Shuffle All issue

francoisp
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

francoisp
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi.  If this is the issue you are still having then I can no longer reproduce it so we'll need to look at a new set of logs.

Thanks.

I'm fine with that. Just tell me what you need again.

Reproduce the issue and then send a log from the app and provide the server log from the same time period.

Thanks.

francoisp
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ebr said:

Reproduce the issue and then send a log from the app and provide the server log from the same time period.

Thanks.

Server version is 4.8.3

Android phone app version is 3.3.77

EDIT: I should add that I was suffling the "world" genre and I am getting songs from all genre mixed in.

logs attached

embyserver log.txt app log.txt

Edited by francoisp
additional info

Okay, so both of those are with the standard Android app on a phone?

francoisp
30 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, so both of those are with the standard Android app on a phone?

Yes, same phone.

francoisp

@ebrThe strange thing is that if I shuffle from the main genre screen, it works fine but if I shuffle from the genre albums screen, it breaks the server.

EZEd

@francoisp, for the items that you are shuffle playing, do they have more than one genre associated? I think that may be the problem. I noticed that even though I am selecting a specific genre to shuffle, most, if not all of the items have multiple genre tags. So maybe Emby is either not respecting multiple genre tags or is disregarding them and is "Shuffling All" on everything, not just the selected genre. That's what seems to be going on in my particular case. At least that's what's happening on my phone. I still can't figure out what it's doing on Android TV. It's the same annoyance but slightly different behavior between Android 3.3.77 on my phone and Android TV 2.0.33.

francoisp
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, EZEd said:

@francoisp, for the items that you are shuffle playing, do they have more than one genre associated? I think that may be the problem. I noticed that even though I am selecting a specific genre to shuffle, most, if not all of the items have multiple genre tags. So maybe Emby is either not respecting multiple genre tags or is disregarding them and is "Shuffling All" on everything, not just the selected genre. That's what seems to be going on in my particular case. At least that's what's happening on my phone. I still can't figure out what it's doing on Android TV. It's the same annoyance but slightly different behavior between Android 3.3.77 on my phone and Android TV 2.0.33.

I use iTunes to update my albums and songs info. Each song on an album can only have one genre but different songs can have different genres. 

Edited by francoisp
clarification

EZEd

Okay, don't know what the pattern is then. I'm using MP3Tag to tag all of mine which allows for multiple tags per song/album and Emby is supposed to respect that arrangement with the correct delimiters. Which it does do from the library management and sorting side. But it just seems of late it doesn't respect it from the shuffle play side. Like library management has become disconnected from play request. And again I don't understand why when all of this was working fine and well up through server 4808. The break just seemed to happen at 4810.

• 2 weeks later...
viking19

@francoisp @EZEd I was wrong, music shuffle is still broken. My testing was done with a limited number of albums in a test server and both AndroidTV and mobile seemed to work. However, after adding my entire music library I'm seeing the same results as you in AndroidTV, mobile and the browser web app.

I sent a log from the Android TV app at 4:15 eastern (2:15 my time) user michael and provide a server log and pic of the TV after shuffling the Country genre showing other genres.

shuffle genre via Android TV.jpg

shuffle genre via Android TV.txt

viking19

I know this is an Android TV thread but here are my results from the browser web app.

Music>Genres>Country icon>Shuffle : fast but wrong genres

Music>Genres>Country>Artists>Shuffle : fast but wrong genres

Music>Genres>Country>Albums>Shuffle : very slow, high cpu usage, correct genre

Music>Genres>Country>Songs>Shuffle : very slow, high cpu usage, correct genre

Logs from Country icon>Shuffle and Country>Songs>Shuffle

Picture from Country icon>Shuffle showing wrong genres

Picture from Country>Songs>Shuffle showing high cpu usage

I did not include anything from the mobile app as it's the same results as the web app.

This all worked with server 4.7.14

shuffle from genre icon browser.jpg

pc while waiting for shuffle from genre songs list browser.png

shuffle from genre icon browser.txt shuffle from genre songs list browser.txt

28 minutes ago, viking19 said:

Country

Hi, what do you mean by Picture from Country Icon?

viking19
8 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, what do you mean by Picture from Country Icon?

As I mentioned those pics are from the web browser on PC, I included them to show this is not platform specific.

The fist pic is the resulting playlist when selecting shuffle from the menu on the Country genre icon.(below pic)

The second pic is showing the high cpu usage during the very long wait after clicking through Music>Genres>Country>Songs>Shuffle; though this results in tracks only from the selected genre.

This happens with all genres, I just chose Country as it's the most obvious to quickly see the wrong tracks.

shuffle from genre icon in browser(1).jpg

• Thanks 1

francoisp
Posted (edited)

@ebr

@LukeI haven't heard whether or not the suffle issue has been duplicated on your end and if there's a timeline to get it fixed. I reported it almost 2 months ago.

