Emby Theater jerky playback 4K video.

marriedman

GrimReaper

@marriedmanIn order to hopefully gain some more insight and clarification on above, could you:

1. Run "Rotate log file" scheduled task

2. Play an item in ET

3. Play same item in browser

4. Play same item on Firestick

5. Provide embyserver log and x ffmpeg logs created. 

• Like 1

marriedman
4 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

@marriedmanIn order to hopefully gain some more insight and clarification...

lol, I totally understand this sentiment. Everyone here seems far more knowledgeable than I am regarding this stuff. I tried reading the logs, but honestly they don't mean much to me. I have uploaded these newest to oldest. I hope they appear that way once attached.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-f661e0f4-666f-454c-a4f2-fe7b861f9938_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-1ddf8ee7-5cd7-4a51-854e-7d7ee5d9f4ed_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-cd1e6a47-1292-4cd2-9a81-b38ab25ff40b_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-dbef42c9-61ab-4b9c-ae74-a46ae1e8b8ba_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-f7486d8b-a62b-4dc1-8ed1-20e56f1db78c_1.txt embyserver-63815345748.txt

GrimReaper

OK, few things are more clear now, quick summary:

1. @rbjtechwas right, your server is way underpowered to transcode that content in real time, Atom simply isn't up to the task

2. Your ET is DirectPlaying, do you still see jerky playback? Have you compared it against Theater Store? 

3. Your browser needs full transcode (as it's 4K HDR10 item) - no server muscle; Have you compared it against MS Edge with HEVC extension installed? 

4. Your Firestick is only remuxing audio - relatively low-cost CPU task hence your server can keep up and you're seeing smooth playback. 

Do tests as above, see what gives. 

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
12 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

3. Your browser needs full transcode (as it's 4K HDR10 item) - no server muscle; Have you compared it against MS Edge with HEVC extension installed? 

To add, unless your PC Monitors are HDR - even if you manage to Direct Play in the browser (with Edge etc) then it's going to look very dull and colourless - because you are attempting to display HDR on an SDR screen.  Tone mapping 'could' deal with this, but you don't have the hardware to do this.

I think maybe you just need to manage your expectations on what is 'technically' possible with 4K -  and unless you have either ..

a) the end clients to natively (direct) play it or

b) powerful enough server hardware to transcode it

.. then I'd suggest you probably should stick with 1080p SDR material.

• Agree 1

marriedman
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

OK, few things are more clear now, quick summary:

1. @rbjtechwas right, your server is way underpowered to transcode that content in real time, Atom simply isn't up to the task

2. Your ET is DirectPlaying, do you still see jerky playback? Have you compared it against Theater Store?

I just double checked, the TS-451+ has a Celeron J1900 4-core/4-thread processor. Why would emby server think it is an Atom?

Also, what is Theater Store? Previously when people mentioned Edge browser, I assumed they were talking about the version for Linux. Now that I have looked up Theater Store, I think you are talking about Windows specific troubleshooting.  I have no Windows machines. I posted in this section because they have general questions lumped in with Windows. Looking back, I guess I never specified I only have access to Linux machines.

Should I have posted this thread elsewhere instead of General?

marriedman

Actually, I think I can answer my own question regarding emby thinking I have an Atom. The only options for transcoding are 

• Nvidia NVDEC & NVENC

• VA API

• Intel QuickSync Video

There is no Nvidia card & processor is too old to have QuickSync, that only leaves VAAPI. So that much makes sense I guess.

GrimReaper
14 minutes ago, marriedman said:

Why would emby server think it is an Atom?

Dunno, as that's what Emby's reporting:

>>>>>>  Hardware Encoders for h264
        [X] VAAPI Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics - H.264 (AVC)
>>>>>>  Selected Codecs
Decoder Automatic software decoder

Encoder VAAPI Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics - H.264 (AVC)
        Adapter #0: 'Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics' Id:3889 (Driver: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) Bay Trail - 2.4.1, Vendor: Intel Corporation)
        Max Bitrate: 234 Mbit/s - Frame Sizes: 32x32...4096x4096
        Color Formats: NV12, YUV420P - Bit Depths: 8
        Profiles: Constrained Baseline Profile (Level 6), Main Profile (Level 6), High Profile (Level 6)

>>>>>>  FindVideoEncoder - MediaType: h264, UseHardwareCodecs: True, HWA-Mode: Automatic
Info    Checking: 'VAAPI Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics - H.264 (AVC)'
Info    Check successful - selecting 'VAAPI Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics - H.264 (AVC)'

>>>>>>  FindVideoDecoder - MediaType: hevc, UseHardwareCodecs: True, HWA-Mode: Automatic
Info    Checking: 'Automatic software decoder'
Info    Check successful - selecting 'Automatic software decoder'

Some fellow Linux user might jump in. @Q-Droid

Also, what is Theater Store? Previously when people mentioned Edge browser, I assumed they were talking about the version for Linux. Now that I have looked up Theater Store, I think you are talking about Windows specific troubleshooting.  I have no Windows machines. I posted in this section because they have general questions lumped in with Windows.

