Emby Theater jerky playback 4K video.

marriedman

generiq

@marriedman the post you've marked as the solution is incorrect. I'm pretty sure it falls back to software decoding when you get smooth playback. There is something wrong here.

marriedman
6 minutes ago, generiq said:

@marriedman the post you've marked as the solution is incorrect. I'm pretty sure it falls back to software decoding when you get smooth playback. There is something wrong here.

I can unmark it and wait to see what Luke has to say.

alucryd

Sorry folks, I'm clueless when it comes to windows, but I can at least confirm it's not using gpu-next according to the provided screenshot. There must be some kind of error making it fall back to the libmpv (software) renderer.

On Linux I would add `log-file=/path/to/log` to my mpv.conf to get some information about what's going on, should work on windows as well, here you can find where mpv.conf is located: https://mpv.io/manual/master/#files-on-windows

marriedman
1 minute ago, alucryd said:

Sorry folks, I'm clueless when it comes to windows

Just as info - I'm on Linux. I'll look into a mpv log sometime soon. Busy with family stuff currently. 

Sorry about brief reply, I hate using my phone. 

alucryd
2 hours ago, marriedman said:

Just as info - I'm on Linux. I'll look into a mpv log sometime soon. Busy with family stuff currently. 

Sorry about brief reply, I hate using my phone. 

Sorry, saw some Windows screenshots and saw you mention Windows so I assumed. Well then, if you scroll up on the link I posted you'll also find the Linux locations. Logs should tell you why gpu-next won't load.

• Like 1

marriedman
20 hours ago, alucryd said:

On Linux I would add `log-file=/path/to/log` to my mpv.conf to get some information about what's going on

I run Manjaro and according to the Arch wiki, there is no mpv.conf by default. If a user wants to deviate from the default options, then they can copy the template into ~/.config:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/mpv#Configuration

The provided template is completely commented out so there should be no conflicts. I added the following to the end of the template they provide:

log-file=~~/log

I set the video settings on Emby Theater to gpu-next and hardware acceleration Auto as per generiq preference and question. I let it play for until about 1,000 frames dropped. I saved a copy of the log file and have attached it. I think it is saying there is something wrong with a VAAPI driver, but honestly I could be way off.

Hope this is informative and helps someone!

mpv log 2023-04-07.txt

generiq

There is no mention of gpu-next in the log. This would appear to confirm my suspicion - it isn't being applied. 

Either it isn't scripted correctly, or the mpv build isn't correct.

@alucryd @Luke

21 hours ago, generiq said:

There is no mention of gpu-next in the log. This would appear to confirm my suspicion - it isn't being applied. 

Either it isn't scripted correctly, or the mpv build isn't correct.

@alucryd @Luke

Hi, we’ll take a look at it. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...