Talk about the Emby Q&A Session

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48
1 minute ago, arrbee99 said:

Why is the road map proprietary ?

I'll make a guess here: The "road map" is proprietary because Emby wants to hide their plans from Plex and from their (Emby's) users. Why? Because they do not really trust either.

bakes82
2 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I'll make a guess here: The "road map" is proprietary because Emby wants to hide their plans from Plex and from their (Emby's) users. Why? Because they do not really trust either.

There is a difference in reporting the detailed roadmap with dates but you can easily say for 2024 the overarching goals are to ex align all apps to support the same functionality.  I don’t think plex cares what emby is doing they have their own backers that will be driving the priorities.  Emby doesn’t even really compete in the same market, there is like 0 discover and multi server support from a unified UI, plea is more of a social media platform.  What is a feature you think emby could implement that plex would be like omg we missed the boat and need to do that too, would be interesting since plex tends to have more features over all now.

arrbee99

I am quite tempted to wonder if there actually is one, but I figure if I can pop off and read the one for Infuse, why not Emby ?

Gilgamesh_48
5 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

There is a difference in reporting the detailed roadmap with dates but you can easily say for 2024 the overarching goals are to ex align all apps to support the same functionality.  I don’t think plex cares what emby is doing they have their own backers that will be driving the priorities.  Emby doesn’t even really compete in the same market, there is like 0 discover and multi server support from a unified UI, plea is more of a social media platform.  What is a feature you think emby could implement that plex would be like omg we missed the boat and need to do that too, would be interesting since plex tends to have more features over all now.

I should have included that Emby cares a lot about Plex but you are probably correct that Plex is totally non-caring about Emby. It is not an uncommon occurrence for #2 to envy and even be afraid of #1. Emby quite often gets very defensive when Plex is mentioned. Of course hiding the development from Plex is something I can easily see Emby doing. Paranoia is something that is common for #2. It is somewhat normal for #2 to fear #1 and Emby has, a lot, behaved like they are afraid of Plex.

As far as the expressed desire to have all apps look and feel the same, I think that is a mistake. The apps should be similar but trying to make them identical is vast overkill. It often means that the developers of the better apps on better platforms are held back because they cannot implement things the lesser platforms cannot do. If all apps are made identical then all but one will be under performing.

Being #2 is only bad for development when #2 becomes #1 or really tries to become #1.

roaku

I am curious as to how one would go about closing Pandora's Box in the event of one having opened it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Agree 1

Gilgamesh_48
1 minute ago, roaku said:

I am curious as to how one would go about closing Pandora's Box in the event of one having opened it?

Can you explain that? What, in Emby's universe, are you equating to Pandora's Box?

richt

Is the Emby dev team going to adopt an Agile framework for development?
Will Emby consider moving to a quicker release cadence with a more limited set of development goals for each cycle?

In working with software development practices, I have seen how a quarterly release cycle (point release, not major version) would be well received by the community as well as benefit the developers ability to focus on a specific set of enhancements and fixes.

Edited by richt
  • Agree 1

bakes82
46 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I should have included that Emby cares a lot about Plex but you are probably correct that Plex is totally non-caring about Emby. It is not an uncommon occurrence for #2 to envy and even be afraid of #1. Emby quite often gets very defensive when Plex is mentioned. Of course hiding the development from Plex is something I can easily see Emby doing. Paranoia is something that is common for #2. It is somewhat normal for #2 to fear #1 and Emby has, a lot, behaved like they are afraid of Plex.

As far as the expressed desire to have all apps look and feel the same, I think that is a mistake. The apps should be similar but trying to make them identical is vast overkill. It often means that the developers of the better apps on better platforms are held back because they cannot implement things the lesser platforms cannot do. If all apps are made identical then all but one will be under performing.

Being #2 is only bad for development when #2 becomes #1 or really tries to become #1.