Edited by francoisp

23 hours ago, francoisp said:

@ebr

@LukeI haven't heard whether or not the suffle issue has been duplicated on your end and if there's a timeline to get it fixed. I reported it almost 2 months ago.

HI, have you updated to Emby Server 4.8.5? Has that helped?

francoisp
1 hour ago, Luke said:

HI, have you updated to Emby Server 4.8.5? Has that helped?

Unfortunately, the issue persists with 4.8.5. 

I'm confused by the fact that the issue has been reported by a number of people on this thread so I would think it shouldn't be too hard to reproduce.  @viking19has reported that the shuffle issue surfaced after adding his whole library. I also have a large library of over 10,000 songs. Could there be a link?

viking19

No change with server 4.8.5.

My testing of 4.8.x was with a collection of about 500 tracks and shuffle seemed to be working, my main library has over 18000 tracks so maybe size matters.

Also, it is not just shuffle that's broken, clicking play has the same behaviour in the same combinations as I mentioned earlier.

Edited by viking19
clarity

Hi, we've identified and resolved an issue where some incorrect items can end up being played when playing or shuffling a genre. For those seeing a crash or slow performance when playing or shuffling a genre, I think the fix will help with that as well. This will be on the beta channel in a day or two and then backported to the next 4.8.X maintenance release next week. Thanks.

francoisp
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, we've identified and resolved an issue where some incorrect items can end up being played when playing or shuffling a genre. For those seeing a crash or slow performance when playing or shuffling a genre, I think the fix will help with that as well. This will be on the beta channel in a day or two and then backported to the next 4.8.X maintenance release next week. Thanks.

Thanks.

Edited by francoisp
  • Thanks 1

viking19

Server 4.9.0.15 appears to have fixed music shuffle/play on Android TV 2.1.10, but I only briefly tested it.

However, it's still broken elsewhere, this is with the web browser on the server PC.

1: Music->Genre->Context Menu->Shuffle or Play : Correct genre with fast playlist creation

2: Music->Genre->Artists->Shuffle or Play : Wrong genres with fast playlist creation

3: Music->Genre->Albums->Shuffle or Play : Correct genre with very slow playlist creation (1.5 minutes), high cpu usage during that time

4: Music->Genre->Songs->Shuffle or Play : Correct genre with slow playlist creation (30 seconds), high cpu usage during that time

On android mobile (latest stable v3.3.77) 1 and 2 are the same but 2 and 3 show high server cpu but eventually don't play at all.

On first install and after one restart it seemed to work correctly, however after another restart it's broken again. I believe I saw this behaviour with 4.8.x which is why I was misled into thinking it was fixed earlier. I'm starting to regret updating to 4.8.

• Solution
5 hours ago, viking19 said:

Server 4.9.0.15 appears to have fixed music shuffle/play on Android TV 2.1.10, but I only briefly tested it.

However, it's still broken elsewhere, this is with the web browser on the server PC.

1: Music->Genre->Context Menu->Shuffle or Play : Correct genre with fast playlist creation

2: Music->Genre->Artists->Shuffle or Play : Wrong genres with fast playlist creation

3: Music->Genre->Albums->Shuffle or Play : Correct genre with very slow playlist creation (1.5 minutes), high cpu usage during that time

4: Music->Genre->Songs->Shuffle or Play : Correct genre with slow playlist creation (30 seconds), high cpu usage during that time

On android mobile (latest stable v3.3.77) 1 and 2 are the same but 2 and 3 show high server cpu but eventually don't play at all.

On first install and after one restart it seemed to work correctly, however after another restart it's broken again. I believe I saw this behaviour with 4.8.x which is why I was misled into thinking it was fixed earlier. I'm starting to regret updating to 4.8.

HI, please let me know if 4.9.0.16 resolves it, once available for your platform. Thanks.

@Luke & @ebr...I am currently on server 4.8.5.0, have both the latest Android and Android TV apps loaded on Hisense Google TV. Neither currently does shuffle music play correctly. I want to revert back to Server 4.7.0.xx which was last known good install of server that was handling shuffle music play correctly.  I do I overwrite server 4.8.5 with older versions and where do we get the older versions of server?

francoisp
1 hour ago, EZEd said:

@Luke & @ebr...I am currently on server 4.8.5.0, have both the latest Android and Android TV apps loaded on Hisense Google TV. Neither currently does shuffle music play correctly. I want to revert back to Server 4.7.0.xx which was last known good install of server that was handling shuffle music play correctly.  I do I overwrite server 4.8.5 with older versions and where do we get the older versions of server?

Try 4.9.0.16. It has solved the shuffle issue for my Google TV Chromecast.