Not working on new Chromecast with Google TV (Android 12 OS)

tjlejeune
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

daschmee12
On 10/5/2022 at 3:09 PM, Strider27 said:

@Luke

Will most likely be returning the HD version and getting the 4k as it is not worth the headache over 30 euro.

While I have the HD version, feel free to let me know if you would like logs etc or some troubleshooting done for the Android TV App (will just have to let me know if it is possible to get them when the Emby ATV app isn't starting at all).

I'm guessing you are going to have to deal with this issue eventually as Android 12 gets rolled out to Chromecast with Google TV 4k version etc.

Might try to setup adb later and see what logcat is saying.

I have the 4k version that just got updated to Android 12 and I have the same black screen issue now

bestdeal001
14 hours ago, mikeraburn said:

They are wating on GOOGLE to push the app out.

You may want to sideload.

It's easy, even I did it.

I already did but I prefer apps from play store. Sideloading expose your privacy to other unknown apps.

3 hours ago, bestdeal001 said:

Sideloading expose your privacy to other unknown apps.

Hi.  Only if you were to install those other apps...

bestdeal001
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Only if you were to install those other apps...

But without using those other apps you can not sideload APK file. Those apps are the one who is asking the access to your files etc.

1 minute ago, bestdeal001 said:

But without using those other apps you can not sideload APK file. Those apps are the one who is asking the access to your files etc.

Oh, I see.  You are talking about the file manager apps.  Another way is to install the Google ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and put your device in developer mode.

bestdeal001
25 minutes ago, ebr said:

Oh, I see.  You are talking about the file manager apps.  Another way is to install the Google ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and put your device in developer mode.

Huuum, something new to explore. You have to use dev mode for file explorer as well. I will check it out. Thx

CharlieMurphy

@bestdeal001 I understand you. I only use open source software and companies I trust, like Emby.

You don't have to install any apps or file explorers other than this: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

I personally trust the dev tool binaries from Google, on the other hand I don't touch apps like ES File Explorer anymore. Do you have a Linux/Mac/Windows PC to use ADB from? Would a step-by-step help? It's not that bad, it all actually feels pretty clean and secure so long as you trust the computer you are sideloading from.

I've published an update to our Chromecast receiver to resolve the issue with that, so for those of you trying to cast from a mobile device using Chromecast, that should be resolved now.

• Thanks 1

bestdeal001
1 hour ago, CharlieMurphy said:

@bestdeal001 I understand you. I only use open source software and companies I trust, like Emby.

You don't have to install any apps or file explorers other than this: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

I personally trust the dev tool binaries from Google, on the other hand I don't touch apps like ES File Explorer anymore. Do you have a Linux/Mac/Windows PC to use ADB from? Would a step-by-step help? It's not that bad, it all actually feels pretty clean and secure so long as you trust the computer you are sideloading from.

sure. send it over and will try. Thx

wordlover
1 hour ago, Luke said:

I've published an update to our Chromecast receiver to resolve the issue with that, so for those of you trying to cast from a mobile device using Chromecast, that should be resolved now.

The Chromecast terminology is confusing. Do we need to update our Android app running on a phone or tablet? 

Just now, wordlover said:

The Chromecast terminology is confusing. Do we need to update our Android app running on a phone or tablet? 

No, it was an update to our Chromecast receiver app.

25 minutes ago, wordlover said:

The Chromecast terminology is confusing

Yeah, you can thank Google for that.  "Chromecast" functionality is where you are just casting directly to the device.  "Google TV" is the OS that our Android apps run under.  Chromecast devices used to just be for the former but now with the "Chromecast with Google TV" it is both in the same device.

• Agree 2

Markolc81

My 4K CCwGTV also upgraded to Android 12 this evening, and can confirm that Emby just loads a black screen.   Wife is kinda mad, it's our bedroom TV lol and she can't watch our catalog of 90s sitcoms to fall asleep.

daschmee12

***Question for Luke or other Admin...Once this black screen issue is actually fixed, will I have to uninstall the sideloaded version and reinstall the version from from the play store, or should it auto update back to the working version via the play store, once it's made available(I assume via an update to the app)? 

----

I have 2 CCWGTV 4K both recently updated to Android 12... Side loading the beta APK provided by Luke or one of the other Admins did work, however, there are some minor issues with some settings and themes, but for me, that's not a big deal as long as playback functions, which it does.  I've successfully played 4k HDR and Dolby Vision content without issue on the one CC I decided to sideload on. I am just going to wait for the issue to be fixed through the next update on the other CCWGTV bc it's connected to a smart TV anyway that has the Emby app working.

A rough idea of what is being done and maybe even an ETA for this fix would be nice....

