can't fast forward / rewind a video

horstepipe

pir8radio
On 7/20/2022 at 2:45 AM, horstepipe said:

@pir8radio any idea why it works on android mobile but not on android tv when cloudflare is in the middle?

you have your setting set like in the cloudflare post?   auto minify off, rocket loader off etc....

horstepipe
13 hours ago, pir8radio said:

you have your setting set like in the cloudflare post?   auto minify off, rocket loader off etc....

Yes. As said it doesn’t work on your server either.

On 7/20/2022 at 3:45 AM, horstepipe said:

any idea why it works on android mobile but not on android tv when cloudflare is in the middle?

On 7/20/2022 at 2:09 PM, ebr said:

The network layers in use are different.

• Agree 1

horstepipe
48 minutes ago, ebr said:

guess the best bet is to wait for the unification of the apps.

Bill LeDuc

I know I'm late to this party, but I have been experiencing this problem on both the Android TV and the Android mobile apps. My symptoms are if forward a number of clicks, when its starts playing the video will be choppy/shuddering and I will need to exit and resume. If I hold down and fast forward it doesn't happen. Or I believe if I click slowly once or twice it maybe ok.

It's seems like  it could be server related because both apps are having problems. I don't get get it. This is such a basic interface function.

And by the way. Don't unify the apps. The mobile one is so much better. 

Bill LeDuc

Forgot to mention, I'm using an nvidia shield. using server 4.7.5 and the latest mobile and TV apps.

Bill LeDuc

When I said I was using the Android mobile version I was referring to standard mobile app. I had version 3.2.54 installed. The one I downloaded from your link was 3.2.58. It has the same symptoms. I also noticed that when it's failing if I do a fast forward that fixes the problem

It appears that the problem may be related to the sound track. When I play videos with a AC3 5.1 sound track it won't fail. When I play a video with a DTS-HD Master sound track it fails.

16 hours ago, Bill LeDuc said:

When I play a video with a DTS-HD Master sound track it fails.

Hi.  If you have the "Dolby Audio Processing" feature turned on in the Shield settings, try turning that off.

arrbee99
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  If you have the "Dolby Audio Processing" feature turned on in the Shield settings, try turning that off.

Is this the standard go to fix for this DTS MA thing ? I was hoping it was fixed with the last Shield update but apparently not. I've had the Shield freeze completely when trying to play (I think) this format.

Bill LeDuc

I played two AC3 5.1 videos and two DTS HD Master videos and the DTS HD failed and the AC3 did not. Given I am using up-to-date software and and a very standard hardware platform it should be repeatable by developers. The DTS HD videos are standard Blu-rays ripped to MKVs. DTS HD videos are 1080p. The AC3 videos are 720p TV recordings.

15 hours ago, Bill LeDuc said:

I played two AC3 5.1 videos and two DTS HD Master videos and the DTS HD failed and the AC3 did not.

So this was four different videos?  That could very well be a correlation rather than a cause.  Do you have a video with an AC3 and a DTS-HD MA track and can cause the problem by just switching tracks?

Bill LeDuc

As I mentioned, this seems like something you can easily test yourself. I played a video with DTS HD Master and it failed. I switch to the DTS 5.1 sound track and it did not fail.

3 hours ago, Bill LeDuc said:

As I mentioned, this seems like something you can easily test yourself. I played a video with DTS HD Master and it failed. I switch to the DTS 5.1 sound track and it did not fail.

Hi.  I have and cannot reproduce a problem.  None of my DTS-HD MA items have any issues and this is also reported by many other users so, whatever this is, must be environmental or related to certain media or settings.  That's what we're trying to discover.

Bill LeDuc

You didn’t say you were unable to replicate the problem which led me to believe you had not done any testing. As to my environment, I have a Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 with the latest Experience update. I'm playing videos ripped to MKV using makeMKV which is an exact replica of the Blu-ray. The version of the Emby app is 3.2.58. Using Emby server for Windows 4.7.5 running on an I7 NUC11.  Because my environment is so standard that would leaves the media. I did more testing and found some DTS HD Master tracks fail and others do not. I have attached MediaInfo output of each file. I do not see significant differences in the files maybe you will. The files are from a variety of sources not just makeMKV ripped files.

MediaInfo output.txt

My guess is it is the audio bitrate.  The two that fail are 2884 and 3900.  Standard is 1500 (1.5Mb).

Bill LeDuc

Yes. I am still having the problem. Nothing has changed that would fix the problem. 

ebr, are you saying that skipping forward is failing because it's not the standard bitrate or that these are unsupported bitrates?

DTS-HD Master doesn't have a standard bitrate. Bitrate is calculated by multiplying the sample frequency x bit depth X # channels and the specification allows up to 24 bit depth and 192 kHz sample frequency so the bitrate can get much higher that 1.5 mb/s. 

The specification states: A DTS-HD MA bitstream may have a bitrate no greater than 24.5 Mbit/s (instantaneous), of which no greater than 1.5 Mbit/s may be lossy DTS (as per the DTS CA specification). 

So you may be confusing the DTS lossy part of the specification. DTS-HD Masters files are created by generating the DTS lossy part and then saving that with the information that was throne away creating the lossy part.

Hi.  I was just saying that most DTS-HD soundtracks are 1.5 - or at least were for the first several years.  From your samples, it looks like it starts to have trouble around 2.9.  That is the only thing that is different in the videos so I'm guessing that is it.  It could be a defect or deficiency in either the player or decoder implementation.

Bill LeDuc

I reported a playback issue maybe 2 years ago about the inability to playback high bitrate videos. in this situation playback failed from the beginning and had nothing to do with skipping ahead. I reported I had to use Kodi to play the video which was not an optimal solution. If Kodi can play it back them Emby should be able to fix its internal player. But, I was apparently ignored.

That failure looked very similar to what I see with the skipping failure. A shuddering video playback. Audio maybe ok. Attached is the MediaInfo output from that high bitrate video. You will find that it is common for concert videos to have high bitrate audio which in this case has a sample rate of 96kHz and a bit depth 24 bits - which is Hi-res audio.

Mediainfo output 2.txt

austinluck

I'm also having this issue. I have an nvidia shield 2019 pro that used to fwd rewind no problem, but now it hangs and I have to restart emby. Changed in the app or server to cause this because it used to work.