Latest update broke Genre even more

AlHayes

AlHayes

The new additions to the Genre screen look great (except for more steps to get to shuffle). Although now it locks up every time I click/tap shuffle when in song list & I still can not download a genre

Using v4.8.3.0 on Windows 10 64b

Al.

G2J!

Also what do you mean by download a genre?

viking19

You can still shuffle from the genre icon without going to the song list.

I tried from the song list and it took 22 seconds to start playing on a genre with only 66 tracks, from the genre icon it is instant. I don't have 4.8.3 installed to my main collection to test if more tracks would have the same result as you, but something is certainly wrong.

Server 4.8.3 on Firefox 123 (also tried on Edge with the same result)

Music->Genres->Metal: Context menu shuffle instantly plays

Music->Genres->Metal->Songs: I pressed shuffle at time 13:41:00.609 and playback began at time 13:41:22.693

genre song shuffle.txt

jiggity

I am having exceptional delay even displaying the 4.8.3 genre pages; it can take up to 10 seconds to display. I cannot get anything to play from them either

Also using firefox 123

For me it puts emby into a freeze, stuck at like 5% CPU utilization in the docker and nothing happening.  Cannot load any other pages won't load the music, won't load anything. Have to restart the server

Edit to add:
Emby theater has no way to view the songs list in the new genre display

Edited by jiggity

AlHayes

7 minutes ago, jiggity said:

I am having exceptional delay even displaying the 4.8.3 genre pages; it can take up to 10 seconds to display. I cannot get anything to play from them either

Also using firefox 123

For me it puts emby into a freeze, stuck at like 5% CPU utilization in the docker and nothing happening.  Cannot load any other pages won't load the music, won't load anything. Have to restart the server

Edit to add:
Emby theater has no way to view the songs list in the new genre display

Yes, that's almost exactly what happens with mine & I've tried it on both Chrome & Firefox & it's around 24% CPU usage. I also have to use Task Manager to completely shut the server down because the web interface is completely frozen.

1 hour ago, viking19 said:

You can still shuffle from the genre icon without going to the song list.

I tried from the song list and it took 22 seconds to start playing on a genre with only 66 tracks, from the genre icon it is instant. I don't have 4.8.3 installed to my main collection to test if more tracks would have the same result as you, but something is certainly wrong.

Server 4.8.3 on Firefox 123 (also tried on Edge with the same result)

Music->Genres->Metal: Context menu shuffle instantly plays

Music->Genres->Metal->Songs: I pressed shuffle at time 13:41:00.609 and playback began at time 13:41:22.693

genre song shuffle.txt 119.25 kB · 0 downloads

That is true. I keep forgetting to use the "hamburger", the menu option, instead of entering to view before I choose to shuffle.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Also what do you mean by download a genre?

I used to use "download to" & choose my phone to listen to an entire genre while I'm driving. That hasn't been working for the last 2 updates. It just locks up the server.

I've attached the log file:

embyserver.txt

AlHayes

I think that it is trying to work!

I just tried downloading Progressive Rock genre (2022 songs) to my phone. It sat with the download pop-up, attached, for about 5 minutes then the pop-up closed. The web interface let me browse to the Manage Server page & indeed it started downloading the songs. Although the songs that are in the download list are not part of that genre!?

So, even though the genre download only pauses the server for about 5 minutes, it still doesn't work properly...doesn't download the correct songs! Not sure why.

download pop up.jpg

Prog Rock dl.jpg

Prog Rock artist list 3.jpg

Prog Rock artist list 2.jpg

Prog Rock artist list 1.jpg

AlHayes

Here's another example...when I go into a genre (Dubstep) it has the correct song list. Although when I use shuffle from same icon it is a different list!

The same thing happens when I download a genre to my phone. Even though the download queue shows 2022 items in progressive rock, I only have 965 songs in that genre! So it downloads both what I wanted & mostly what I did not ask for!

Any suggestions?

Dubstep shuffle.jpg

Dubstep list.jpg

Prog Rock song list.jpg

embyserver.txt

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, AlHayes said:

Here's another example...when I go into a genre (Dubstep) it has the correct song list. Although when I use shuffle from same icon it is a different list!

Need specifics as I just went to Country then clicked Show all on Songs and it shows 59 items and clicked Shuffle and got those 59 items in a shuffled order.

Just tested Downloading Genre on my tablet downloading Country and got 84 items vs the only 59 in Genre.  Not staying limited to genre and getting other genre albums from artist.

The second album has a genre of Pop but is attached to the download queue. @Luke

image.png.ea5b25f9b93079e942c7653ec336eab5.png

Tremas

Just a stab in the dark (I haven’t tried any of this)… do any of the tracks in the pop album that downloaded have a genre of country? Are any of the pop songs in another playlist with tracks that are country? 

