Not working on new Chromecast with Google TV (Android 12 OS)

tjlejeune
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

19 minutes ago, Distanasia said:

After Android TV update 4K content is not recognized anymore, the TV runs with the HD setting (1080p). Anyone else with this problem? Thanks!

Hi.  What makes you think that?

mrmorrison
2 hours ago, FredrikT said:

Mine is different. Only for some h264 the video freezes every other second. Audio is fine. Both with direct stream and transcoding. Logs on the server seems fine.

Excuse me, maybe I explained myself badly. Me too h264 videos skip every second.

• Like 1

bigw00kie

This is still an ongoing issue that only forcing transcoding makes the playback of H264 videos work. The sound always seems to be fine, I have opened a case with google on the Chromecast 4k Google TV as I have experienced the same issue on Plex.

• Thanks 2

bigw00kie
On 31/10/2022 at 16:00, FredrikT said:

Power Cycle didn't work. Still can't play back mkvs. I'll try to look into if it affects all mkvs or just some. The same files works from my Android 13 phone though.

I factory reset and did everything google told me to do and still the problem exists with dropped frame playback with perfect sound. It certainly does look like a codec issue.

• Agree 1

Distanasia
On 11/2/2022 at 12:21 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  What makes you think that?

Before the update, with HDR content, the TV (webOS LG) automatically recognized the content and switch to HDR settings. Now it is playing 4K content with HD picture setting (1080p). Thanks!

3 hours ago, Distanasia said:

Before the update, with HDR content, the TV (webOS LG) automatically recognized the content and switch to HDR settings. Now it is playing 4K content with HD picture setting (1080p). Thanks!

Are you playing on the TV or with a CC device?  In any case, please open a new topic in the appropriate area and provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

CharlieMurphy

I'm having to power cycle my CCwGTV4k (omg that's a horrible name) daily to play live TV on Emby since the update. Next time it borks itself should I submit client logs from the Android TV app and make a thread? When it happens, Android TV nor the regular Android beta app will play a channel until I reboot it. Could the two apps conflict? If so I could remove one or the other to confirm.

If it's a problem that Google has to fix, we are probably screwed. It took over 6 months for them to get HEVC working without crashing and rebooting the device after every video. https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/issues/9232

mikeraburn

That stinks

I have had zero issues with Live TV or EmbyDVR since OS update and the Emby Update pushed through Google Play.

I also had zero issues with Live TV and EmbyDVR with the sideloaded beta.

CCWGTV4k also.

I wonder what our differences are.

----- My CCWGTV4k is directly plugged in HDMI port on 2ea TVa I do use a vizo 5.1 on one TV and a old 2.0 soundbar on another. No AVR

Edited by mikeraburn
added info

CharlieMurphy

Connected to an old Vizio with an LG 2.1 soundbar, via optical cable. Nobody else I know on CCwGTV has complained yet though, and I think they would if theirs were needing this much attention.

Edited by CharlieMurphy

Distanasia
On 11/3/2022 at 3:44 PM, ebr said:

Are you playing on the TV or with a CC device?  In any case, please open a new topic in the appropriate area and provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

On TV and with CCwGTV (4K), same problem. Ok, I'll do that. thanks!

knitowskimedia
On 11/3/2022 at 10:07 AM, bigw00kie said:

This is still an ongoing issue that only forcing transcoding makes the playback of H264 videos work. The sound always seems to be fine, I have opened a case with google on the Chromecast 4k Google TV as I have experienced the same issue on Plex.

I'm having the same issue. For me it only effects files that are either a raw blu-ray rip, or have been remuxed with mkvtoolnix. If i've transcoded the file (still H264 mind you) it plays back fine. 4k rips/remuxes playback fine.

daschmee12

I was having issues playing all video media in Emby last night on my CCWGTV4K. Couldn't play any tv show or movie using the CC app, no matter the resolution, codec, file size, container, dynamic range(HDR10/HLG/DOLBY VISION) or just regular old 720/1080p content. I know it wasn't my server because it worked just fine on the LG TV Emby app.  HOWEVER, for whatever reason, I've noticed that the LG TV Emby app doesn't recognize a lot of TV Shows from BBC, Sky and iTV as being HLG HDR content, which is why I prefer to use the Chromecast app for Emby vs the Emby app on my LG C1 OLED(which def supports HLG HDR)  The CC app has always played the HLG HDR content correctly, and also has the playback correction feature for those rare cases when something doesn't play correctly. 

