A song I still love to this day.

Will see how the next few episodes go... But this one is not off to the same great start that Agents of Shield and Agent Carter had.

It gets better. The writers definitely took full advantage of the 13-hour story concept. Fisk is finally shown at the end of episode three. Each episode ramps things up just a bit more. While the lead seemed odd casting to me at first, as the show went on, he grew on me.

dark_slayer

HBO, you complete me. In less than 24 hours.... :lol:

Yeah, but now it's a month before I see anything new :(

Macburp

Well, the first episode of Silicon Valley's second season was rather excellent. The highlight for me was the negotiation scenes with the VCs. I also like the lady who has replaced the chap who died, the character is suitably weird for this show. 

• Like 1