can't fast forward / rewind a video

horstepipe

Mascarade
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I would use the standard app for now.

ok thanks, can i ask what the difference is between the emby for android and the android tv app when used on a device like nvidia shield.

Mascarade

does the emby for android app work sideloaded on fire tv as a band aid fix until the firetv and emby for android tv apps are working again?

Mascarade
1 hour ago, Luke said:

It's a fully supported app so I wouldn't call it a bandaid

yes, when used on native non tv android devices, fire tv and android tv have their own emby apps for some reason i would imagine? thus the bandaid comment until the official apps for those devices are sorted.

I know it seems that way given that we have two apps, but we're actually the outlier here. Most apps are in the store nowadays are the same app for all screen sizes

Mascarade
5 hours ago, Luke said:

I know it seems that way given that we have two apps, but we're actually the outlier here. Most apps are in the store nowadays are the same app for all screen sizes

thanks, another update! The rewind and fast forward bug is gone on latest android for tv version when use external player for videos is selected and using either VLC or MX Player. So seems the condition that this bug occurs is embys native player while using the latest emby for android tv and fire tv apps. Hope this helps.

Mascarade

this issue is still not fixed by emby unfortunately so im reposting the bandaid fix for other users with the problem:-

Emby's latest update 2.0.70g version is bugged on both Android for TV clients and Fire Tv clients! what will happen is when you fast forward or rewind a show it will hang completely and force you to close the content you are watching and start it again!

Unfortunately it seems the issue is ONLY related to emby's internal player on these clients as every external player i have used with emby 2.0.70g completely fixes the issue.

Here are the current fixes and the issues with them:-

Removing emby for android tv 2.070g and sideloading emby for android tv2.0.48 (the previous version) fixes the issue even when using the internal player! the issue you then get is that you can't actually get past the device unlock due to either emby for android tv still being completely absent from the app store or it not being possible to do device unlock on sideloads.

You can also sideload emby for Android (the mobile version) and this will also fix the android for tv bug but once again you will get the device unlock issue and the bigger issue is the app just looks very basic and not great on a device like nvidia shield! (yes i have turned on tv mode in the app and it still looks like an app that should be on a samsung galaxy not a 65" tv)

So the best workaround i could find for now was to actually use Android for tv 2.0.70g, go into your emby playback settings and select use external player for videos! then go to your app store and download VLC player. Now you can rewind and fast forward as normal and playback content with no issues! Its not really ideal for the normal user and im not sure why i had to go through so many hoops myself while emby was saying it was possibly issues with cloudflare without even really looking into the problems themselves.

• Thanks 1

OmniiOMEGA
On 15/04/2022 at 19:37, horstepipe said:

The problem does NOT occur on Android Mobile App on shield (also using cloudflare and nginx)

I beg to differ if you’re saying it doesn’t occur in the NVIDIA SHIELD TV?

I have the same issue on this post where I cannot fast forward or rewind it just freezes Emby. I’ve had to revert to previous version to get it to work.

Danrollo

I'm also having this issue while trying to view on Sony TV - I can skip while using external player, but its not ideal as it doesn't remember where I'm up to if i only watch half a movie.

Hopefully there is a fix soon, this is very frustrating.

horstepipe
On 4/23/2022 at 12:57 AM, OmniiOMEGA said:

I beg to differ if you’re saying it doesn’t occur in the NVIDIA SHIELD TV?

I have the same issue on this post where I cannot fast forward or rewind it just freezes Emby. I’ve had to revert to previous version to get it to work.

I do NOT see the issue with the android MOBILE version on the shield. This is not the Android TV version which can be downloaded via the playstore. With the default android tv version, I'm seeing the issue 🙂

6 hours ago, horstepipe said:

I do NOT see the issue with the android MOBILE version on the shield. This is not the Android TV version which can be downloaded via the playstore. With the default android tv version, I'm seeing the issue 🙂

that's a good sign because ultimately the TV app will get the same updates. Thanks.

horstepipe
18 hours ago, Luke said:

that's a good sign because ultimately the TV app will get the same updates. Thanks.

yeah not sure...

in the mobile app there is no way getting to a desired point. you can just skip 30 seconds. And skipping 30 seconds also works in the android tv app, as it generally works there within buffered zone.

Removing emby for android tv 2.070g and sideloading emby for android tv2.0.48 (the previous version) fixes the issue even when using the internal player! the issue you then get is that you can't actually get past the device unlock due to either emby for android tv still being completely absent from the app store or it not being possible to do device unlock on sideloads.

I use Emby on Android TV set and connect to an Emby Premier server.

If I remove 2.0.70g from my Android TV set, and then sideload 2.0.48 on my Android TV set, will I lose, or will I keep, the device unlock when connected to the Emby Premier server that I connect to?

54 minutes ago, 4KFTW said:

will I keep, the device unlock when connected to the Emby Premier server that I connect to?

Hi.  If you are connected to an Emby Premiere server, then everything should work just fine.  

• 2 weeks later...
OldNorse

I know it doesn’t help much but am not getting this issue on a shield or Sony android tv or a Philips android tv not running any proxy latest Emby server stable latest android TV app stable.

Emby settings changed

max streaming bitrate 21Mbits

player buffer Large  

server settings all default.

horstepipe
1 hour ago, OldNorse said:

I know it doesn’t help much but am not getting this issue on a shield or Sony android tv or a Philips android tv not running any proxy latest Emby server stable latest android TV app stable.

Emby settings changed

max streaming bitrate 21Mbits

player buffer Large  

server settings all default.

Afaik the problem was just introduced in the current beta cycle.

OldNorse
3 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

Afaik the problem was just introduced in the current beta cycle.

Am on version 2.0 70g I assumed that was a stable release.

horstepipe
4 hours ago, OldNorse said:

Am on version 2.0 70g I assumed that was a stable release.

Yeah sorry didn’t notice that this release was pushed to stable. Will test with your settings here again.

• 1 month later...
horstepipe
On 4/25/2022 at 7:00 PM, Luke said:

Is there any update on this?

I'm still seeing this with Android TV beta 2.0.77. As this is quite a basic feature I'm wondering whether it is being looked into.

In case that you overread that:

In the mobile app there is no way getting to a desired point. you can just skip 30 seconds. And skipping 30 seconds also works in the android tv app, as it generally works there within buffered zone

So because of that I can't be sure whether skipping e.g. 20 minutes would work in the Android MOBILE app.

Best regards

Edited by horstepipe

FrostByte
5 hours ago, horstepipe said:

I'm still seeing this with Android TV beta 2.0.77. As this is quite a basic feature I'm wondering whether it is being looked into.

In case that you overread that:

So because of that I can't be sure whether skipping e.g. 20 minutes would work in the Android MOBILE app.

Best regards

Timeline forwarding using bifs was added to the standard Android app back in February.

horstepipe
12 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Timeline forwarding using bifs was added to the standard Android app back in February.

Sorry, but what is meant by „using bifs“?

Whatever it still doesn’t work here using Android TV, except I‘m using the chapter overview for skipping.

I can confirm that issue again by bypassing cloudflare and nginx if you want me to.

FrostByte

Both the ATV and standard apps can use thumbnail/bif files to skip if you have the server set to create them.  Just click FF to scroll the timeline quickly in 10 second increments.

6 hours ago, horstepipe said:

I'm still seeing this with Android TV beta 2.0.77

Have you updated your Shield with the latest beta hotfix of their firmware? 

horstepipe
19 minutes ago, ebr said:

Have you updated your Shield with the latest beta hotfix of their firmware? 

Hey

no I'm not on beta on the shield firmware. Will try it out. Thanks