Talk about the Emby Q&A Session

Gilgamesh_48

TMCsw
2 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

You’re probably showing more you’re age than anything ;)

Please stop the flaming/name calling😄

darkassassin07

Every single discord server I've ever used was a god awful mess that's impossible to find anything useful in.

Discord is a group chat platform; trying to track requests, issues, and individual conversations is a nightmare. Particularly for people that dont have the time/energy to read/scroll through mountains of messages every day.

Fine for a random group chat with friends; terrible replacement for a forum and large communities.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Agree 3

bakes82
9 minutes ago, sross44 said:

Maybe what would be helpful is to know how the Emby team decides what features they are going to work on? Is it based on community feedback or is up to to the dev team? What goes into those decisions?

Nope. The process of what’s being fixed when/how isn’t interesting.  I work in enterprise architecture, road maps where it’s at. You can publish a vision w/out dates/months/details. You give high level objectives, not sure why you think it’s so hard, like every business had a vision lol and if you have investors you tend to have to inform them in those quarterly meetings.  Why I said I like the jetbrains 2024.1 let us know what the high levels goals are going to be for the release. 

4 minutes ago, bakes82 said:
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Moderate on both and still can't stand Discord but everyone has their pet peeves.

You’re probably showing more you’re age than anything ;)

I don't think this is a matter of age, nor is it in any way modern.

IMO, this is just unorganized brain-spamming made for people with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorders and the likes. You will never see me posting anything there, because when I do and take the time for answering questions in a (sometimes more, sometimes less) comprehensive way, then I want those to be accessible and searchable for others, not only for some feed junkies ingesting everything that is being written there.

That's my personal opinion. Everybody may feel free to like it, but not claim that it would be a matter of age, to which I can only respond that I would rather consider it as a matter of intelligence.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

bakes82
1 minute ago, softworkz said:

I don't think this is a matter of age, nor is it in any way modern.

IMO, this is just unorganized brain-spamming made for people with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorders and the likes. You will never see me posting anything there, because when I do and take the time for answering questions in a (sometimes more, sometimes less) comprehensive way, then I want those to be accessible and searchable for others, not only for some feed junkies ingesting everything that is being written there.

That's my personal opinion. Everybody may feel free to like it, but not claim that it would be a matter of age, to which I can only respond that I would rather consider it as a matter of intelligence.

No one searches here. Half the posts are duplicated, and yes age plays a huge role in the technology people use, and how they view it.  Younger generations are going to prefer discord because sonarr radarr pmm and a bunch of other projects are all in discord. And well you usually already have it open. Who wants to go to some forum that’s style is from 1990 and then the search functionality is meh.  When you could go type the question and someone will probably tell you the answer in 30 seconds.  So while you say it’s not age, it tends to be, because it’s the norm for younger folks and not the norm for older folks. Maybe your goal is to only market to older folks in that case the current ui and forums are great for that audience:

• Disagree 5

10 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

and someone will probably tell you the answer in 30 seconds

For answers of those kinds, AI will take over shortly. It's always available and has more relevant information than any other user who might accidentally be attending within those 30 seconds. So, speaking of modern, I think this way of interaction is almost a thing of the past already.

And for those kinds of questions which neither chat participants nor AI can answer, you will continue to find the answers only here in the forums.

• Agree 1

Gilgamesh_48

I actually now mostly like the "not knowing" what is coming and the uncertainty of how things are progressing. Emby fails some/a lot of the time to get fixes out but, so far at least for me, they have never failed to fix serious problems in a timely fashion. 

I have "to me" there are many "important" fixes/features that Emby has not fixed/implemented but none of those keep me from using Emby to good effect. It seems that Emby is very good at fixing/preventing problems that effect the entire user community but not so good at fixing the little irritant problems that pretty much everyone has.

3 minutes ago, softworkz said:

For answers of those kinds, AI will take over shortly. It's always available and has more relevant information than any other user who might accidentally be attending within those 30 seconds. So, speaking of modern, I think this way of interaction is almost a thing of the past already.

And for those kinds of questions which neither chat participants nor AI can answer, you will continue to find the answers only here in the forums.

I do NOT trust AI at all and I wish it could be totally avoided but lazy people will use it and abuse it and those of us that do not like it really have no way of avoiding it. 

To have "artificial intelligence" you must first have actual "intelligence" and there really seems very little of that in the current world.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I do NOT trust AI at all and I wish it could be totally avoided but lazy people will use it and abuse it and those of us that do not like it really have no way of avoiding it. 

Trusting is dangerous, being skeptical is crucial, but being rejective is a dead end.

I thik the most challenging part, now and in the future, is to determine when it is reasonable and beneficial to use and when not, and secondly how judge and evaluate the given results when using.

