can't fast forward / rewind a video

horstepipe

RosiePooki

Sure hope we find a fix for this. I have 2x shield, 2x Google chromecast TV and 2x mibox's that you cannot fast forward or rewind with emby. I saw stated above that using an external player fixes this, can anyone confirm that.  Update: Confirmed that using VLV as an external player fixes the issue completely

Edited by RosiePooki

arrbee99

On the Shield with TV app .78 (I think), played a movie, pressed FF once and stuck / crashed / rebooted. Hopefully sent a log at 19:55pm local time under user Family.

arrbee99

Thats with DTS 5.1. Not even HD or MA or whatever its called.

A quick check with the new app .62 an FF and RW seems fine.

6 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

On the Shield with TV app .78 (I think), played a movie, pressed FF once and stuck / crashed / rebooted. Hopefully sent a log at 19:55pm local time under user Family.

Thanks for trying but, unfortunately, no information on the crash.

6 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

Thats with DTS 5.1. Not even HD or MA or whatever its called.

By any chance did the item have ASS subtitles?

jriker1
On 7/23/2022 at 5:24 PM, Bill LeDuc said:

I know I'm late to this party, but I have been experiencing this problem on both the Android TV and the Android mobile apps. My symptoms are if forward a number of clicks, when its starts playing the video will be choppy/shuddering and I will need to exit and resume. If I hold down and fast forward it doesn't happen. Or I believe if I click slowly once or twice it maybe ok.

It's seems like  it could be server related because both apps are having problems. I don't get get it. This is such a basic interface function.

And by the way. Don't unify the apps. The mobile one is so much better. 

Same issue here other than for me it hangs for a minute or so then starts up after a spinner.  That said, not sure if you notice it but when mine starts playing again it's now transcoding which isn't necessary on the NVidia Shield for my content.  So play direct play, hit the jump button a bunch of times, video hangs, wait wait wait, spinner, starts playing but console shows transcoding now.

arrbee99
10 hours ago, ebr said:

By any chance did the item have ASS subtitles?

No subs in any form -

842159617_EmbyFFRW.jpg.4b96464e3d02fa481d1375172c7d5792.jpg

might possibly as above...it may not crash, I may just be too impatient with it, press any button I think might work then give up and start switching things off and on again.

arrbee99

Also, talking of switching from Direct to Trancsoding, as above, got this using beta .78 (I think)-

182822457_EmbyFFRW1.jpg.b43f2d97244869949d505e141a919bf7.jpg

for a 4K movie (so not compressed in any way). Its now resumed playing, transcoding the audio.

beta .62 for other app still seems fine here, FF working OK, direct playing for this 4K file.

• 2 weeks later...
Theogeek

In my testing, this is what I've found on my Nvidia Shield client connected to a local Emby server running in a Docker container on Linux Mint 20 with various audio and video formats.

1. Nvidia Shield App from the app store, internal player
    1. FF/REV results in a LONG "freeze" (30 seconds to over a minute)
      1. One press usually works, but much more results in a freeze that seems like a lock up if you don't wait long enough
    2. Playback resumes after the "freeze" 
    3. Subsequent FF/REV attempts work better but sometimes still result in the long "freeze"
    4. It seems that the more complex AV formats (Atmos, 10 bit, TrueHD, etc.) are way more prone to this long pause.
  2. Sideloaded Android App
    1. FF/REV work fine, no freezing or weird behavior
  3. Nvidia Shield App with external players
    1. I tried VLC Player, mpv-android, and Nova player, which all work perfectly fine
    2. External players suffer from the known issue where viewing progress is not saved
  4. On a flyer, I tried Jellyfin - it behaves like #1 above

At this point, I need to choose between the less than optimal "generic Android UI stinks on the Shield" experience, the less than optimal "external player but no saved progress" experience, or the less than optimal "use the internal player but don't FF or REV" experience.

Honestly, the best experience would be the generic Android player with the NVIDIA Shield UI - is that the one that will eventually be coming to the emby client for the Shield?

Is there a way for me to cobble those together on my own?  :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

1. Sideloaded Android App

This is great news. You're saying it's working correctly, right?

Why do you think the UI is less than optimal?

Theogeek
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

This is great news. You're saying it's working correctly, right?

Why do you think the UI is less than optimal?

Yeah - the good news is that the native Android app works like I'd expect.

Because it's not a native Shield app? For example:

1) Pressing back to exit the app brings up a popup where I have to button down to "Exit" and then select that

2) There is no sound on the home screen as I'm navigating around

3) I need to select "more" to play from the beginning rather than the native app's button right next to the "resume" button

4) Many other "quality of life" things that work fine on a phone but don't translate well to the shield

Maybe it's because I'm so used to the native Shield app that these differences are pretty jarring - it's nothing I can't get used to, but if I wanted a phone experience, I'd use a phone.

Or, maybe I've been using the "Andriod TV" app on a Shield and that was never really intended.  :)

Honestly, the biggest annoying thing is #1 above.

Thanks!

Just now, Theogeek said:

Yeah - the good news is that the native Android app works like I'd expect.

Because it's not a native Shield app? For example:

1) Pressing back to exit the app brings up a popup where I have to button down to "Exit" and then select that

2) There is no sound on the home screen as I'm navigating around

3) I need to select "more" to play from the beginning rather than the native app's button right next to the "resume" button

4) Many other "quality of life" things that work fine on a phone but don't translate well to the shield

Maybe it's because I'm so used to the native Shield app that these differences are pretty jarring - it's nothing I can't get used to, but if I wanted a phone experience, I'd use a phone.

