End Credits Detection for resume/next episode

crusher11

rbjtech
2 hours ago, Spooky83 said:

Apparently @rbjtechhasn't read my post. Are you back home @Cheesegeezerand could you maybe sent the latest dll?

I've copied the DLL in a PM.  Please remember this is unsupported and you cannot run the Core Introskip in parallel.   You need to disable any Core Introskip tasks.  You are fully responsible for it's use! (but as you used it before, this should be less of an issue).

• Thanks 2

Spooky83
On 5/7/2023 at 4:20 PM, rbjtech said:

I've copied the DLL in a PM.  Please remember this is unsupported and you cannot run the Core Introskip in parallel.   You need to disable any Core Introskip tasks.  You are fully responsible for it's use! (but as you used it before, this should be less of an issue).

Thanks, I already disabled the tasks and disabled the settings in the libraries. 

Audio fingerprinting is running 👍

• Like 2

Amanade3

is it the introskip plugin you guys are talking about? or the unfinished credit skip plugin

Edited by Amanade3

Cheesegeezer
3 minutes ago, Amanade3 said:

is it the introskip plugin you guys are talking about? or the unfinished credit skip plugin

IntroSkip Plugin.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
rbjtech
2 hours ago, kingom said:

awaiting credit skip since years, hope it will get done soon :)

I would imagine that is pretty low on the pririority list, given all the security improvements planned and many yet to be finished other initiatives (playlists etc).

Do you have a particular use case for credit skip - other than just bringing up the 'Next' episode accurately ?

kingom
On 6/6/2023 at 7:05 PM, rbjtech said:

other than just bringing up the 'Next' episode accurately ?

Isn't that the whole purpose of the function? or am i missing something?

But yeah, i would really like to bring up the next episode accurately :) 

• Like 1

rbjtech
7 minutes ago, kingom said:

Isn't that the whole purpose of the function? or am i missing something?

But yeah, i would really like to bring up the next episode accurately :) 

Exactly lol - but I would actually like to not even bother with button/dialogue and skip directly into the next episode.

On the Introskip Plugin we allowed this - and just displayed a 'message' informing the user that the next episode was now playing.

It basically useful for remote free 'binge' watching - especially useful on very short shows.

I guess hitting the 'ok' button to skip, is not exactly the end of the world, but it would be nice to have that auto-skip option (as has been implemented on the Intro's) for the credits also.

kingom
2 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

On the Introskip Plugin we allowed this - and just displayed a 'message' informing the user that the next episode was now playing.

Hold on, what am i missing? Intro skip plugin?

Searched the plugins in emby but can't find anything like that, source?

currently only using embys built in intro skip.

rbjtech
50 minutes ago, kingom said:

Hold on, what am i missing? Intro skip plugin?

Searched the plugins in emby but can't find anything like that, source?

currently only using embys built in intro skip.

While a few of use still use it, It's no longer supported I'm afraid - sorry for the tease, the Plugin came along before parts of it were added directly into the core, unfortunately the credit detection and editing were not - they may follow one day  .. :(

Amanade3

well the android tv app supports end credit display if the data is fed about when the credits start. currently its possible to do it manually using chapterapi plugins but it would be so much easier if its done automatically like the intro skip function....... I dont know why you lose interest in doing the plugin. I think it s a cool feature you have already done it in the introskip plugin and works fine and accurate for most shows. I think a lot of ppl would find this helpful especially for shows which has long end credits while binge watching.

Edited by Amanade3
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

rbjtech
9 hours ago, Amanade3 said:

well the android tv app supports end credit display if the data is fed about when the credits start. currently its possible to do it manually using chapterapi plugins but it would be so much easier if its done automatically like the intro skip function....... I dont know why you lose interest in doing the plugin. I think it s a cool feature you have already done it in the introskip plugin and works fine and accurate for most shows. I think a lot of ppl would find this helpful especially for shows which has long end credits while binge watching.

Couldn't agree more .. thats why I still use the plugin..  We just need to convince the core Devs .. ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 8 months later...
byakuya32

This would be so good for anime and marvel movies as there are post credit scenes

GrimReaper
22 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

How does this relate to post-credit scenes?

rbjtech
5 hours ago, crusher11 said:

That's nothing to do with this request at all.

? - yes it does.

The 'credits' in the Introskip Plugin actually has a CreditStart and CreditEnd - the same as IntroStart and IntroEnd.   Meaning you could skip credits for a defined peroid, not just skip to the next episode.    Core just uses the CreditStart value to skip to the next episode only.      

