Emby TV CLUB

CBers

CBers

Anyone watching SCORPION?

It's about a group of super-nerds who help Homeland Security to deal with cyber events.

It's easy to watch and supposedly based on a real character.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

Latchmor

It's about a group of super-nerds who help Homeland Security to deal with cyber events.

Yip, it's ok. I'm often doing something else when it's on in the background, I haven't really sat down to give it my full attention!

CBers

Yip, it's ok. I'm often doing something else when it's on in the background, I haven't really sat down to give it my full attention!

It's like a cross between LEVERAGE and TOUCH.

swhitmore

Sorry, but Scorpion is a terrible show. Very poorly written , horrid acting, and the 'solutions' they come up with are just as absurd as the 'problems'. 

Edited by swhitmore

Macburp

Just seen the first part of GALLIPOLI, a 7 part drama currently showing in Australia. I'm not sure about it. Yes, the Gallipoli campaign was a terrible cock-up and many antipodeans lost their lives needlessly, but you need to show more than a young lad having a terrible time at war to know this. War is terrible, but that's been done before and a lot better. We need to know why there was a campaign, why the aussies were fighting there (answer - the British army had been destroyed by the 1914 campaign), why a dardanelles campaign was doomed to failure etc etc.

I hope it improves. Another six episodes of young lad lying in the dirt under fire will be a bit wearing.

For a better example of WW1 drama try 37 DAYS, a 3-parter that deals with the 'July Crisis' that led to the beginning of WW1.

swhitmore

Seen scorpion and I have to say that swhitmore is right. For being about tech geniuses, it feels like they have no technical advisors. The entire show is VERY unrealistic. I mostly watch it to turn my brain off.

Sent from my Nexus 7. Pardon my spelling. :)

Yeah, it's as if they have dumbed it down so much for non-tech minded people to follow it, that it has resulted in them all talking utter rubbish and completely alienating the audience that would enjoy watching that type of show. Numb3rs was a good series which was able to pull off the 'genius solving crimes' routine, although that show also had some poor oversimplified moments.

Edited by swhitmore

TolkienBard

Yeah, it's as if they have dumbed it down so much for non-tech minded people to follow it, that it has resulted in them all talking utter rubbish and completely alienating the audience that would enjoy watching that type of show. Numb3rs was a good series which was able to pull off the 'genius solving crimes' routine, although that show also had some poor oversimplified moments.

I really enjoyed Numb3rs.. I actually wish it had lasted just a bit longer. As for the oversimplified parts of the show, I didn't mind them too much because the writers knew how to employ them. They used them to "give explanations" for something or for a set of circumstances, so that the audience would not get caught up on the question of "how". However, when they went this route, it was because the answer rarely made a lick of difference to the actual narrative of the story. The "how" was actually unimportant - but the writers still realized that viewers were going to get hung up on the question, despite that lack of importance. Paying lip-service to the question with a quick ( though lame) excuse was enough to get the viewers to past the question and to keep them focused on the narrative.

Too many shows seem to go too far one way or the other. Either they explain far too much far too often, detracting from the actual story, or opening the door to far more technical questions, or they go the other route and just expect viewers to never actually think things through.

• Like 1

ginjaninja

Thanks for suggestion..True detective +1..great music too.

And i loathed to admit it but in the end we love 'death in paradise'..very trashy unchallenging and fun :-)

• Like 2

jasonmcroy

The wife loves this show. It has grown on my. I didn't like it for the first 2 or 3 episodes but now it's gotten better.

Heckler

Backstrom is starting to get really, really good... A shaky first few episodes that I wasn't sure about. But this weeks episode was excellent.

On the flipside... The Blacklist has been a bit lame these last few episodes.

But new series of Vikings started this week... and the season opener was great.

Some one told me if I liked the Office (US) then I 'MUST'  (their emphasis) watch Parks and Recreation.... So I watched the first 5 or 6 episodes and it bored me rigid... It's trying to emulate the office so badly... it's not funny, the best characters have virtually no screen time and the lead played by Amy Peohler or however you spell it... terrible, just awful. I shan't be watching any more... 5 episodes was far too many.  Now my opinion of my friend has been tainted. I shall look upon future recommendations with a quiet distrust.  :)

CBers

I can't stand Ricky Gervais, he's just not funny, so never watched The Office.

I watched the first episode of P&R and thought how bad it was, not funny in the slightest.

• Like 1

Macburp

Some one told me if I liked the Office (US) then I 'MUST'  (their emphasis) watch Parks and Recreation.... So I watched the first 5 or 6 episodes and it bored me rigid... It's trying to emulate the office so badly... it's not funny, the best characters have virtually no screen time and the lead played by Amy Peohler or however you spell it... terrible, just awful. I shan't be watching any more... 5 episodes was far too many.  Now my opinion of my friend has been tainted. I shall look upon future recommendations with a quiet distrust.  :)

The first episodes were not very good I agree. The show does not get into its stride until part way into the second series, so stick with it. Ron Swanson is one of the funniest characters ever in my view,

• Like 1

Heckler

It was tainted by Gervais :)

When I saw that he was going to be on... I skipped that episode. Such is my hatred of him and my desire to see the US version untainted.  :)

• Like 1

Heckler

I didn't think it was possible... but Archer just continues to make me laugh out loud.

I do miss 'phrasing though'

• Like 1

Macburp

I've just discovered MAN SEEKING WOMAN, a fairly typical boy looking for a girl comedy but with a surreal sense of humour. I laughed out loud at the Japanese alternate dimension creature called 'Tanaka' (who only says one word - 'tanaka'). Well recommended if you like silly and surreal humour.

TolkienBard

I didn't think it was possible... but Archer just continues to make me laugh out loud.

I do miss 'phrasing though'

I was actually bracing myself to be disappointed by this last season of Archer. I was very pleasantly surprised when it rose to the challenge of remaining quite good.

joshstix

I laughed more at the latest episode of Archer than I have the rest if this year so far.  It ends with the best apology ever.

• Like 2

thefirstofthe300

I figured since we have the film club pinned, I might as well give you guys the same courtesy. :)

• Like 4

Heckler

I was actually bracing myself to be disappointed by this last season of Archer. I was very pleasantly surprised when it rose to the challenge of remaining quite good.

It's going to be the last season?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Vidman

I think he means latest ....season 7 was confirmed along with season 6 which is why there has been improved animation this season

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

TolkienBard

I think he means latest ....season 7 was confirmed along with season 6 which is why there has been improved animation this season

This is correct. Didn't mean to be confusing.

• Like 1