Not working on new Chromecast with Google TV (Android 12 OS)

tjlejeune
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

pünktchen
2 hours ago, wordlover said:

For those of us who are not tech pros, which Emby 'app' is the problem - server (I use Windows version), Android app, or TV app (is that even needed on a Chromecast dongle)?

You are just in the wrong thread as this about Chromecast with Google TV (Android OS) not about casting.

@Happy2Play please change the thread title to make it clear.

9 hours ago, wordlover said:

Open Emby Android app on Pixel 5 phone, press Chromecast logo, and the TV (correctly running Chromecast HD) switches to black screen, never gets to Emby, same as before.

Exact same setup and steps work fine at loading and playing from Emby using old Chromecast device.

Okay, that is a different issue than what is reported in this thread.  This thread is an issue with our actual app on the device as opposed to using the CC functionality of it.  There is a separate thread somewhere with the casting issue from the mobile app.

3 hours ago, McChen said:

Is it possible to release the beta versions using the google play store beta program feature?

Unfortunately, it is not that simple.  Google has been glacially slow releasing our updates lately but we're trying.

mikeraburn

So my "old" device hoarding has paid off!

I'll be using my "old" Roku Ultras until Google releases updates that the EMBY gurus cook up.

lightsout

I also just took the update on my 4k Chromecast and Emby TV is just a black screen, I am enrolled in the beta through the play store.

Edit, beta loaded, back up and running.

Edited by lightsout

12 hours ago, mikeraburn said:

Where are current directions on side loading on the Chromecast with Google TV?

My searches on the internet come up with so many, so different, so out of date directions.

The easiest way I found was to download an app called "Send files to TV" on the chromecast as well as on my phone.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yablio.sendfilestotv

I downloaded the zip file mentioned above on my computer:

extracted it, saved the apk file inside that on Google Drive, then I downloaded the apk on my phone from Google Drive, and used the Send files to TV app to send it to the chromecast.  From within the send files app, arrow down to the file once its received and click.  it will get you to give permission to it to open apps, then it will get you to turn on the ability to install apps from untrusted sources.  Then you can update Emby to the beta version which will open.

• Thanks 1

mikeraburn
13 minutes ago, Curtman said:

The easiest way I found was to download an app called "Send files to TV" on the chromecast as well as on my phone.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yablio.sendfilestotv

I downloaded the zip file mentioned above on my computer:

extracted it, saved the apk file inside that on Google Drive, then I downloaded the apk on my phone from Google Drive, and used the Send files to TV app to send it to the chromecast.  From within the send files app, arrow down to the file once its received and click.  it will get you to give permission to it to open apps, then it will get you to turn on the ability to install apps from untrusted sources.  Then you can update Emby to the beta version which will open.

Thank you!

After updating my Chromecast w/Google TV 4K device to Android 12 this morning, my Emby Android TV application (Version 2.0.79) displays a black screen upon opening.  In reading through the forums, I have tried joining the beta program and installed version 2.0.80g of the Emby Android TV app.  This resulted in the same black screen issue upon opening.  

I've also tried sideloading the latest Emby Android app to my Chromecast which installs successfully but brings playback issues along with it.  My content crashes within the first few seconds of playback.  So I uninstalled it.  

Is the beta version 2.0.83g APK file available to sideload?  I have seen the release notes which mention it provides Android 12 fixes, but can't find that APK file.  The beta program update through the Play Store does not seem to be up to that version as of yet.

Any guidance/tips you can provide are greatly appreciated.  I will use the SamsungTV version of the app in the meantime.

1 hour ago, kml1906 said:

Is the beta version 2.0.83g APK file available to sideload? 

Hi.  The latest beta is always here:

Hi, I'm also having issues after my Google TV updated to Android 12. I use my emby app on my android phone to chromecast to the Google TV, but it no longer seems to work - just a black screen. 

Any assistance appreciated

Edit: will try the beta link above

Edited by markpud

Soooo.. the beta app doesn't work without emby premiere, whereas the regular android app does! Sneaky... I have been thinking about Premiere as I like to support awesome apps but now I can't test if the beta update fixes my problems so I don't know if paying will deliver for me. Emby in Chrome on PC also cannot connect/play on my Google TV right now :(

Will play more after work, quite possible I installed the wrong beta app

Edited by markpud
  • Thanks 1

CharlieMurphy

Same issue for me, @markpud . I have premier though so I will test the beta right now and report back.

Edited by CharlieMurphy
  • Like 1

CharlieMurphy

2.0.83 is good for me.

@ebris there any way we can get the fix to the app store immediately? As the Android 12 update pushes to these devices, these posts will start flooding in I think.

EDIT: I see from the other thread that Play Store is slow. That's a shame. Roku is terrible and this makes it feel like we have no escape from these horrible ecosystems. It makes me want to mess with rpi more.

Edited by CharlieMurphy
  • Like 1

Also note, I had this problem with the new Chromecast HD, and then yesterday my 2 year old Chromecast 4K updated to Android 12, which broke Emby on that one.

wordlover

I am disappointed by the modest intensity of attention the Emby team seems to be paying to this. I assume it's much the same code base running on the Android and Android TV apps, and both aren't working with the latest Chromecast device and software. Meanwhile Hoopla, Kanopy, Vimeo, and of course all the Google streaming apps continue to work fine. Can y'all do some industrial espionage to find out what these other companies are doing in their code to avoid the problems Emby is having?

Edited by wordlover

dorinandreescu

hello. after I have updated my google tv to android 12, the app does not work anymore only black screen. Please fix ASAP. I have cleared the cache and the also clear data.

thanks.

Update: I'm not the only one 

Edited by dorinandreescu
update

I was on the wrong track earlier, I installed the beta of the Google TV app to my phone. Now figured out how to sideload this to my GTV. But I still can't test without Premiere.. and casting from phone/Windows is still broken. Guess I will revert back to my old Chromecast for now

• Sad 1

CharlieMurphy

They obviously have a fix and there might not be a way for them to fast-track an update to Play Store. But this IS alarming because I have several of these and I guess I'm about to be without TV for a while when they update. I can't go around sideloading all of them.

It sucks to hear a dev say Google is "glacial" while also reading about malware discovered in the Play Store every month. It's like we are suffering for security that we aren't getting anyway.

I have my fingers crossed for the fix to hit Play Store before the **** hits the fan for me. 😐

• Agree 1

TonyMontana

Using Chromecast w/ Google TV. Emby always worked great. They just rolled out their new Android OS 12 now the app doesn't load. I don't even get an error message....just a blank screen.  I've uninstalled, reinstalled, cleared cache, data...everything I could think of...Help!!  

Edited by TonyMontana