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, Tremas said:

Just a stab in the dark (I haven’t tried any of this)… do any of the tracks in the pop album that downloaded have a genre of country? Are any of the pop songs in another playlist with tracks that are country? 

Well the tracks created the genre and artist.  But guessing here and all artist items are gotten when downloading not limited to specific genre.  As that would explain the number I and OP are seeing.

Since this is only testing media in my example all artists only have one album in that genre but Blake has 2 albums one Country and the other Pop.

But no each track only has one genre.

image.thumb.png.24b9df4add241e0f3492cff9d3e17466.png

AlHayes

Well, when I go to Country then click Show all on Songs and it shows 3952 items and when I click Shuffle and got way too many to count items in a shuffled order. Many do not have Country within their genre tags. 18932 when downloading the same genre (Country) to my phone! I use dbPoweramp to edit & auto organise all of my music.

Country download.jpg

Country song list.jpg

Country shuffle.jpg

AlHayes

I guess some people might like a genre called hardcore country?!

Artist very not country.jpg

AlHayes

I guess there is no fix for this, or could it be similar to the other issues with the album/artist/track image priority that others are experiencing? I've also noticed that some of my embedded images don't show up on Emby. I just turn off all metadata downloaders & image fetchers as I use dbPowerAmp for all of that.

Refreshing metadata now. This will probably take a few hours or a good part of a day. It usually goes up to 90 to 95% pretty quickly then slows down to a crawl.

I will hopefully know tomorrow. I really miss the ability to download a complete genre (without many extra songs) to my phone. This used to work a few version ago.

Al.

G2J!

AlHayes

No, sadly that did not work. Although it did restore my album thumbnails.

I don't know why we are supposed to include the logs when no one looks at them!!! I'll include them again.

Hopefully someone has the correct solution.

Al.

G2J!

Bluegrass dl.jpg

Bluegrass genre.jpg

embyserver.txt

Happy2Play

Don't know exactly what is being synced but my guess it all artists albums no matter their genre that are in the current genre you are syncing as previously mentioned.

POST http://localhost:8096/emby/Sync/Jobs

But only the dev can answer this download issue.

AlHayes
On 3/8/2024 at 11:22 PM, Happy2Play said:

Don't know exactly what is being synced but my guess it all artists albums no matter their genre that are in the current genre you are syncing as previously mentioned.

POST http://localhost:8096/emby/Sync/Jobs

But only the dev can answer this download issue.

That would probably be the real time monitoring sync (to check if any new songs were added) as far as I know since the entry in the log is vague. Thank you for being the only person to actually download & look at the logs!

I just noticed that it's NOT just a download issue! I just put 1 genre on shuffle from the genre screen & many more songs that are not in that genre are in the play queue. Using TV computer that is on my local network. Same thing happens when playing from same computer that has the server on it. Picture & log attached:

Big Band shuffle play queue.jpg

Big Band song list.jpg

Big Band artist list.jpg

Big Band album list.jpg

Big Band direct shuffle.jpg

embyserver.txt

Happy2Play
18 minutes ago, AlHayes said:

That would probably be the real time monitoring sync (to check if any new songs were added) as far as I know since the entry in the log is vague. Thank you for being the only person to actually download & look at the logs!

I just noticed that it's NOT just a download issue! I just put 1 genre on shuffle from the genre screen & many more songs that are not in that genre are in the play queue. Using TV computer that is on my local network. Same thing happens when playing from same computer that has the server on it. Picture & log attached:

Big Band shuffle play queue.jpg

Big Band song list.jpg

Big Band artist list.jpg

Big Band album list.jpg

Big Band direct shuffle.jpg

embyserver.txt 2.15 MB · 0 downloads

Yes from the Genre card and shuffle I get a different amount of track as Artist adds additional none genre albums but if I enter Genre then expand on Songs (header title or See all) and Shuffle I get just that Genre.

AlHayes
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes from the Genre card and shuffle I get a different amount of track as Artist adds additional none genre albums but if I enter Genre then expand on Songs (header title or See all) and Shuffle I get just that Genre.

That is frustrating that when the update added the extra categories within genre it broke the download only 1 genre option. When I do the same & go all the way down to the song list within a genre there is no longer a download or download to option like there used to be! Yes, you can play, shuffle, sort, filter, & change the view, but you can not download anymore. That was a great feature that I used all the time. I guess when you add something you take away something else...sounds like the government! LOL

If someone wants to play or download just 1 genre then that should be what happens!