Have you seen plex, they have a "unified" UI and feature set, and Im just using that as an example, Im not sure what magic features you are talking about that lets say an appletv could do vs a shield vs a roku, the majority of issues are the TV apps, drop support for those make people use devices, but a device not being able to play atmos doesnt mean you dont allow other devices to use it.

bakes82
12 minutes ago, user24 said:

I can't think of too many high-tech companies that do? Generally it comes down to

Do these companies produce software that require user testing?  Even apple for their products and iOS give updates on whats planned, they have already stated for ios 18 they are adding rcs support and using LLMs for siri off the top of my head.  Also once their products hit beta, they dont usually continue to add new features like Emby does.  Emby would also need to figure out a release cycle and start managing releases properly, its like a bunch of junior programmers all playing in the main branch.  Im very much a fan of how jetbrains does their releases and notifications Rider 2024.1 Roadmap | The .NET Tools Blog (jetbrains.com) there is a clear thoughtful decimation of heres what we are looking to achieve for this build cycle so you know when you are testing it whats being worked on.

If we look at emby patch notes, they dont even align

The differences between versions 4.9.0.3 and 4.9.0.5 are as follows - no other builds had patch notes:

In 4.9.0.5, the following changes were added but not listed as being changes for 4.9.0.5 so where did they come in at?:

• Improve library scan performance
  • Improve live tv guide refresh performance
  • Add photo slideshow time per slide option
  • Add Play Slideshow context menu action for photos
  • Fix links section not showing for Collections

4.9.0.3 - https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/tag/4.9.0.3
Fix episode scanning regression
Cumulative changes since stable release:

Start running hardware detection earlier on startup to try and avoid playback errors
Portuguese tv naming fixes
Support ja-jp language code
Fix CA-A parental rating value
Fix more like this not hiding played media when the option is set
Fix sporadic cases of live streams ending early
Fix multiple live tv views showing
FIx manage collaboration showing for playlists when permission to share personal content is denied

4.9.0.5 - https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/tag/4.9.0.5

Fix .sdh missing from subtitle download file name
Refresh metadata on tracks when music albums are refreshed
Fix Referer header in log not being anonymized
Fix thumbnails for extras not being created
Cumulative changes since stable release:

Improve library scan performance
Improve live tv guide refresh performance
Start running hardware detection earlier on startup to try and avoid playback errors
Portuguese tv naming fixes
Support ja-jp language code
Fix CA-A parental rating value
Fix more like this not hiding played media when the option is set
Fix sporadic cases of live streams ending early
Fix multiple live tv views showing
FIx manage collaboration showing for playlists when permission to share personal content is denied
Add photo slideshow time per slide option
Add Play Slideshow context menu action for photos
Fix links section not showing for Collections
Fix .sdh missing from subtitle download file name
Refresh metadata on tracks when music albums are refreshed
Fix Referer header in log not being anonymized
Fix thumbnails for extras not being created

11 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Can you explain that? What, in Emby's universe, are you equating to Pandora's Box?

Pretty sure he meant this thread :).

Keep 'em coming though...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

rbjtech
15 hours ago, user24 said:
  • Would Emby consider having an official YouTube channel for announcement updates and tutorials?

https://www.youtube.com/@embyshow

Last update was over a year ago... :(

@softworkzhimself presented on these - I thought they were well worth the investment in time to watch.

v4.8 Auth - passwords/pins and such like would have been a great topic for a YT 'how to' .... ;)

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

v4.8 Auth - passwords/pins and such like would have been a great topic for a YT 'how to'

There is a blog post and announcement on that. Has anyone noticed?  Also the docs were updated back with the release. 

My point being that even when we have these things people rarely seek them out. 