Which I'm not worried about is "lazy people", because AI is always averaging over a vast amount of knowledge and that means, that while it may allow to achieve average results for those who would otherwise range below, it will never be able to achieve excellence.

pwhodges
2 hours ago, bakes82 said:

No one cares. There is less than 10 devs these stats mean nothing. 

For prediction purposes the stats would be useless, sure; but extrapolating from the devs is meaningless.  My interest is in seeing to what extent the devs' own usage is near to or far from the types of usage which users bring up problems with.

Paul

bakes82
16 minutes ago, softworkz said:

because AI is always averaging over a vast amount of knowledge and that means, that while it may allow to achieve average results for those who would otherwise range below, it will never be able to achieve excellence

What?  This is why you use a highly refined and tuned model. Going to chatgpt to ask about emby would be pretty bad since the only training it would have is the website and the forums so the data set is already corrupted.

Gilgamesh_48
10 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Which I'm not worried about is "lazy people", because AI is always averaging over a vast amount of knowledge and that means, that while it may allow to achieve average results for those who would otherwise range below, it will never be able to achieve excellence.

That is the very problem i am concerned about. I do NOT want to be influenced by the "average" as i consider average people to be unable to formulate good plans for progress. That is the problem with democracy, the "best" used to be able to rise to the top but we now have "average" people putting "average" people in charge. And that is also true for software development where too many "average" people are involved and they have the power to make those of real intelligence melt into the background while those "average" people force the decisions to be "average." 

I want truly intelligent people to be in charge but that does not happen. But this is not the correct thread to explore the possibilities of AI and I guess if you and I and others want to continue 

• Agree 1

pwhodges
1 hour ago, bakes82 said:

No one searches here. Half the posts are duplicated, and yes age plays a huge role in the technology people use, and how they view it.

I search here; I use Discord; I'm 77 (first used a computer in 1966 and never stopped).  I accept that I'm not typical, but please don't put so much weight onto generalisations (aka stereotypes), as I am far from unique.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Agree 4

21 minutes ago, bakes82 said:
39 minutes ago, softworkz said:

because AI is always averaging over a vast amount of knowledge and that means, that while it may allow to achieve average results for those who would otherwise range below, it will never be able to achieve excellence

What?  This is why you use a highly refined and tuned model. Going to chatgpt to ask about emby would be pretty bad since the only training it would have is the website and the forums so the data set is already corrupted.

The quote was a general statement and not related to the earlier one where I said that chat groups  (with regards to the specific aspect of asking questions about a product) will be outlived by AI and yes, for that case it would need to be a specialized model in some form (techniques for this are evolving). The current kind of "fine-tuning" like it is available of the OpenAI models does not yet allow to achieve this kind of specialization. Interestingly all the other "specialized" models I've looked at so far are inferior to the OpenAI models without specialization, but I have no doubt that it's just a matter of time until this gap will be closed.

• Agree 1

bakes82
8 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

I search here; I use Discord; I'm 77 (first used a computer in 1966 and never stopped).  I accept that I'm not typical, but please don't put so much weight onto generalisations (aka stereotypes), as I am far from unique.

Paul

1 outlier doesn’t disprove the generalizations and stats lol. You just further prove it ….

So for discord 75% of user base is 45 or less and 5% 65+.   Do tell how you’re not “unique”.

https://www.distuts.com/discord-age-statistics-who-uses-the-platform-and-why/

How about TikTok ?

similar pattern here too 

https://explodingtopics.com/blog/tiktok-demographics

facebook?

nope same trend

https://blog.hootsuite.com/facebook-statistics/#Facebook_user_stats

The tends don’t seem to show higher percents of older people over time they have remained flat, wonder why that is, we are living longer.

Happy2Play

This is why topics like this very seldomly work out as we are way off topic with info unrelated to this topic.

• Agree 10

user24

@rbjtech Thanks for the Youtube info! I'll check it out over the weekend...

@sross44 Perhaps add a YouTube logo and link to the top RHS of the Emby website. Beyond that, I have a few general YouTube thoughts that may be of some interest to you, from first-hand experience of managing a company YouTube channel for ten years. Let me know via PM if so, if not I won't be offended. (Nothing really secret or sinister involved, but doesn't really belong as part of this thread.)

Edited by user24

iiiJoe
4 hours ago, bakes82 said:

1 outlier doesn’t disprove the generalizations and stats lol

And stats RARELY convey the whole picture

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, bakes82 said:

also a large portion of their device licensing comes from emby share selling.

I've already told you many times this is blatantly false.  We try to stop these guys at every juncture.  If we were interested in getting more money from that usage, why would we limit the devices as we do even when people keep trying to give us more money for more devices?

We 100% do NOT condone this use of our product.