That being said, its so rare having endings after the credits, that the solution is simply delete the CreditStart - that way you won't miss the ending.    This would have been manually entered anyway (in the Chapter API Plugin) or originally detected by the Introskip Plugin. 

Edited by rbjtech

crusher11
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

? - yes it does.

The 'credits' in the Introskip Plugin actually has a CreditStart and CreditEnd - the same as IntroStart and IntroEnd.   Meaning you could skip credits for a defined peroid,

Which has nothing to do with this request.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

Which has nothing to do with this request.

Its the same process and basically the same thing - detecting and reacting to credits just like intros.  This specific request only outlines one use-case of the functionality.  There are multiple use cases but one basic function.

• Like 1

evil_crab

Are there any blockers for this functionality, or is it just a low priority at the moment? It looks like all necessary parts already exist in some form.

1. Use the same algorithm as intro detection to detect credits and mark CreditStart and CreditEnd.
  2. If CreditEnd is within a certain margin (1-2 sec) from the end of the file show the "Next episode" button.
  3. If CreditEnd is further away from the end show the "Skip credits" button. This can be also configurable in case some people are not interested in the post-credit content and prefer to have a "Next episode" button in this case as well.
Edited by evil_crab

rbjtech
6 minutes ago, evil_crab said:

Are there any blockers for this functionality, or is it just a low priority at the moment? It looks like all necessary parts already exist in some form.

1. Use the same algorithm as intro detection to detect credits and mark CreditStart and CreditEnd.
  2. If CreditEnd is within a certain margin (1-2 sec) from the end of the file show the "Next episode" button.
  3. If CreditEnd is further away from the end show the "Skip credits" button. This can be also configurable in case some people are not interested in the post-credit content and prefer to have a "Next episode" button in this case as well.

Detecting the End Credits is far more difficult/uncertain than detecting an Intro and there are many forms of how credits 'roll'.

1. Outro - as you say, same detection method as Intro - assuming all episodes do the same.

2. Black Frame detection - Background goes black and credits roll.  Detecting this is very heavy on cpu.

3. Character/word detection (OCR) - detect 'words' such as 'Directed By' on the screen to confirm this is a credit.   

4. Scene detection.

The Introskip plugin team tried them all - with varying levels of success - the solution we used for Credit Detection in the original Introskip Plugin was a combo of 1 & 2 above.   3 was looked into, it was successful but very heavy of CPU and not fast enough.   4 was actually very interesting, had promosing results, but it was never completed.

• Like 1

Yeah, end credits are a lot trickier - especially in a movie where you cannot use an audio fingerprint like we do with TV shows.

• Agree 1

evil_crab
11 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

1. Outro - as you say, same detection method as Intro - assuming all episodes do the same.

2. Black Frame detection - Background goes black and credits roll.  Detecting this is very heavy on cpu.

3. Character/word detection (OCR) - detect 'words' such as 'Directed By' on the screen to confirm this is a credit.   

4. Scene detection.

I assume that 3 also won't work well for non-English shows.  Can you elaborate on what you mean by scene detection?

Also, for shows with subtitles, I think it should be possible to use them for detecting the credits by checking when they stop relatively to the end of the file or when there is a long gap in subs near the end. Although this approach may be not reliable for some types of content. Anime subs, for example, often have karaoke sections during the openings/endings, but in this particular case, approach 1 should work well.

rbjtech
22 minutes ago, evil_crab said:

I assume that 3 also won't work well for non-English shows.  Can you elaborate on what you mean by scene detection?

Also, for shows with subtitles, I think it should be possible to use them for detecting the credits by checking when they stop relatively to the end of the file or when there is a long gap in subs near the end. Although this approach may be not reliable for some types of content. Anime subs, for example, often have karaoke sections during the openings/endings, but in this particular case, approach 1 should work well.

Language does not matter - you just look up the word in a multi language dictionary - it's the detection of the 'words' on the screen that is the costly bit - the lookup of what they mean is not.

Scene detection - https://rusty.today/posts/ffmpeg-scene-change-detector

Because the credits are usually the last 'scene' - you can detect when it starts.  

Edited by rbjtech

kingom
35 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Detecting the End Credits is far more difficult/uncertain than detecting an Intro and there are many forms of how credits 'roll'.

4. Scene detection.

The Introskip plugin team tried them all - with varying levels of success - the solution we used for Credit Detection in the original Introskip Plugin was a combo of 1 & 2 above.   3 was looked into, it was successful but very heavy of CPU and not fast enough.   4 was actually very interesting, had promosing results, but it was never completed.

Thanks for the insight :)

Do you know how plex does this?