Yep, Windows Store version. 

Looking back, I guess I never specified I only have access to Linux machines.

Nope, you didn't, and since you've posted in General/Windows, everyone assumed you're on Windows, as Linux has own forum section. 

Should I have posted this thread elsewhere instead of General?

I'll move your thread. 

Edited by GrimReaper

marriedman

Good find @Happy2Play. I think this will all be solved once I get a few more paychecks under my belt. On of my i5 machines I built to be a replacement server for my aging QNAP. I just need some hard drives now.

Regardless of the server, my i5 Emby Theater clients should be able to play these things direct though, right?

marriedman
4 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

since you've posted in General/Windows, everyone assumed you're on Windows, as Linux has own forum section. 

I'll move your thread. 

I can't edit my original post to clarify for future viewers. Will that be an issue?

Edited by marriedman

GrimReaper
Just now, marriedman said:

I can't edit my original post to clarify for future viewers. Will that be an issue?

No need, it's OK. 

Q-Droid

Sorry, I run Linux server headless.

I've never used Emby Theather. Can it direct play and convert HDR to SDR on the client? I guess this means the client itself would need to be able to handle this workload? If so then an i5 desktop should do it unless older than Kaby Lake (7th gen).

rbjtech
7 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

I've never used Emby Theather. Can it direct play and convert HDR to SDR on the client? 

I don't use it myself - but I would say yes it does - this is ET running on my SDR monitor and those colours look good to me.

image.thumb.png.822a5f2a990fe9277d20aaf223c7ff71.png

rbjtech

Actually - a follow up on this.

I let this play for a bit - it's hardly stellar playback - it's not reporting dropped frames, but it's pausing all over the place.  It's really poor if I force the audio to transcode (THD to AC3 for example) - it pauses wherever there is a network request.

Hmm - perhaps it is ET on Windows ... 

As I said, I don't use it - but worth investigating as my old i7-6700K/GTX 1070 should have zero issues playing this smoothly ..

I'll do a bit more digging.

@GrimReaperdo you use ET on Windows ?

Edited by rbjtech

marriedman
24 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

That's my plan. My latest build is running ubuntu server with webmin and emby and nothing else. I had planned on creating a massive RAID pool for this server and move everything over to it then sell my old store bought servers. I currently have 2 synology and the QNAP. I figure I can recoup some money that way. 

I think I am going to go ahead and deploy my server build and just mount the QNAP as SMB shares. 

rbjtech

The plot thickens ..

Thought I'd re-download a new version of ET for Windows.

This now looks totally different ... what on earth was I using before ?  Are there multiple versions of ET for Windows ?

Stats for Nerds is totally different ..

Playback is a LOT better (using libmpv by the looks of it)

And if playing THD - it now plays Direct (using wasapi)

So question to @marriedman- does your screen look like this (if using Stats for Nerds ?)

image.thumb.png.67162cac03ba16d8fda66635d49264e8.png

Edited by rbjtech

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Are there multiple versions of ET for Windows ?

No but you may have been stuck on an older version.  Your log should show it as current is 3.0.19.

• Thanks 1

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Stats for Nerds is totally different ..

At least now you know that Aspect Ratio to the 16th decimal - that's bound to come in handy... eventually. 🤭

• Haha 1

rbjtech
14 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

No but you may have been stuck on an older version.  Your log should show it as current is 3.0.19.

Ahha - the version I originally had was 'Emby for Windows' v 1.1.472.0

This was the 'App' version from the MS Store (for Win 10 and Xbox).

It's er... not very good. ☺️

The 'Desktop' App is far superior - Emby Theater - Emby

I'm thinking if this is the version the OP is using - then it may be why it's performance is poor ?

• Like 1

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

I'm thinking if this is the version the OP is using - then it may be why it's performance is poor ?

Nope, OP is on Linux, only Theater Desktop there, no store version. 

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Nope, OP is on Linux, only Theater Desktop there, no store version. 

Right - makes sense.  Thanks.

marriedman
43 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

So question to @marriedman- does your screen look like this (if using Stats for Nerds ?)

image.thumb.png.67162cac03ba16d8fda66635d49264e8.png

Yep, ET Stats for Nerds looks just like that on my desktops. Well, except for the pig of course!

• Haha 1

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, marriedman said:

Yep, ET Stats for Nerds looks just like that on my desktops. Well, except for the pig of course!

ok - that's good - sorry to derail this thread with my ET findings - I must have installed that years ago lol.

Can you do a couple of screen captures of your 4K films - 1 where it's playing ok, and the other where there are issues ?

I think we have ascertained it's your server - but the ET Client seems pretty difficult to trip up and natively is playing everything I have thrown at it ... so I'm curious what is causing it to transcode ... (short of forcing it in the quality option).