• Like 4

bakes82
2 hours ago, ebr said:

I've already told you many times this is blatantly false.  We try to stop these guys at every juncture.  If we were interested in getting more money from that usage, why would we limit the devices as we do even when people keep trying to give us more money for more devices?

We 100% do NOT condone this use of our product.

You do a really poor job then because I know more people than fingers that have "friends" that pay them for slots and have > 500 "friends", maybe you are unaware of many services that are out there and how easy it is to find, plex actively terminates accounts because 99% of the time one of the users find the service to be bad or what not and get turned in, hence why hetzner is banned as the majority of these share services use it.  I also know that with the hetzner ban many plex shares went emby and there was even a provided paypal link for a 500 device license since it was removed from the store ya know ;)  I belive the comment was just tell them youre in IT they dont even check server like they claim they can.

Lots of services out there dedicated to this selling use: Kronos - Simplify your media stack (kronosapp.io)

If you then go find secret/not so secret discords/reddits you can just buy a dedicated emby/plex/jelly server with media attached and start selling in under an hour, plus you can run multi dockers on a server so you could have maybe 2 per server with 45 device licenses and probably do fine that would be close to 100 users per server which sounds about right if you assume less than half will be using at any given time and you dont allow transcoding.

You dont need large device limits lol, no single server can support that many and you can just have more servers with 45/75 ..... I don't see your argument as valid, yes Im aware they key can be used on many servers but only using a 75 key also limits your exposure if one was to ever be banned, so you did more to help than hurt.

But I probably know nothing, right.

jaycedk

@bakes82 so to overcome the issue you describe here.

Emby would have to use phone home ?

Is this really what your are advocating, for here ?

What is you plan ? do you have a solution ?

Or are you just as toxic as you have always been.

Will leave it as is. 

Edited by jaycedk

bakes82
3 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

@bakes82 so to overcome the issue you describe here.

Emby would have to use phone home ?

Is this really what your are advocating, for here ?

What is you plan ? do you have a solution ?

Or are you just as toxic as you have always been.

Will leave it as is. 

Is it my job to solve it?

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, bakes82 said:

You do a really poor job then because I know more people than fingers that have "friends" that pay them for slots and have > 500 "friends", maybe you are unaware of many services that are out there and how easy it is to find

Please elucidate us. Do not keep this type of information to yourself unless you condone this behavior. We do not. Either you are using hyperbole, or you are serious? Which is it? Are you part of the problem or part of the solution? Which side of the fence are you on? When you mention all the evil things people are doing with Emby and then give no actual evidence or proof where we can act on it. Is sort of like baiting us or send us on wild goose chases? It becomes hard to defend that point of view.

-------------------------

The issue is certain people steal. Those certain people who steal that are using Emby to provide a pay service to others are the problem. Limits just slow them down. This is how those "JellyFish" people started. They borrowed some Emby code and removed all the premiere limits. The jellyfish people allow this behavior. Please go give them an earful. Emby is doing the best it can to keep those certain people from doing these type of shenanigans.

On a side note though, I know that Emby listens to users to know which things deserve attention in each app. Along with having priority dictated by Beta server updates. It is very fast paced. Sometimes it isn't possible to keep up on every app but damn we try hard. Real life also gets in the way. We try to do the best we can with the time we are given. It is hard to go into details but believe me it is supposed to be fun. It isn't fun when you only hear the users with issues all the time. But it is what it is. The fun is when you solve the problem finally after hours of headaches.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

scb99
19 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I actually now mostly like the "not knowing" what is coming and the uncertainty of how things are progressing. Emby fails some/a lot of the time to get fixes out but, so far at least for me, they have never failed to fix serious problems in a timely fashion. 

I have "to me" there are many "important" fixes/features that Emby has not fixed/implemented but none of those keep me from using Emby to good effect. It seems that Emby is very good at fixing/preventing problems that effect the entire user community but not so good at fixing the little irritant problems that pretty much everyone has.

To have "artificial intelligence" you must first have actual "intelligence" and there really seems very little of that in the current world.

You are very wrong. I've been using AI in various capacities for a year or so now. What I can say is, it's sometimes truly remarkable, even mind boggling, what it can achieve.  In coding, in writing, pitching. Of course, it has its limitations. For instance, it's smartest in English, I use also German and some other languages and the difference in quality is quite noticeable. And it can't cope at all with mixed languages. But please don't underestimate how fast this is moving. This is the start of the internet, all over again.

OK sorry to drag this thread off topic probably.

Edited by scb99

roaku

I wonder, if one were to give an 'AI'/LLM a topic of discussion, how long it would take for said 'AI'/LLM to veer off onto completely unrelated topics as well as how that length of time might correlate to its effectiveness in simulating intelligence.

• Haha 1