End Credits Detection for resume/next episode

crusher11

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, kingom said:

Thanks for the insight :)

Do you know how plex does this?

Sorry i don't but probably a combo of the above.   To note, the Introskip Plugin has credit detection before Plex did ... 🤔 .. 

neik
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

To note, the Introskip Plugin has credit detection before Plex did ... 🤔 .

And is working fairly well for TV shows.

A real masterpiece what you guys created and which continues to work just fine. In fact, it's one of my daily drivers plugin wise.

• Thanks 1

samuelqwe
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Sorry i don't but probably a combo of the above

You would be right, according to their blog when this was released: https://www.plex.tv/en-ca/blog/let-the-next-episode-roll/

We’ve worked hard to tune a machine learning algorithm to make sense of several inputs (text detection, the presence of black frames, and a few other secret ingredients) to come up with a reliable set of markers when credits begin and end.

Netflix also shared how they did this, or at least some details about it, in this article (which I've also shared previously): https://netflixtechblog.com/extracting-contextual-information-from-video-assets-ee9da25b6008

It would seem that text detection is often used, as well as some form of image fingerprinting (similar to how Intro Skip uses audio, but with frames of video), and black frame detection to fine-tune the result. I believe I also saw somewhere (though I can't seem to recall where exactly) that extracting motion vectors from video were also used to identify credits because end credits will typically have no motion or have constant motion in one direction.

So essentially, it would seem that in order get this right, a combination of inputs would have to be used to accurately detect credits, and doing so would likely be significantly more demanding on any given system than the method used for Intro Skip. This is why Plex chose to anonymously (and by default) upload the identified credit markers in a cloud database to reduce the system ressources required for this process, though this would go against Emby's stance on data privacy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

crusher11
On 2/12/2024 at 10:11 PM, ebr said:

Its the same process and basically the same thing - detecting and reacting to credits just like intros.  This specific request only outlines one use-case of the functionality.  There are multiple use cases but one basic function.

Trying to detect post-credit and in-credit sequences is a whole new challenge. Detecting credits is already doable in the IntroSkip plugin, or they can be manually added with ChapterAPI. All this request is for is acknowledging those markers for the "next episode" pop-up (already present in the Android apps, not sure about other clients) and for the purpose of marking something as played vs in-progress. Much, much simpler than entirely new detection features and skipping functionality.

There's no need to put a simple request on the back burner just because someone else attached a more complex request to it.

rbjtech
7 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Trying to detect post-credit and in-credit sequences is a whole new challenge. Detecting credits is already doable in the IntroSkip plugin, or they can be manually added with ChapterAPI. All this request is for is acknowledging those markers for the "next episode" pop-up (already present in the Android apps, not sure about other clients) and for the purpose of marking something as played vs in-progress. Much, much simpler than entirely new detection features and skipping functionality.

There's no need to put a simple request on the back burner just because someone else attached a more complex request to it.

But without the detection, there is little reward for the majority of users and thus a low priority for emby as a whole.

Yes both the Introskip Plugin detected them and Chapter API can manually add them - but both 3rd party plugins and I'd imagine used by a fraction of the overall users.   The Introskip plugin is no longer distribured, nor supported.

So the ability to 'use' the CreditStart/CreditEnd hidden markers in the clients would go with the 'Add Credit Detection' feature request, not sit on it's own as a leftover from a previously explored venture.

• Agree 1