Y’all feel free to continue to complain as that is all good feedback but not really the point of this post.  User24 is understanding what we’re after here but criticisms are fine too. Just may not factor much into the result of this post because I can answer most of them right now. Limited resources that are human and trying to do the best we can to make the most people happy. We obviously have plenty to improve on and we’ll strive to do that. 

hthgihwaymonk

User24 is understanding what we’re after

And I get that the point of this thread is "that" type of question.
But for me, at least, I don't care about answers to that type of stuff.
The questions I would have would BE about that proprietary roadmap and when/if features are coming.
Unfortunately those questions will not be answered

badous
5 hours ago, rbjtech said:

@softworkzhimself presented on these - I thought they were well worth the investment in time to watch.

v4.8 Auth - passwords/pins and such like would have been a great topic for a YT 'how to' .... ;)

I enjoyed the videos I watched there.

It is a shame it stopped.

TMCsw
43 minutes ago, hthgihwaymonk said:

What are some of the favorite films that the emby team likes to watch ?

bakes82
4 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Assuming (!) that the devs all use Emby for their media handling, it would be interesting to try to see how similar their watching/listening habits are to us users in general.

• What proportion of devs regularly use subtitles (whether for anime and other foreign language media, or to compensate for poor hearing, maybe of a family member)?
  • What proportion of the devs use Emby as their main provider of music (whether albums or classical music that doesn't easily follow the album format)?
  • How are the devs split between those who watch/listen primarily to the content itself and so are largely content with good enough reproduction, as opposed to those who pixel peek to find the slightest flaws (outside of their explicit development work)?
  • To what extent do the devs actively compare their product with the main competitors?

Paul

No one cares. There is less than 10 devs these stats mean nothing. I’d also say MOST users not using emby of audio also a large portion of their device licensing comes from emby share selling.

• Facepalm 1
  • Disagree 2

6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Last video was 5 months ago, not 12.

And it's in no way dead, it's one of the few things where I can promise that something is coming...

Edited by softworkz
  • Haha 1

bakes82
2 hours ago, sross44 said:

Simply speaking this is just to get to know the team and product more than we may organically share. 

Yeah I can’t say I’ve seen post where people want to know more about the devs…. Not sure where you came up with this notion.  Based on the current feedback seems clear people rather hear about a vision of the product and what can be expected this year, but then you said we aren’t talking about that stuff, so what’s the point?  Do we care that lukes favorite color is blue?

bakes82
4 minutes ago, softworkz said:

And it's in no way dead

The best video has 4k views of the 7 videos <8k total views.  It doesn’t seem like it’s really worth spending more time on it.  Why not focus on something more 2024 like a discord server.

• Disagree 4

sross44
3 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

Yeah I can’t say I’ve seen post where people want to know more about the devs…. Not sure where you came up with this notion.  Based on the current feedback seems clear people rather hear about a vision of the product and what can be expected this year, but then you said we aren’t talking about that stuff, so what’s the point?  Do we care that lukes favorite color is blue?

A vision of the future is very different than a roadmap. So let me try to clarify. 

This was posted to generate general questions that people have about Emby. Not create negativity. The Emby team does not want to share a roadmap. It’s something that has been asked countless times over and the response has been the same. 

Now taking that into consideration maybe the questions you and others do have can be answered in general terms. Maybe what would be helpful is to know how the Emby team decides what features they are going to work on? Is it based on community feedback or is up to to the dev team? What goes into those decisions? Things like that speak to what may or may not be worked on but at least gives people an idea of what the future may look like for Emby. 

Happy2Play

And veering off topic but not matter what is done you will never please everyone.  But personally don't see a point of Discord and a Forum.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 6

bakes82
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

And veering off topic but not matter what is done you will never please everyone.  But personally don't see a point of Discord and a Forum.

Every major player has a discord….  Get rid of the forums also if that’s your issue but plex has both.

• Disagree 5

Happy2Play
Just now, bakes82 said:

Every major player has a discord….  Get rid of the forums also if that’s your issue but plex has both.

Moderate on both and still can't stand Discord but everyone has their pet peeves.

bakes82
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Moderate on both and still can't stand Discord but everyone has their pet peeves.

You’re probably showing more you’re age than anything ;)