End Credits Detection for resume/next episode

crusher11

rbjtech

@softworkz

Some interesting reading.

For TV Shows - the Introskip Plugin ( @chef)  created over 18 months ago used a combo of Black Frame detection and Chromaprint - it was very accurate if the show used the classic 'credits' roll.  I've been using it on the AndroidTV App (GoofleTV/FireTV) for all this time - that app pulls up the 'Next Up' banner (at the correct time) - or you can tell it to Auto-Skip to the next episode - it worked well and still does.. :)

image.thumb.png.813776abb5f02ed4a8d54fc3717a8205.png

@Cheesegeezer and @samuelqwe have also been working on credit identification for movies/films - but this time based on Scenes with ffmpeg - early days, but this again is working well for some types of 'credits'.

I hope cheese and sam don't mind me showing this - but the plugin is in a good shape..  development on it has paused as other life priorities have hit - but the logic looks solid.

(pink area shows the 'credits' section - basically identified because it has no 'scene' changes..)

image.thumb.png.d8bffccce3b0f1b383c952e2f7963ac1.png

image.thumb.png.75faed1c5bc43ad466f102f8204d84c3.png

image.png.a3d21696bc98ecd4c33952f491e7f79e.png

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, rbjtech said:

@softworkz

Some interesting reading.

For TV Shows - the Introskip Plugin ( @chef)  created over 18 months ago used a combo of Black Frame detection and Chromaprint - it was very accurate if the show used the classic 'credits' roll.  I've been using it on the AndroidTV App (GoofleTV/FireTV) for all this time - that app pulls up the 'Next Up' banner (at the correct time) - or you can tell it to Auto-Skip to the next episode - it worked well and still does.

Thanks for the info! 

TBH, I haven't followed the whole story regarding intro detection, not even at our side. Working on such things is a bit of an unthankful job as you are never really done. There will regularly be new cases coming around where it doesn't work and then you need to get into it again. There's no clear solution and multiple methods needs to be combined, results weighted and summarized. Again something that needs a lot of iterative adjustment.

If you ask me, it's not really something I'd like to work on, and I very much appreciate the effort from all of you guys on that subject!
There's a number of things to come for developers working on Emby solutions (plugins and API integrations) which will make their work easier and more effective. The announcement will be made shortly and it's there to show that our appreciation for all developers goes beyond just words 🙂 

• Like 4

Cheesegeezer
10 hours ago, softworkz said:

If you ask me, it's not really something I'd like to work on, and I very much appreciate the effort from all of you guys on that subject!
There's a number of things to come for developers working on Emby solutions (plugins and API integrations) which will make their work easier and more effective. The announcement will be made shortly and it's there to show that our appreciation for all developers goes beyond just words 🙂 

Wowzers this sounds promising for sure...  look forward to the announcement and thanks for the kind words.

23 hours ago, rbjtech said:

@Cheesegeezer and @samuelqwe have also been working on credit identification for movies/films - but this time based on Scenes with ffmpeg - early days, but this again is working well for some types of 'credits'.

I hope cheese and sam don't mind me showing this - but the plugin is in a good shape..  development on it has paused as other life priorities have hit - but the logic looks solid.

(pink area shows the 'credits' section - basically identified because it has no 'scene' changes..)

Absolutely no issues sharing our progress on this.... just wish we had more time at the minute to further our progress.

:D 

• Agree 1

Cheesegeezer
On 17/09/2022 at 23:41, softworkz said:

Ah, interesting article. I'm sure there's much more to it than they are writing...

The one important difference between them and a local Emby server is that they got almost infinite computing resources available.

And only version to deal with. Plus for their own content I’m sure they will put a marker in during production phase. 

• 1 month later...
rbjtech

Just to keep this thread updated.

@Cheesegeezer is finding more hours in the day then is humanly possible (🤣) and alongside all his other plugins, he has also found time to refactor the old original Introskip code - removing the Intro detection part (and leaving that to the Core), but modifying the Shows credit detection to write to the core markers.     Some other much loved bells and whistles from the original Plugin have also been included - such as proper Intro/Credit visable chapter markers for example using the core data.   Backup of the markers is I believe also going to be included (replacing the current stand alone plugin).

I'm looking forward to this - as it's bringing the best of both worlds - core intro detection, with tried and tested TV credit detection from the plugin.

To note the movie credits is a different plugin - this is whole different challenge - thus is being kept separate. 

👍   

• Like 3

Cheesegeezer

Just to add to Rich's comments

Finally nailed it down chapter insertion and everything is working as before

image.thumb.png.bbf9cc9b0079509813b0c5c2a9e51c26.png

image.png.00c88916bae92f57981c5bcf6a7d18ee.png

You can see whats going on here

ignore the filepath it's just a copy of the WW thrown into 1883 to populate some extra episodes for me. So core info but info from the creditdetection.  Not sure why the timespan is rounded, i'll have to look into that

image.thumb.png.bda2752ce3d6eb3114645cd68fdecfa7.png

Here is an example of what it looks like if you have all this data in the backup plugin and import it.

BOOM!! Lush mate

image.thumb.png.5202342dc8fef4039f9cc86673de1a11.png

Just need to jog on with the UI now. 