At the moment, my wife is asking when I am going to fix it, she doesnt like it very much when I say "i dont know". I have only recently retired my MCE box with emby (which was stable as anything for years) and now this happens... I am sure im not the only one with an angry household at the moment 😬

• Sad 1

CharlieMurphy
22 minutes ago, daschmee12 said:

***Question for Luke or other Admin...Once this black screen issue is actually fixed, will I have to uninstall the sideloaded version and reinstall the version from from the play store, or should it auto update back to the working version via the play store, once it's made available(I assume via an update to the app)? 

10 minutes ago, frigjam said:

A rough idea of what is being done and maybe even an ETA for this fix would be nice....

CharlieMurphy

For sideloading to regain functionality while Google does their thing, this is all you should need:

ADB from Google: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

Beta Emby apk: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42240-emby-android-tv-release-notes-beta/

unzip the platform-tools folder and then unzip the beta apk into that same folder.

These instructions seem okay, scroll down until you see the set of instructions titled, "Using ADB to sideload apps on Android TV"

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-sideload-apps-android-tv/

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2022 at 6:13 PM, ebr said:

Unfortunately, it is not that simple.  Google has been glacially slow releasing our updates lately but we're trying.

Understood...I did get 3.2.82 on my android phone today, so it looks like some of the updates are flowing. No update on Android TV yet though.

Maybe it wouldn't be applicable to fix this issue, but l think the play store beta program is still worth considering to make it easier to test beta versions. It's easy to enroll/unenroll and move back and forth from stable and beta. It's all done through the play store which is easier for the less technically inclined which might mean a wider base of testers. Would also make testing on Android TV platforms a lot easier, as sideloading on some of these platforms can be a pain.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, McChen said:

Understood...I did get 3.2.82 on my android phone today, so it looks like some of the updates are flowing. No update on Android TV yet though.

Maybe it wouldn't be applicable to fix this issue, but l think the play store beta program is still worth considering to make it easier to test beta versions. It's easy to enroll/unenroll and move back and forth from stable and beta. It's all done through the play store which is easier for the less technically inclined which might mean a wider base of testers. Would also make testing on Android TV platforms a lot easier, as sideloading on some of these platforms can be a pain.

Aaaaaand forget what I just said....for some reason I didn't see it earlier, but I see you already have beta programs setup for both the regular and android tv versions (yay!) :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frigjam said:

At the moment, my wife is asking when I am going to fix it, she doesnt like it very much when I say "i dont know". I have only recently retired my MCE box with emby (which was stable as anything for years) and now this happens... I am sure im not the only one with an angry household at the moment 😬

If you're using the Android TV app and not the Chromecast function, it's already resolved if you can just sideload the updated app version:

I apologize that you have to do this for now, but the google play store review process is very slow right now and unfortunately we're just stuck waiting. The work is done. We just need our app update released.

daschmee12
1 hour ago, CharlieMurphy said:

For sideloading to regain functionality while Google does their thing, this is all you should need:

ADB from Google: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

Beta Emby apk: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42240-emby-android-tv-release-notes-beta/

unzip the platform-tools folder and then unzip the beta apk into that same folder.

These instructions seem okay, scroll down until you see the set of instructions titled, "Using ADB to sideload apps on Android TV"

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-sideload-apps-android-tv/

If you have a USB C hub with PD{power delivery) you can also connect it to your Chromecast,  download the APK onto a USB flash/thumb drive, and then install one of the file explorer apps from the play store on your Chromecast. Then just allow that file explorer app to install apps from unknown sources in system permissions, and then click the APK file on the thumb drive you've inserted into the USB C hub connected to the CC, and the Android package installer will install the APK as a normal app.(sorry for that long run-on sentence lol) This is how I sideload everything. It sounds like a lot of steps and more complicated than it actually is, but it's actually quite simple, assuming you have the USB C hub to connect to your CC. Can also add extra storage to the CC with the hub attached with a thumb drive inserted.  Best of luck! 

Also... This is the USB C hub I have that works perfectly with my CCWGTV, and very reasonable priced...Plug the CCWGTV power cable into the hub, and then plug the USB C cable from the hub into the CC, and that's all there is to it! Can also add all kinds of peripherals with the hub ie: external mouse and keyboard, webcam, hard drives, and USB A thumb/flash drivesfor that extra storage that is sorely needed on the original 4K model. However after the Android 12 update I have noticed a lot of storage space has freed up. Anyway I'll stop rambling now. Hope this helps! 

Vemont USB c hub,5 in1 USB c hub...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085XZGVN5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Edited by daschmee12
Added link for USBC hub on Amazon
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the clarity with the update, I havent really got time to mess with side-loading apps, just got the CCWGTV to be simple and works out of the box... I'll eagerly await Google to approve your new version with the fix :)

• Like 1