@LukeIs there going to be another update soon to fix what was taken away with the latest update?

Al.

G2J!

viking19

@AlHayes You can still download from the genre artist, album or song list but you have to use multi select then open the top menu for the download option.

With server 4.8.3 or 4.9.0.9 through the browser I'm not seeing genre Shuffle or Play with tracks from other genres, I do get a huge delay depending on how I choose to shuffle or play a genre.

Music->Genre->Context Menu->Shuffle or Play : Instant

Music->Genre->Artists->Shuffle or Play : Instant

Music->Genre->Albums->Shuffle or Play : 5 second delay

Music->Genre->Songs->Shuffle or Play : 20 second delay

This is on a test server with 7 genres (5 or 6 albums per genre) (60 and 150 tracks per genre), but I saw this on another PC/server as well. I already supplied debug logs.

AlHayes
5 hours ago, viking19 said:

@AlHayes You can still download from the genre artist, album or song list but you have to use multi select then open the top menu for the download option.

With server 4.8.3 or 4.9.0.9 through the browser I'm not seeing genre Shuffle or Play with tracks from other genres, I do get a huge delay depending on how I choose to shuffle or play a genre.

Music->Genre->Context Menu->Shuffle or Play : Instant

Music->Genre->Artists->Shuffle or Play : Instant

Music->Genre->Albums->Shuffle or Play : 5 second delay

Music->Genre->Songs->Shuffle or Play : 20 second delay

This is on a test server with 7 genres (5 or 6 albums per genre) (60 and 150 tracks per genre), but I saw this on another PC/server as well. I already supplied debug logs.

Thank you. Yes, I could do that, using multi select, although there is no select all. That would take a loooooong time to individually select every song & when I add more music to the database it wouldn't automatically transfer/download them to my phone. I would have to figure out the songs that I haven't selected before, then select those & download them. Also, this used to work properly before to useless subcategories were added to genre windows.

@LukeIt used to be so simple:

Music / Genre / Download to... / select device : Emby would download all & only those songs that were in that genre! Very simple & it worked properly!!!

Al.

G2J!

visproduction

Just a guess.  There are shuffle bugs and saving mix list issues in the code.  I think clicking options or buttons are not going to fix this.  It needs a bug review.  Sometimes just bug testing simple list shuffles is not enough.  It needs to be stress tested.  Approaches to shuffle code are widely discussed.  Here is a good breakdown of javascript options.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2450954/how-to-randomize-shuffle-a-javascript-array

Maybe something to do with list.js.  Setting up shuffle seems to use a lot of nested parentItem variables.  Did someone test when each list in the 'if' queries actually adds some items to the array (shuffle list).  Or was this code just tested with just a few items to shuffle? Does it return !1 before all lookups are done?  Can it get caught in a loop?  Maybe stress testing this code will show the bug. 

Edited by visproduction

AlHayes
19 minutes ago, visproduction said:

Just a guess.  There are shuffle bugs and saving mix list issues in the code.  I think clicking options or buttons are not going to fix this.  It needs a bug review.  Sometimes just bug testing simple list shuffles is not enough.  It needs to be stress tested.  Approaches to shuffle code are widely discussed.  Here is a good breakdown of javascript options.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2450954/how-to-randomize-shuffle-a-javascript-array

Yes, thank you @visproduction, that is the problem worded differently. I know that there is nothing that I can click or tap to get this to work properly. It worked properly before the update (v4.8.3.0) that did the "Redesign music genre screen". In reality it should have been tested before it was made public. I don't know why anyone would use the genre download option the way it is...that is NOT genre specific! To include all music from any artist that has even 1 song in a genre within that genre's shuffle/download is completely ridiculous/ludicrous!

@LukeIs there anyway to go back to v4.8.1.0? As far as I can tell, that build worked!

Also @visproduction, I completely understand the principles of "shuffle" & that it is rarely if ever the same as a true randomization. To be completely random then there has to be a reset after every item. So there would be the possibility of the same song being played again when it come to music playback. Not many people would like that. Although that is what it should do.

Now, the main point & issue that I have with this latest build is concerning downloading a genre, & only the songs that belong in that genre. That can not be done anymore!

21 hours ago, AlHayes said:

Music / Genre / Download to... / select device : Emby would download all & only those songs that were in that genre! Very simple & it worked properly!!!

@LukePlease fix this!

Al.

G2J!

viking19

You can go back. Shut down Emby then open \AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server and you will see system.old, that should be 4.8.1. Just rename system folder to something else and delete the .old from system.old then start Emby. Immediately uncheck automatic updates and save settings then open \AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata and delete the updates folder, now it will be safe to restart Emby without it forcing 4.8.3.