can't fast forward / rewind a video

horstepipe

horstepipe

Hello

since some time on Android TV and on FireOS, I am not able to regurlarly fast forward or rewind through a video.

So when a video starts and I'm pressing the right button some times, the cursor goes to the desired position but the video completely hangs.

BUT if I go to the chapter editor by pressing the up button and selecting a chapter it works absolutely fine, except I tried the "normal" seeking via right/left button before.

Inapp log sent at 15:27 (Germany)

Best regards

• Like 1

Hi.  That sounds like high latency of some sort.  I see it is a remote connection.  Is this your own server or someone else's?  What is the connection speed at both ends?

Mascarade
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  That sounds like high latency of some sort.  I see it is a remote connection.  Is this your own server or someone else's?  What is the connection speed at both ends?

i have same issue, its not a latency issue and it only seems to have appeared since latest Android version on both Fire TV and Nvidia shield!

When you try and fast forward or rewind a considerably amount the content will hang completely! you then need to stop the content and resume and it will play the content fine again from the location it previously hanged up at.

I have tested the exact same content (and many other content) on the Emby ipad app and the web app (google chrome) and the issue doesnt appear at all!

I have used emby for over a year with no issues with rewinding or fast forwarding prior to the exact moment of the latest emby version became available! are you sure there isn't a bug with the new timeline seeking on android clients?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mascarade said:

are you sure there isn't a bug with the new timeline seeking on android clients?

Hi.  That functionality is not new in this app.  It has been there for several versions.

horstepipe
16 hours ago, ebr said:

It is my own remote server, connection speeds are fine. Also other users reported the issue.

There is cloudflare and nginx in between, so I'll test without it and report back.

But as @Mascarade says, this issue doesn't happen on other client types.

Edited by horstepipe

horstepipe

could any other user with a remote server but without cloudflare and/or nginx also try if he/she has time?

4 hours ago, horstepipe said:

There is cloudflare and nginx in between, so I'll test without it and report back.

CF has been known to cause issues.  Make sure its caching is turned off for your video files.

• Thanks 1

Mascarade
14 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  That functionality is not new in this app.  It has been there for several versions.

ok thanks, can you please test on your end with the android tv or fire tv app to see if you can replicate the issue me and the other user are having! as stated it does not happen on other clients apart from android so i dont think his CF settings would just affect one specific application of emby and not the others? thanks.

Just now, Mascarade said:

so i dont think his CF settings would just affect one specific application of emby and not the others?

Hi.  We have actually seen this to be the case in the past.  Not sure it is his issue but we have seen CF manifest problems only in the TV apps.  Perhaps because they are looking for specific devices and behaving differently.

horstepipe
3 hours ago, Mascarade said:

ok thanks, can you please test on your end with the android tv or fire tv app to see if you can replicate the issue me and the other user are having! as stated it does not happen on other clients apart from android so i dont think his CF settings would just affect one specific application of emby and not the others? thanks.

So you also use cloudflare or don’t?

Mascarade
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We have actually seen this to be the case in the past.  Not sure it is his issue but we have seen CF manifest problems only in the TV apps.  Perhaps because they are looking for specific devices and behaving differently.

ok i just tried on the apple tv app and the problem does not occur! i am also not using Cloudflare . Are you saying you can use latest version of emby fire tv or android for tv app and it doesnt hang if for example you fast forward 30 minutes later into any content?

Mascarade

I decided to try sideload the previous version of emby for android tv 2.0.48g on my nvidia shield and can confirm that the problem doesnt exist on this version! i can rewind and fast forward with no hangups whatsoever, i then updated again to the latest version and the problem is back unfortunately.

8 hours ago, Mascarade said:

I decided to try sideload the previous version of emby for android tv 2.0.48g on my nvidia shield and can confirm that the problem doesnt exist on this version! i can rewind and fast forward with no hangups whatsoever, i then updated again to the latest version and the problem is back unfortunately.

Does this only happen with exoplayer on the latest version? Or does it also happen with an external player, like VLC?

FrostByte
3 hours ago, Mascarade said:

the arm version of standard emby for android (not android for tv) on nvidia shield?

Yes, he's asking if you could test the standard app which is compatible with Android TV devices also.

horstepipe

The problem does NOT occur on Android Mobile App on shield (also using cloudflare and nginx)

Mascarade
23 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and let us know how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks !

tried that app and the issue does not occur! seems theres only 2 apps it does occur on which are latest emby for android tv app and the latest fire tv app! I have tried previous versions of both those apps and then issue goes away.

21 minutes ago, Mascarade said:

tried that app and the issue does not occur! seems theres only 2 apps it does occur on which are latest emby for android tv app and the latest fire tv app! I have tried previous versions of both those apps and then issue goes away.

Great.  Thanks.

Mascarade
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Great.  Thanks.

do you think you can fix in another release? should i just use the previous versions of emby for android tv and fire tv for now? just wondering if this will affect device unlocks.