Talk about the Emby Q&A Session

Gilgamesh_48

Dreakon13
18 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

This is why topics like this very seldomly work out as we are way off topic with info unrelated to this topic.

I think it's the fact this is primarily a support forum which generally doesn't lead to good enough vibes for a "fun" Q&A that is prefaced that it won't really answer the difficult or contentious questions that everyone here has.  There are two types of people here... people with issues who are inherently unhappy with something, or sys admins that are by nature kinda know-it-alls pitted against the Emby team who play their cards frustratingly close to their chest at times.

I'd kinda love to see the community be a bit closer to where every thread doesn't just get dominated by people asking things the team don't want to/can't answer... but I think for that to happen, the community needs to be more involved in what the Emby team is working on.  People won't care so much about XYZ if they know the Emby team is focused on ABC.  There will always be unhappy people pounding their fists that their feature request isn't getting worked on fast enough, but most reasonable Emby users that care enough to be here, just want to be a part of the process.  If that's more frequent releases, blog posts, newsletters, updates, etc.

Lambtalk
1 hour ago, speechles said:

The issue is certain people steal. Those certain people who steal that are using Emby to provide a pay service to others are the problem. Limits just slow them down. This is how those "JellyFish" people started. They borrowed some Emby code and removed all the premiere limits. The jellyfish people allow this behavior. Please go give them an earful. 

That is not true in the slightest. The Jellyfin team takes a clear and hard stance against piracy and the moment you allude to obtaining your media in an illegal way, or using piracy focused software such as the arrs stack, then you're turned away and no support is provided. 

Please don't try and incite acts of negativity against a competitor just because you're unhappy that they exist. Be better than that.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Lambtalk said:

That is not true in the slightest. The Jellyfin team takes a clear and hard stance against piracy and the moment you allude to obtaining your media in an illegal way, or using piracy focused software such as the arrs stack, then you're turned away and no support is provided. 

Please don't try and incite acts of negativity against a competitor just because you're unhappy that they exist. Be better than that.

Dude. Do not even go there. You, me, the trees, the forest, the dirt in the forest all know if people who want to run an illegal streaming application then they should run to JellyFish server. Notice I am not disparage the name. I know this is not the right name I am using. I do this intentionally. I do not want people to assume us the same. JellyFish is used most by illegal streamers for profit. Fact.

Now go debate this with them how they intend to stop it. Emby uses the device limit. Now discuss here.

They are not a competitor sir. I do not consider them to be. Nor does anyone else here believe them to be. Incite acts? I am not on their forum espousing for Emby. But they come here all the time to espouse for their version of reality. Perhaps read up on how that project started and why that guy still runs it. Then discuss some more.

Then it becomes clear. They condone it. Emby does not. Then the discussion ends.

It isn't a debate. Go read on Reddit. I'll wait...

Edit:  Here I will get you started. Start here...

Edited by speechles
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Lambtalk
3 minutes ago, speechles said:

Dude. Do not even go there. You, me, the trees, the forest, the dirt in the forest all know if people who want to run an illegal streaming application then they should run to JellyFish server. Notice I am not disparage the name. I know this is not the right name I am using. I do this intentionally. I do not want people to assume us the same. JellyFish is used most by illegal streamers for profit. Fact.

Now go debate this with them how they intend to stop it. Emby uses the device limit. Now discuss here.

They are not a competitor sir. I do not consider them to be. Nor does anyone else here believe them to be. Incite acts? Perhaps read up on how that project started and why that guy still runs it. Then discuss some more.

Then it becomes clear. They condone it. Emby does not. Then the discussion ends.

It isn't a debate. Go read on Reddit. I'll wait...

"JellyFish is used most by illegal streamers for profit. Fact."

Please prove this fact. Where are the stats that show this? I'll wait... Until then, this is just you making an assumption, the same as the other poster who claimed Emby make most of their revenue from licences for paid shares.

Do paid shares exist for both? Yes. Does that make either party complicit? No.

"Now go debate this with them how they intend to stop it."

It's fully self hosted, open source software. We both know that the Jellyfin team have no knowledge or control over how a server is used. But that does not make them complicit or in support of piracy.

"They are not a competitor sir. I do not consider them to be." 

You may not consider them to be, but they are. Fact. When someone asks what media server they should use the options given are always Plex, Jellyfin, Emby. Usually in that order. The fact they are offered as an alternative to Emby makes them a competitor, even if you don't agree with it.

"Perhaps read up on how that project started and why that guy still runs it."

