can't fast forward / rewind a video

horstepipe

horstepipe
2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Both the ATV and standard apps can use thumbnail/bif files to skip if you have the server set to create them. 

yes, as I said this works on Android TV (although I don't let the server create thumbnails.

Just click FF to scroll the timeline quickly in 10 second increments.

It is 30 seconds here, not sure whether you can adjust that or why it is different here. Whatever exactly this doesn't work here on Android TV/FireOS if I press the button multiple times (seeking more than 2 minutes or so.

@Mascarade @OmniiOMEGA @Danrollo can you still confirm the issue is also present on your setup?

If yes, could you please post that information:

- Emby Server version | Here: 4.7.4.0 Ubuntu 20.04

- Access to server remote or local | Here: remote

- On which client devices occurs the issue, what Emby version is running there? | Here: Nvidia Shield, Fire TV 4K, 2.0.77

- Thumbnail creation in use? | Here: no

- nginx in use? | Here: yes

- cloudflare in use? | Here: yes

I'll test it without nginx and cloudflare to make sure this is not the problem and report back.

Edited by horstepipe

FrostByte

Ok, I create thumbnails which are 10 secs apart.  Both Android apps allow you to press FF and it scrolls.  Maybe it doesn't work as well without the thumbs, not sure.

• Thanks 1

horstepipe
1 hour ago, horstepipe said:

I'll test it without nginx and cloudflare to make sure this is not the problem and report back.

okay sorry folks, when I bypass cloudflare/nginx it works.

@pir8radiodo you see the same, any idea how to fix that?

@ebrvideo caching is disabled at cloudflare and I'm using pir8radio's nginx config.

Edited by horstepipe

horstepipe

BUT it works with the Android mobile app with nginx and cloudflare.

So whatever the difference is there, can I expect that this will come to the Android TV app too, so basically I just need to wait for that?

4 hours ago, horstepipe said:

So whatever the difference is there, can I expect that this will come to the Android TV app too, so basically I just need to wait for that?

Or just use the standard Android app if that is working for you.

horstepipe
10 hours ago, ebr said:

Or just use the standard Android app if that is working for you.

sure but there are two downsides:

- it has to be sideloaded

- it general feels choppy, not as responsive as the Android TV app.

So this won't come to the Android TV / Fire OS app? My family members all have Fire TV Sticks where the problem also occurs.

Edited by horstepipe

5 hours ago, horstepipe said:

So this won't come to the Android TV / Fire OS app? My family members all have Fire TV Sticks where the problem also occurs.

We are working on unifying the apps so working on whatever issues you are having with the standard app will probably be the best course of action.

• Thanks 1

horstepipe
2 hours ago, ebr said:

We are working on unifying the apps so working on whatever issues you are having with the standard app will probably be the best course of action.

sorry I am not 100% sure what you mean by that statement. The standard (mobile) app isn't available for fireOS is it?

pir8radio
On 6/21/2022 at 10:44 AM, horstepipe said:

okay sorry folks, when I bypass cloudflare/nginx it works.

@pir8radiodo you see the same, any idea how to fix that?

@ebrvideo caching is disabled at cloudflare and I'm using pir8radio's nginx config.

figure anything out?   tried using my guest login on my server?   see if you see the same issue?   

• Thanks 1

horstepipe
9 hours ago, pir8radio said:

figure anything out?   tried using my guest login on my server?   see if you see the same issue?   

Hey

unfortunately not. Tried with developer mode at Cloudflare, no change. Same behavior on your server with the Android TV app.

edit: Same on Fire OS with the Android TV app.

Edited by horstepipe

5 hours ago, horstepipe said:

The TV app is already in the Amazon store.  Did you mean with the Android standard app?

horstepipe
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

The TV app is already in the Amazon store.  Did you mean with the Android standard app?

no.

The problem occurs with the tv app on Shield and on Fire OS.

The problem does not occur with the Android standard app on Shield and on Fire OS.

Sorry for confusion.

horstepipe

hum unfortunately the workaround by using chapters doesn't always work as lots of shows do not have chapters.

In kodi there were default chapters created if none were present, but there isn't an option in Emby for that is it?

Edited by horstepipe

24 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

but there isn't an option in Emby for that is it?

Hi.  Yes there is.

If you turn on the chapter option, default 5 min chapters will be created if there are none defined in the file.

horstepipe
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

If you turn on the chapter option

sorry, but where do I find that?

horstepipe
24 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

ok I guess you mean "Enable Thumbnail Image Creation".

if that is it what you talked about, it seems to be globally disabled if you use strm files. I enabled it for a library and ran the scheduled task -> nothing happened and the task finished "taking 0 seconds".

I understand that this was totally disabled for strm files some years ago, but some default thumbnails without images should be available here too.

Thanks

Edited by horstepipe

• 4 weeks later...
shredfiend

I'm late to this thread but I'd been having the same issue where fast forwarding in Emby on a Fire stick would hang and force exiting and resuming the video. Clearing the cache and the data for the Emby app on the Fire fixed it for me. Works well now. Whether that will be required periodically is to be seen. 

My config has the Fire and my Emby server connected via Ethernet to my LAN. No software/proxies in between.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shredfiend said:

Clearing the cache and the data for the Emby app on the Fire fixed it for me.

That's interesting anyone else tried that?

horstepipe
On 6/23/2022 at 9:56 AM, horstepipe said:

Hey

unfortunately not. Tried with developer mode at Cloudflare, no change. Same behavior on your server with the Android TV app.

@pir8radio any idea why it works on android mobile but not on android tv when cloudflare is in the middle?

horstepipe
14 hours ago, ebr said:

That's interesting anyone else tried that?

just tried it, no difference.

But here the problem is definitely Cloudflare, it works when I bypass it. But when using the Android mobile version it also works when using Cloudflare.

I'd like to know the difference in this case between these apps.

10 hours ago, horstepipe said:

I'd like to know the difference in this case between these apps.

The network layers in use are different.

• Thanks 1