Or, maybe I've been using the "Andriod TV" app on a Shield and that was never really intended.  :)

Honestly, the biggest annoying thing is #1 above.

Thanks!

There is no such thing as a shield-specific app. They are both native apps, and they are just different.

What other quality of life things?

arrbee99

I don't see why if the sideload app plays fine and the ATV app doesn't, the 'good' bits of the sideload app can't be moved into the ATV app.

16 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

I don't see why if the sideload app plays fine and the ATV app doesn't, the 'good' bits of the sideload app can't be moved into the ATV app.

They can, but it's not as easy as copy/paste. So much of the work has to be done all over again. That's the price you pay for having two different apps to begin with, which made sense many years ago, but does not anymore.

arrbee99

Well yes, easy for me to say. But there's still so much to do to get the new one to look and function (very close) too the old one as well. So at the moment there's an official app thats terrific apart from this ff/rw hanging thing, and a sideload beta app thats still got a fair way to go. IMHO the official one should be working 100%.

But again, easy for me to say.

william emby conn

Thank you Theogeek for summarizing the player problems adding another voice to the issue. But, I find that the side loaded app has the same freeze problem as the app store app, just not as often. So Luke, you are not out of the woods here. On the positive side, I have said this before, I like the side loaded apps interface much better than the app store app. So it may be a mater of opinion. 

Here is what I see is the issues with the side loaded app.

1. Will not play videos with high-res audio track (example: sample rate of 96kHz and a bit depth 24 bits) without choppy video

2. When skipping ahead/back intermittently has choppy video with DTS HD Master, and TrueHD audio tracks

3. Intermittently freezes when skipping ahead/back. 

Theogeek
On 8/21/2022 at 12:48 PM, william emby conn said:

Thank you Theogeek for summarizing the player problems adding another voice to the issue. But, I find that the side loaded app has the same freeze problem as the app store app, just not as often.

I haven't experienced that yet, but last night, the player minimized on its own.  Weird.  It then exited to the Shield home screen shortly afterwards on its own.

Hasn't happened since though.

Also, streaming 4K content is really spotty with both apps, but the sideloaded app can't use external players?

Anyone able to try this?

23 hours ago, ebr said:

Did the beta that went up yesterday have any impact on this issue?

OmniiOMEGA
On 25/08/2022 at 23:09, ebr said:

Anyone able to try this?

Nope still doing the annoying can’t rewind bug and the annoying thing with 2.0.48g is you can’t hit down arrow key to bring up the chapters of the movie like you can in newer versions!

How much longer are we going to wait until we finally get a fix on this guys?

5 minutes ago, OmniiOMEGA said:

the annoying thing with 2.0.48g

Hi. The latest beta is 2.0.80.  What version did you test?

5 minutes ago, OmniiOMEGA said:

you can’t hit down arrow key to bring up the chapters

The up key has always been the shortcut for chapters.  That hasn't changed.

OmniiOMEGA
On 21/08/2022 at 02:42, Theogeek said:

In my testing, this is what I've found on my Nvidia Shield client connected to a local Emby server running in a Docker container on Linux Mint 20 with various audio and video formats.

1. Nvidia Shield App from the app store, internal player
    1. FF/REV results in a LONG "freeze" (30 seconds to over a minute)
      1. One press usually works, but much more results in a freeze that seems like a lock up if you don't wait long enough
    2. Playback resumes after the "freeze" 
    3. Subsequent FF/REV attempts work better but sometimes still result in the long "freeze"
    4. It seems that the more complex AV formats (Atmos, 10 bit, TrueHD, etc.) are way more prone to this long pause.
  2. Sideloaded Android App
  3. Nvidia Shield App with external players
    1. I tried VLC Player, mpv-android, and Nova player, which all work perfectly fine
    2. External players suffer from the known issue where viewing progress is not saved
  4. On a flyer, I tried Jellyfin - it behaves like #1 above

At this point, I need to choose between the less than optimal "generic Android UI stinks on the Shield" experience, the less than optimal "external player but no saved progress" experience, or the less than optimal "use the internal player but don't FF or REV" experience.

Honestly, the best experience would be the generic Android player with the NVIDIA Shield UI - is that the one that will eventually be coming to the emby client for the Shield?

Is there a way for me to cobble those together on my own?  :)

Thanks!

Yep just sideloaded 2.0.48g and I can rewind again on NVIDIA shield?

4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi. The latest beta is 2.0.80.  What version did you test?

The up key has always been the shortcut for chapters.  That hasn't changed.

Yes the latest which is 2.0.48g?

yep thanks for that

26 minutes ago, OmniiOMEGA said:

Yes the latest which is 2.0.48g?

Hi.  The latest beta release is now 2.0.81

Theogeek

Thought I'd weigh back in...

I installed 2.0.80 and in movies that had trouble with FF/REW before, all seems to be working now. The only real difference now between the Android TV app and the Android app related to this feature is that the Android TV app seems to take longer to catch up if the FF/REV is a "long way" from the current position, but it doesn't freeze anymore as far as I can see.

That said, I'm getting used to the Android interface on the Shield now that I've been using that for a while - the biggest "quality of life" I miss now is that some of the background screens when selecting movies or TV shows looks like it's optimized for a phone screen as the graphic is in portrait mode only in the middle of the screen. I've seen this differently though so I'm not sure what causes that.

• Thanks 1