I'm aware of the entire history, including emby-unlocked. But you're cherry picking facts here. There is ONE person who ran emby-unlocked that joined the Jellyfin team. He does not "run" Jellyfin. It is a community driven project. The Project Lead is not the same person who made emby-unlocked.

Jellyfin was created in opposition to Emby going closed source, not the fact that Premiere exists. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence on this forum and Reddit from people who purchased Emby licences but we're unhappy Emby went closed source due to their ideals towards OSS.

"Then it becomes clear. They condone it."

What you're doing here is trying to equate modifying software legally under the terms of a GPL licence to the illegal acquisition of media. Two very different things.

You're allowed to be unhappy that Jellyfin exists, but you're still wrong about them condoning piracy when they openly object it.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Hey everyone, gentle reminder - let's keep the focus of this on Emby questions and avoid turning it into a discussion of other software. Thanks.

Gilgamesh_48
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hey everyone, gentle reminder - let's keep the focus of this on Emby questions and avoid turning it into a discussion of other software. Thanks.

Does Emby plan to actually answer anything in this thread? So far there have been "responses" but no "answers." If this is just another attempt at placating the people that complain then this thread really needs no more attention from anyone. I think this is rapidly becoming more of an exercise in frustration than anything else. 

Happy2Play

2 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Does Emby plan to actually answer anything in this thread? So far there have been "responses" but no "answers." If this is just another attempt at placating the people that complain then this thread really needs no more attention from anyone. I think this is rapidly becoming more of an exercise in frustration than anything else. 

But the first post does cover that.

• Agree 3

bakes82
2 hours ago, speechles said:

Do not keep this type of information to yourself unless you condone this behavior. We do not.

I mean Im pretty sure you can figure out how to look for emby/plex shares on reddit, thats usually the starting place, which then gets you into private discords where then you talk to people and find other/focused groups that provide the same.  Its not like most of these places have a website with a buy now button, alot a feed thru that kronos site since it can integrate with payment and whcsm.

Now IDK what "magic" information you have but I wouldnt imagine the majority of users dont have very many remote users, so quick results would be why does this server have 75+ devices and the host ip = xyz, but every connection to it is remote and very few share the same ip, while not 100% accurate I think you could derive a fair amount of information, much like how plex said hetzner is hosting the majority of their share sellers.

bakes82
3 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Correct, they want to curate what they questions and cherry pick, they also posted on reddit, so you have competition venues.

Gilgamesh_48
29 minutes ago, Luke said:

Over the next few days, please post whatever questions you may have about Emby. We will be taking the top 20 questions or so and putting them together for the Emby developers to answer. After they answer them, we will post all the answers for everyone to see.

So you will pick and choose what answers you will give and what you actually find to be best. 

I guess you really are trying to be like Plex. :( 

It seems this thread is just for stroking egos.

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 1

My impression from this conversation is that once road-map subjects are off the table, users don't have many questions they want to ask... 🙂 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 4

Gilgamesh_48
6 minutes ago, softworkz said:

My impression from this conversation is that once road-map subjects are off the table, users don't have many questions they want to ask... 🙂 

Or, maybe, many/most users have trouble believing that Emby will answer any meaningful questions. They will choose what they answer so there is little confidence that the "answers" will actually mean anything. 

Of course I am subject to being surprised at times and "some" surprises are actually pleasant.

But I guess my negativism (I believe I have good reason for negative feelings but others may not) is a bit non-productive in this thread so I will bow out at least until Emby provides some answers.  

bakes82
1 hour ago, wordlover said:

My question, which I don't know where else to ask: why does Luke continue to refuse to acknowledge problems with Music Library image handling, even after multiple users are posting multiple screenshots and detailed problem reports. I am so frustrated and exhausted from the lack of support let alone acknowledgement of what is a basic, fixable limitation in how Emby currently handles album images in music libraries.

So why not use an alternative platform that does work instead if you aren’t able to get the support and functionality you want here.  I don’t personally use emby daily because of the many issues with DV and appleTV. So rather than fighting and hoping I’ll use a product that is supported and developed for what I want.  Not like I can ask for a refund of my premier account. That would be great.

darkassassin07

Does that mean you'll finally stop nominating yourself as the voice of the people and leave?

Getting real sick of reading 'nobody wants that' 'everyone want's this' like you're some ambassador of media server users.

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 8

sross44

As I mentioned in the original post, the idea behind this was to gather a list of questions that people are interested in hearing about. The only thing that was off the table was roadmap questions. Emby is a media server with many function so there should definitely be more questions than just roadmap. It’s being used daily and people aren’t just waiting for future updates. With that being said, we do understand the interest in knowing what is coming too.