• Like 2

crusher11

None of this actually addresses the request, which was made in response to credit detection first becoming possible. 

rbjtech
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

None of this actually addresses the request, which was made in response to credit detection first becoming possible. 

All 3 parts of your original question are covered above.  1) Auto Credit detection is being republished - it doesn't exist in a supported plugin today 2) ATV App already uses credit markers and has done for months 3) Movie credits are in progress - as stated above.

Please read before replying.

The 3rd party Dev's and many others are giving their free time to deliver these feature requests - so please show some respect and if you have nothing constructive to say - please refrain from posting it ...

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

Cheesegeezer
41 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

The 3rd party Dev's and many others are giving their free time to deliver these feature requests - so please show some respect and if you have nothing constructive to say - please refrain from posting it ...

This is why this users posts never show or bother me anymore

crusher11
46 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

All 3 parts of your original question are covered above.  1) Auto Credit detection is being republished - it doesn't exist in a supported plugin today 2) ATV App already uses credit markers and has done for months 3) Movie credits are in progress - as stated above.

Please read before replying.

My request wasn't for credit markers to exist, because at the time I made the post they already did (and still do, if you want to use the @TeamB plugin to add them manually, which I've been doing with my sports material anyway).

My request was for credit markers to be utilised in two situations: for the 'next episode' popup, and for whether or not to make something resumable. Neither of this is addressed simply by the addition of the markers. The ATV app currently does the former, but it's the only client to do so. None of the apps do the latter.

All we're doing now is rewinding to where we were before I made this post, because the core implemented about 10% of what IntroSkip was doing and then Cheese threw a tantrum and shut down the plugin despite all its additional functionality.

It's not a matter of being "constructive" or not, it's simply a matter of this not being on-topic for this thread, a point I feel is important to make given @ebr locked the feature request this discussion ought to be happening in because he thought it fit better here. It doesn't. It's a different request.

56 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

2) ATV App already uses credit markers

To be fair to @crusher11 in this instance, that is the only app that respects these markers right now.  So it needs to get into the others - but it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation because it doesn't make much sense until there is a critical mass of folks with this information.  It is an easy add, though.

rbjtech
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

To be fair to @crusher11 in this instance, that is the only app that respects these markers right now.  So it needs to get into the others - but it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation because it doesn't make much sense until there is a critical mass of folks with this information.  It is an easy add, though.

ok - and that makes sense. Thanks.

The original plugin did not write the creditstart markers unless you ran an extra task -  on this re-release (for credits only), it will write it - so it should be usable in the ATV App as it was before (or manually added via the ChapterAPI plugin).

So unless you used the original Introskip plugin to write it - for 99.9% of the users, this data will not exist I agree.

Cheesegeezer
21 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can you not write that in to the apps ready for when i release it? 

Cheesegeezer

@ebr

you duplicated this thread yesterday or day before. This specifically asks for end credit detection 

And as you just stated this asks for the next episode info to post at the time credit skip marker fires and shows that info and next episode count down with the option the skip.

so i think you should re instate that request. The requests are not related at all. I would have posted there but its locked.

13 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

@ebr

you duplicated this thread yesterday or day before. This specifically asks for end credit detection 

And as you just stated this asks for the next episode info to post at the time credit skip marker fires and shows that info and next episode count down with the option the skip.

so i think you should re instate that request. The requests are not related at all. I would have posted there but its locked.

It is all wrapped up in the same thing - detection and handling of end credits.

Cheesegeezer

When i clone myself for the 4th time. Work is insane and that pays the bills

• Haha 4
  • Agree 1

samuelqwe
22 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

When i clone myself for the 4th time. Work is insane and that pays the bills

Yup, this will get done whenever we can figure out where the time keeps going... way too busy all the time.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
rbjtech
3 hours ago, adminExitium said:

Plex Preview: https://forums.plex.tv/t/forum-preview-credits-detection-for-plex-media-server/822998

Has the cloud-based marker sourcing too via API.

Nothing particularly new here - The Introskip Plugin had TV End Credits maybe 18 Months ago - I still have them all detected on my TV Shows as I'm now still using the Plugin.

ChapterAPI was using a cloud based approach maybe 6 months ago - the concept worked for Intro's great - but would have easily been expanded for Credits, Recaps etc - but it never took off.

Emby had the opportunity to include both the End Credits from Introskip and the ChapterAPI ... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Emby had the opportunity to include both the End Credits from Introskip and the ChapterAPI ... 

And decided to ignore both, sadly... 😞

Just like rbj I will go back to the plugin as it is way more complete compared to what the core currently has.

The core server already supports an end credits marker, it's just that it's only a placeholder and none of the apps are doing anything with it yet.

crusher11
2 hours ago, Luke said:

The core server already supports an end credits marker, it's just that it's only a placeholder and none of the apps are doing anything with it yet.

That's not true, ATV uses it to trigger the Next Episode popup. 

• Agree 2

rbjtech
4 hours ago, crusher11 said:

That's not true, ATV uses it to trigger the Next Episode popup. 

..and to add, if Auto-Skip is selected in the Plugin config - it will automatically skip to the next Episode on ANY Emby App - it does not have the dependency on the end credits marker.

image.png.2df5fbba2b1aeb88e5508fb724f7cf73.png