Force closed app, cleared app data, but CCWGTV4K app would just show a black screen with spinning blue loading circle when I tried to play any kind of video... and when I hit the back button on the Chromecast remote, the whole Emby app/interface was frozen after every attempt at playing a video. Finally restarted my CCWGTV 4k and everything started working again, so hopefully this was just a weird one off type situation...but if issue persists, I will def update on one of the appropriate Emby help forums. And I'd just like to say that regardless of some of the recent CCWGTV troubles, Emby support/admins are always great, and very responsive on the help forums. They even helped me configure the port forwarding, which is not very user intuitive on my FiOS router, way back when I first switched to Verizon as my ISP. So thanks Emby team! I will never switch back to Plex! 

Edited by daschmee12
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

CharlieMurphy
On 11/11/2022 at 10:25 PM, daschmee12 said:

Finally restarted my CCWGTV 4k and everything started working again, so hopefully this was just a weird one off type situation...

If this persists, it's worth manually selecting the supported codecs in the CCwGTV settings. It defaults to auto and on my TV it had enabled only Dolby Digital, which is the correct guess. However, switching it to manual and selecting DD myself have kept me from having to power cycle the CCwGTV just as you had to.
Something is still wonky with Emby since the update though, even with this setting it's less stable than it was on Android 10. It could be the device.

• Thanks 1

CharlieMurphy

Speaking for mine, when the ATV app would refuse to play, the standard Emby Android would then also refuse. Force close of Emby didn't correct it but a power-cycle worked 100%.

I never started with the standard Emby Android app though bc the guide is still too hard to use there with a remote. Setting my audio codecs manually helped but it's still not as stable as it was. Channels will occasionally take a long time to play or just won't, backing to guide and trying again they usually work normally.

It's not just Emby though, the other day I was seeking in small increments in another app and it crashed to the home screen and restarted the app. That hadn't been happening before the update.

EDIT: I'll try to test the standard Emby Android app more to see if the occasional channel playing issue is also there.

Edited by CharlieMurphy

• 2 weeks later...
bigw00kie

Hi all, I have had a case open with google who have said they have fixed it internally. They are testing and will send me a fix to try out. The latest update that was release in the last few days does not resolve it.

So I look forward to them sending me an update, will keep this forum posted.

• Thanks 2

mikeraburn

I am amazed that this is still an issue with people.

After the EMBY update Google finally pushed to us I have had zero issues.

I cringed when I did the latest CCWGTV update this past week but it seems to be ok.

Also, I did pick up an insurance package on Black Friday

A Roku Streaming 4K Stick for $25.00

On 10/5/2022 at 9:36 PM, ebr said:

Thanks.  I've got a device coming and we'll figure out what the issue is.

Me too. I should have a 4K version delivered tomorrow or Tuesday.

CharlieMurphy

That's great to hear. Since the recent update I'm getting "resolution not supported" every couple days when I turn on my TV now. It's getting power cycled so often anyway that the previous Emby issues are hard to judge now.

Honestly it's kind of a POS now, but at least it doesn't lock all my tuners and fill my hard drives (Roku). I can live with unplugging it, it's USB-C so I dont even have to look.

Edited by CharlieMurphy

• 3 weeks later...
fanobem169
On 12/1/2022 at 5:00 PM, bigw00kie said:

Hi all, I have had a case open with google who have said they have fixed it internally. They are testing and will send me a fix to try out. The latest update that was release in the last few days does not resolve it.

It's been a while now. Have you heard anything from Google regarding the fix?

• 1 month later...
firered299
On 12/23/2022 at 9:22 PM, fanobem169 said:

It's been a while now. Have you heard anything from Google regarding the fix?

+1  @fanobem169

On 12/1/2022 at 5:00 PM, bigw00kie said:

@bigw00kie I have updated to the newest CCWGTV 4K update, version STTE.220920.016.H1 (https://9to5google.com/2023/01/31/chromecast-google-tv-update-2023/) but I am still experiencing the same bug. Have Google sent you out a fix to try, or did you get the same version that is now public?

bigw00kie

This issue is still not fixed, I have tried the latest firmware upgrade released over the last few days and the problem remains.

I am still following up with google, this is a shambles and a shame for such a big issue on an expensive device which has been sitting on my desk since the firmware upgrade to Android 12.

So sorry nothing more to report other than it's still an issue.

bigw00kie
On 04/12/2022 at 23:32, cayars said:

Me too. I should have a 4K version delivered tomorrow or Tuesday.

Have you tested and seen any issues?