Emby TV CLUB

CBers

TolkienBard

If you do not watch True Detective you are seriously missing out.

It is freaking awesome.  

I am glad it wrapped up in one season!  It is like a 12 hour movie.

The story did, much like what Ryan Murphy is doing with American Horror Story. True Detective is apparently coming back, just picking up a different story and characters.

TolkienBard

Has Penny Dreadful gotten better? I really wanted to like it, but the first 3-4 episodes just fell kinda short of what I was hoping for...

Yes and no. The first season should have been about 2-3 episodes shorter. They also should have probably reconsidered the order in which they aired them just a bit, or at least the order and location in which the flashbacks were included. Waiting until the season was nearly over to do almost an entire episode on Vanessa and Malcolm's back story did not help at all. In fact, it somewhat hurt the show when it suddenly opened up more questions with only a few episodes left.

The show DOES get better beyond the first 3 or so. It does not reach its full potential in season one though. However, by the end of season one, it is starting to click a bit better, and it also seems that the writers have somewhat started to find a slightly better pacing. I have higher hopes for season two. If season two starts out as much of a mess as season one did though, I'll probably give up.

One thing that needs to happen, the writers need to cut back on the number of loose ends dangling out there. 10 episodes is not enough time to get back to them all.

TolkienBard

Is anyone else here watching Banshee? I was just introduced to that show in the last week or so. It took me a little while to get into it, since I was expecting something entirely different after the set-up, but I'm really starting to enjoy the show. With Justified about to end in a couple of weeks, this show has come around for me just in time. I already lost The Mentalist early this year (though it was time for that to end). I also lost The Newsroom. So finding a show I know makes it at least three seasons and is going strong to have a fourth is very encouraging.

• Like 1

Banshee is awesome.  First two seasons were filmed right up the road from me and I know several folks who were extras in some episodes.

• Like 1

dark_slayer

Sons of Anarchy is great show but with so many seasons it has its ups and downs. The whole Irish season could be a yawner at times. Now that the series is over this can be good binge watching material for those in the mood.

When the show started, it was only planned as a 4 or 5 season show. Had Kurt Sutter stuck to that, I think the show would have been much better. Once it passed that point, it really started to unravel in a hurry.

I agree, first two seasons were pretty griping. After that, I just wanted it to end. I skipped about four episodes of the final season because it felt like I was watching the same things happen over and over. Ending was okay, should have come sooner. It would have been a much greater show with 4 seasons I think

xnappo

I've got like 2.5 years of Bate's Motel saved up.  Never started it.  Any good?

I do like good high school stuff (Veronica Mars/Buffy)

Edited by xnappo

jhevener

Bates Motel is one of my favorites, all caught up and awaiting the next episode... Now, though I think the show is a darn side more intelligent than either of your acceptable references, I feel confident in recommending Bates Motel to anyone.

It's a pretty damn good drama with increasing amounts of thriller mixed in as the show rolls along. The characters, especially Vera Farmiga's Norma, are well acted and the writing is especially good.

As a earnest prequel to Hitchcock's Psycho, this program surely has and is going to show all the twisted things (can we say incest?) that happened to Norman before his demise in the original. I can honest say it's gotten better in every episode.

Highly recommended

My Score: 8.5

IMDB Score: 8.2

• Like 1

jhevener

Banshee is awesome.  First two seasons were filmed right up the road from me and I know several folks who were extras in some episodes.

This one hasn't really done much for me after a half dozen or so episodes. I'll have to give it another try when things get lean this summer. 

jhevener

Salem (2014– )

This one's a sleeper. I never had any intention of watching the show because it looked by the previews, to be kinda cheesy and it seemed like the subject of Salem, Massachusetts and the witch trials could not really support a good drama but more of a sensationalist flop. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong. First off, don't expect any real accounting of the actual events of the day except for references scattered about in this total fantasy of the concept.

This one is another period piece that has great sets, costumes, beautiful and ugly people. Lost of repressed and guilty sex, witchcraft, dark intrigue, sorcery, hot babes and T&A. It started a little slow but got rolling within a few episodes because of the great characters and a love story you can relate to. Now, there are quite a few over the top scenes and subplots but if you want a gritty, sometimes creepy (they just have a hill where they dump all the dead and don't bury even them) and an offbeat take on the general subject you might want to check it out.

