Not working on new Chromecast with Google TV (Android 12 OS)

tjlejeune
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

29 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

This looks to have solved the problem. Thanks!

it worked for me only once. 2nd time I saw black screen again

6 hours ago, CharlieMurphy said:

is there any way we can get the fix to the app store immediately?

4 hours ago, wordlover said:

I am disappointed by the modest intensity of attention the Emby team seems to be paying to this

Hi.  We are doing everything we can but we are at the mercy of Google here.  The changes have been submitted (for a while now, actually).

We have provided two solutions that can be side-loaded immediately.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

wordlover

But the Android client device app (which isn't the same as the Android TV app, as I was chastised for hear above) still doesn't work, even the beta version.

1 minute ago, wordlover said:

But the Android client device app (which isn't the same as the Android TV app, as I was chastised for hear above) still doesn't work, even the beta version.

Hi.  You are talking about casting to the device, not using our app, correct?

wordlover

I am using EMBY APP on my ANDROID PHONE and on my ANDROID TABLET to try to cast video to my Samsung TV via Google Chromecast HD dongle that is connected to the TV via HDMI. Nothing but black screen when I try to start a Chromecast connection from the Emby App to the dongle. I get the same problem as folks above when I fire up the Emby Android TV App that's ON the Google device.

mikeraburn
20 hours ago, Curtman said:

The easiest way I found was to download an app called "Send files to TV" on the chromecast as well as on my phone.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yablio.sendfilestotv

I downloaded the zip file mentioned above on my computer:

extracted it, saved the apk file inside that on Google Drive, then I downloaded the apk on my phone from Google Drive, and used the Send files to TV app to send it to the chromecast.  From within the send files app, arrow down to the file once its received and click.  it will get you to give permission to it to open apps, then it will get you to turn on the ability to install apps from untrusted sources.  Then you can update Emby to the beta version which will open.

You the man!

Took me a couple of tries but I prevailed!

Thank you AGAIN!

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, wordlover said:

I am using EMBY APP on my ANDROID PHONE and on my ANDROID TABLET to try to cast video to my Samsung TV via Google Chromecast HD dongle that is connected to the TV via HDMI. Nothing but black screen when I try to start a Chromecast connection from the Emby App to the dongle. I get the same problem as folks above when I fire up the Emby Android TV App that's ON the Google device.

Can you show us a screenshot of exactly what you click on to start the casting?  Thanks.

wordlover
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Can you show us a screenshot of exactly what you click on to start the casting?  Thanks.

The same Chromecast icon I press as ever, which works properly to connect with my old dongle:

Screenshot_20221019-073304.thumb.png.9597656e0ca2d7309531b8b1988dd8d1.png

wordlover
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Right, but after you click that, you get a menu, exactly what do you click on in that menu?

Ah, I get a list of all my devices. See attached. The first one is the new HD (Chromecast 2) - if I click that I get round, rotating 'loading' symbol on app, and TV screen goes black, until it fails to connect and times out - TV returns to its Chromecast home screen and Emby app on my phone returns to the episode screen as posted above.

Screenshot_20221019-075000.thumb.png.f5aa8f2d11d6e4e2cb6cb871e12e3248.png

mikeraburn

I just tried mine also. 

Beta is sideloaded on my Chromecast with Google TV 4K

It did the same as he is describing 

I accidentally cast to my JBL device that has a screen and there I got at least an EMBY logo.

I have Emby Premier also

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, wordlover said:

Ah, I get a list of all my devices. See attached. The first one is the new HD (Chromecast 2) - if I click that I get round, rotating 'loading' symbol on app, and TV screen goes black, until it fails to connect and times out - TV returns to its Chromecast home screen and Emby app on my phone returns to the episode screen as posted above.

Thanks.  Just wanted to confirm you were casting to the actual CC and not the app.

CharlieMurphy

I don't use the cast function but I just tested with the beta app on CCwGTV4k and it doesn't work for me either. As you suggest, it has an option to cast to 'Chromecast,' 'Emby for Android,' 'AndroidTV' and none seem to work.

Versions installed:

2.0.83g

CharlieMurphy

Quick question about sideloading the beta as a solution for this. If Emby was installed through the Play Store, and then we sideload the beta as a fix, what happens when the Play Store gets the fixed version? Will Play Store install the update and move us back to the stable release channel? I looked in Play Store and when I pull up Emby I only see options to open or uninstall. How do I get the Play Store to take over again when it's ready?

Edited by CharlieMurphy

33 minutes ago, CharlieMurphy said:

Quick question about sideloading the beta as a solution for this. If Emby was installed through the Play Store, and then we sideload the beta as a fix, what happens when the Play Store gets the fixed version? Will Play Store install the update and move us back to the stable release channel? I looked in Play Store and when I pull up Emby I only see options to open or uninstall. How do I get the Play Store to take over again when it's ready?

The play store update will take over automatically when it has a higher version number so there's nothing you need to do.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Zageyiff said:

Will the latest beta version work with the unlock in-app purchase?

Yes

• Thanks 1

mikeraburn
21 minutes ago, bestdeal001 said:

Hope the solution for this without sideloading arrives soon. 

They are wating on GOOGLE to push the app out.

You may want to sideload.

It's easy, even I did it.

9 hours ago, CharlieMurphy said:

it has an option to cast to 'Chromecast,' 'Emby for Android,' 'AndroidTV' and none seem to work.

I just tested casting to the actual Android TV app on that new CC HD device and it worked fine for me.  Casting to the actual CC part of the device does not work but be sure you have the latest beta of the Android TV app because that should work with casting and normal playback.

daschmee12

I have the 4k CCWGTV that just received the Androids 12 update and also encounter a black screen when attempting to launch Emby.