If you have issues with the Emby platform or a specific app, try posting in the proper forum. You may be more likely to get a helpful response. It seems lately that every positive post gets turned in to something that someone wants to complain about. While we understand that our product is not perfect, we believe we are the best in the industry and we strive to continue to improve. One of the ways we improve is by user feedback so we welcome both the positive and negative. Just please keep in mind the appropriate places for the feedback!

In another day or so we will compile the list of questions for the Emby team to answer!

• Like 5

Gilgamesh_48
10 minutes ago, sross44 said:

In another day or so we will compile the list of questions for the Emby team to answer!

But every day that is not today is "another" day. ;) :D 

This conversation does not really make a welcoming appearance. Why not create another conversation "Q&A Session - Your Questions" in which you repost only the questions made so far, allow posting new questions but anything that is not a question will be deleted. This one can be kept as the gossip talk around the Q&A questions. 

I don't think that many will want add a question here after reading...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Why not create another conversation "Q&A Session - Your Questions" in which you repost only the questions made so far, allow posting new questions but anything that is not a question will be deleted

Or split-off all non-questions from here into a separate conversation.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play
35 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

But every day that is not today is "another" day. ;) :D 

And that is why the canned response of "certainly possible in future updates" doesn't go to well as when is the future update.

• Agree 2

iiiJoe
23 hours ago, bakes82 said:

But I probably know nothing, right.

If you can’t come up with some specifics on how to help Emby team to stop said abuse, why mention it at all? You seem to be coming across as bitter and negative, imo. And, kinda feels like you ARE contributing “nothing” to what was meant to be a positive and informative thread. 

Edited by iiiJoe
  • Agree 4

bakes82
6 hours ago, Seger said:

Will we still experience a wave of updates across all systems in 2024 so that we are visually and functionally at the same level on the different systems?

Will sideloading on Android come to an end?

Will the metadata manager be expanded and become a server helper, e.g. to tidy up metadata, move it and identify missing content?

Will we see a visual reboot of the IOS app? Or will the apps be visually adapted again?

Will there be a customisable newsletter so that you can recommend films to yourself and your family?

Will the direct play functionality be expanded further?

Will CoverArt be integrated into Core as standard?

Will IntroSkip be further developed and better implemented?

Will there be a better source for trailers so that we can save them offline as well as country-specific? An alternative would be to choose an online provider, but then you run the risk that they will no longer exist at some point.

I left out all my opinions and just wrote down what I could think of.

Best regards

seger

These are all roadmap questions 

• Disagree 1

bakes82
4 hours ago, adminExitium said:

Are there any plans for allowing WASM-based plugins (using something like https://github.com/bytecodealliance/wasmtime-dotnet)?

I am interested in creating quite a few plugins but have been blocked due to them requiring knowledge of C#, which I lack the time to learn at the moment. I would prefer to write the plugins in Golang, Python or even Rust, if it becomes possible.

If you know go and rust you know c#.

• Disagree 1

bakes82
56 minutes ago, iiiJoe said:

If you can’t come up with some specifics on how to help Emby team to stop said abuse, why mention it at all? You seem to be coming across as bitter and negative, imo. And, kinda feels like you ARE contributing “nothing” to what was meant to be a positive and informative thread. 

When someone is robbing a store the police don’t tell me to go arrest the person.  What more info do you want me to give?  These places are using PRIVATE discords, we have already determined 95% will be using hetzner servers.  It’s not like when baconfeet was doing it and they had a public website lol. They use underground means, telegram, etc.  at some point the emby folks if they care need to figure out a tracking mechanism or just say we can’t do anything about and it’s fine.  They know who they sell device licenses too and the qty, I believe per their agreement they are also allowed to audit the servers for content?  Maybe start there?  I don’t know what information emby collects maybe they don’t have the information like plex has since plex phones home, but I assume they have the ips when you register a premier license to a server, and we know they track devices which also have ips since they are the ones who control the actual in use count and don’t expose it to us because I’m not sure why luke said it some where.  I’m also sure they aren’t going to tell us what tracking methods they have just like plex doesn’t, I’m just point out some of the major ones we know based of what plex has done.  If plex comes out tomorrow and says we banning all servers in Kenya I guess add that as possible criteria.

bakes82
1 hour ago, iiiJoe said:

Okay, so I just spend 2 min, I went to google - typed in "emby shares"

First link goes to reddit:  

Scroll down that found this link:

Shopping Cart - The Hive Storage

image.thumb.png.50e1193bf7c4c33d4db3921fd26557f0.png

Found this also in the post:

image.png.fc0f2effbd4e701078ba6dca055c5b1b.png

Ill take my bounty now.

Edited by bakes82