Two standouts for me are Janet Montgomery as Mary Sibley and Stephen Lang as the evil and tortured/tortuous Increase Mather. I really enjoy this show and look forward to Season 2 which just started last night.

My Rating: 7.2

IMDB Rating: 7.2

Edited by jhevener

jhevener

iZombie? Never having read the comic and seeing that the highest ratings on IMDB are from the under 18 and 18 - 29 age groups. If I hated Buffy and Angel but love the Flash do you think it's worth it for me to give this one a whirl?

xnappo

Did you like Veronica Mars, Dead Like Me, or Tru Calling?

If you like any of those, then probably.  If not, then probably not.

jhevener

Did you like Veronica Mars, Dead Like Me, or Tru Calling?

If you like any of those, then probably.  If not, then probably not.

Can't say I did so thanks for the heads up. I do surprise myself sometimes (I thought I would hate The Walking Dead but am totally hooked).  :)

iZombie for kids, Forever for grown-ups :D

I guess I'm as grown-up as I'll ever be at 58, which still ain't saying much. It is weird to look at grown people with families as kids but I do sometimes. ;) I'll give Forever a whirl.

Thanks for the feedback folks.  ^_^

fantaxp7

Salem (2014– )

This one's a sleeper. I never had any intention of watching the show because it looked by the previews, to be kinda cheesy and it seemed like the subject of Salem, Massachusetts and the witch trials could not really support a good drama but more of a sensationalist flop. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong. First off, don't expect any real accounting of the actual events of the day except for references scattered about in this total fantasy of the concept.

This one is another period piece that has great sets, costumes, beautiful and ugly people. Lost of repressed and guilty sex, witchcraft, dark intrigue, sorcery, hot babes and T&A. It started a little slow but got rolling within a few episodes because of the great characters and a love story you can relate to. Now, there are quite a few over the top scenes and subplots but if you want a gritty, sometimes creepy (they just have a hill where they dump all the dead and don't bury even them) and an offbeat take on the general subject you might want to check it out.

Two standouts for me are Janet Montgomery as Mary Sibley and Stephen Lang as the evil and tortured/tortuous Increase Mather. I really enjoy this show and look forward to Season 2 which just started last night.

My Rating: 7.2

IMDB Rating: 7.2

I was very confused by your synopsis here. As HBO is doing something similar  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4503022/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

jhevener

I was very confused by your synopsis here. As HBO is doing something similar http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4503022/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

I don't know any details about The Devil you Know but they may be more after a faithful recount of the actual history. Salem is not, I repeat NOT trying to be historically accurate. It's properly labeled as Drama/Fantasy but might be better described as a Fantasy/Drama.

Edited by jhevener

mediacowboy

I hope not forever is one of the few shows the wife and I both watch together.

jhevener

I've enjoyed Forever, but according to The Bear, it's almost certain for cancellation, which is a shame http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/03/31/abc-predictions-which-of-the-cancellation-bears-predictions-are-wrong-poll/379071/

Worse ratings than Resurection? Wow, it's gotta be a goner. I'm going to have to rethink this one... nothing worse than investing in a one and done show.

CBers

I've enjoyed Forever, but according to The Bear, it's almost certain for cancellation, which is a shame http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/03/31/abc-predictions-which-of-the-cancellation-bears-predictions-are-wrong-poll/379071/

I hope they don't cancel it, but it's very similar to other police shows, such as Castle but with a different twist, and I don't think the twist has been explored enough.

thefirstofthe300

I have been keeping up with Forever also. Fabulously done show. Have to say the picked a great man to be immortal. Ian Gruffud nails it.

I don't understand the ratings because every post I see related to Forever is that the people watching it absolutely love the show and don't want to see it cancelled. Maybe if ABC bumped it to another night (maybe Monday to replace Castle when it goes??? Or better yet, replace DWTS. :):P) the ratings would skyrocket. Tuesday nights on ABC is like a desert for them.

• Like 2

jhevener

I have been keeping up with Forever also. Fabulously done show. Have to say the picked a great man to be immortal. Ian Gruffud nails it.

I don't understand the ratings because every post I see related to Forever is that the people watching it absolutely love the show and don't want to see it cancelled. Maybe if ABC bumped it to another night (maybe Monday to replace Castle when it goes??? Or better yet, replace DWTS. :):P) the ratings would skyrocket. Tuesday nights on ABC is like a desert for them.

If it gets renewed I'll consider watching it but I'm still pissed about The Borgias and yes, Dracula getting cancelled.