Jump to content

Emby Android TV app not available in Google Play Store


Jägs
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Recommended Posts

Edrock200
21 minutes ago, RandallC said:

Does anyone know how to load the apk onto a current gen Sony via USB?  I dropped the apk onto a stick, plugged it in....and now I'm not sure what to do.

 

Edit: Nevermind - I followed @Edrock200's excellent instructions above and was able to sideload via Downloader.  

Glad it worked for you bud!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Junglejim

Wow, this is news to me. I've had the Android TV app installed on my Sony TV for years now and it updated to v2.0.70g a couple of weeks ago. (nice release by the way)

I'm sure they will work it out, just be patient.. it's the google play store we are dealing with here. :)

As for side loading that's up to you. Personally it's not my thing.. but if it works for you go for it!

 

Edited by Junglejim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DonMacaroni

Sideloading on Android TV's depends on device manufacturer, on some (like Shield) it is very easy and on some (like Philips TV's) it can be really difficult.
Especially on Philips TV's you have to jump through burning loops to even get APK into device and then install it.

For some reason Phlips does not trust their customers (pun intended) and does not provide easy option like Sony.
In fact quite opposite they are removed all relevant options from menus and also restricted built-in filebrowser to media files only.

Edited by DonMacaroni
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've always used a File Manager app on the device, such as X-Plore.

Save the APK to my server that runs Emby, then access it over my local network via X-Plore. 

Takes all of 2 minutes to install the latest APK.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edrock200

I think the long pole in the tent is those that require their unlock license from the play store.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

rbjtech
2 hours ago, CBers said:

I've always used a File Manager app on the device, such as X-Plore.

Save the APK to my server that runs Emby, then access it over my local network via X-Plore. 

Takes all of 2 minutes to install the latest APK.
 

That assumes you can use X-Plore @CBers;)

Panasonic (and by the looks of Philips too) restrict ANY access to the play store, thus you have to side load with USB or use the web browser to get the APK and a few 'hacks' to get it to install as there certainly isn't an option to 'allow untrusted' APK's on these devices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bullite

I have no doubt the reason the app was removed from the Play store in the first place is because Emby collects payments externally, avoiding Google fees.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

That assumes you can use X-Plore @CBers;)

Panasonic (and by the looks of Philips too) restrict ANY access to the play store, thus you have to side load with USB or use the web browser to get the APK and a few 'hacks' to get it to install as there certainly isn't an option to 'allow untrusted' APK's on these devices.

There's no access to the Google Play Store on a Panny TV?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FrostByte
1 hour ago, Edrock200 said:

I think the long pole in the tent is those that require their unlock license from the play store.

There is another option.  Sideload the standard Android app until the store gets figured out.  The Android app doesn't require an unlock for watching media.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rbjtech
27 minutes ago, CBers said:

There's no access to the Google Play Store on a Panny TV?

Correct - they use their own 'Panny Approved Apps' Store - peeved me off no end when I found out.  Of course, Emby is not in there - so had to sideload with USB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DonMacaroni
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Panasonic (and by the looks of Philips too) restrict ANY access to the play store, thus you have to side load with USB or use the web browser to get the APK and a few 'hacks' to get it to install as there certainly isn't an option to 'allow untrusted' APK's on these devices.

Google Play store is available on Philips TV’s, but there are very few filemanagers (and even less decent ones) that you can actually install via Play store. For example, my personal favourite Total Commander cannot be installed via store, as it will tell you that your device is unsupported and it won’t even show up if you are browsing store via TV.

My personal process involves “hacking” Total Commander and it’s LAN plugin APK (obtained from developer website) into Philips TV, installing these and then I can already access my NAS or open/run/install all sorts of APK’s (including Emby) via Total Commander from USB.

Dialog to allow untrusted sources will pop up, when you try to actually sideload your first APK. Only difficult thing would be to get that first APK, preferrably somesort of decent filemanager into device and sideloaded. ;)

Edited by DonMacaroni
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

rbjtech
1 minute ago, DonMacaroni said:

Google Play store is available on Philips TV’s, but there are very few filemanagers that you can actually install via Play store.

My personal process involves “hacking” Total Commander and it’s LAN plugin APK into Philips TV, installing these and then I can already access my NAS or open/run/install all sorts of APK’s (including Emby) via Total Commander.

Dialog to allow untrusted sources will pop up, when you try to actually sideload your first APK. Only difficult thing would be to get that first APK, preferrably somesort of decent filemanager into device and sideloaded. ;)

Exactly ! Panny's have no Google Play Store at all - so I had to first sideload X-Plore, and then use that to load the Emby APK - it does prompt you to allow the APK so at least there is that.  Since installing the Emby APK, it's worked perfectly well daily for months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DonMacaroni
2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

There is another option.  Sideload the standard Android app until the store gets figured out.  The Android app doesn't require an unlock for watching media.

Thats odd, as mine does display overlay, that my Trial will expire soon… 🤔

I did grab APK from Emby homepage, Android TV section though, so I am pretty sure I have official client.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FrostByte
3 minutes ago, DonMacaroni said:

Thats odd, as mine does display overlay, that my Trial will expire soon… 🤔

I did grab APK from Emby homepage, Android TV section though, so I am pretty sure I have official client.

Try the one from the "Android" section.  Eventually the two apps are getting combined.

Emby for Android - Emby

version is 3.2.44

Link to comment
Share on other sites

th3_d0c

Any updates to this?  Just bought a new Chromecast with Google tv.  Or at least a timeline?

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FrostByte
15 minutes ago, th3_d0c said:

Any updates to this?  Just bought a new Chromecast with Google tv.  Or at least a timeline?

 

Thanks!

 

On 3/29/2022 at 8:38 AM, ebr said:

We will let you know as soon as we do.

Thanks.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The situation is likely to go into next week. We'll let you know when it's back up. Thanks guys.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bullite said:

I have no doubt the reason the app was removed from the Play store in the first place is because Emby collects payments externally, avoiding Google fees.

That is incorrect.  We follow all their rules on this - no different from Netflix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

flipmode009

well i thought i was crazy, i just started and bought lifetime. nvidia shiled loaded just fine, then went a few days later and no emby. but glad its just a bug lol. i was so confused why one had and one didnt. must have just gotten the first one loaded before it happened

Link to comment
Share on other sites

josaarden

Not working anymore from the post that Edrock200 gave us. It's asking for a premiere account.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Damn deleted the Android TV app for a fresh install, only to find that the app is not in the play store anymore... cr*p.

 

Is there any change of this app getting back in the play store?

Is there a way to get the app on the TV without Play store? (I have a Philips 480LED806/12 AndroidTv)

 

This really is a dealbreaker for me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Marc0 said:

Damn deleted the Android TV app for a fresh install, only to find that the app is not in the play store anymore... cr*p.

 

Is there any change of this app getting back in the play store?

Is there a way to get the app on the TV without Play store? (I have a Philips 480LED806/12 AndroidTv)

 

This really is a dealbreaker for me!

Apks for both of our Android apps can be found on our website for side loading until they are back in the store.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Luke said:

Apks for both of our Android apps can be found on our website for side loading until they are back in the store.

Thanks but I'll be using the built in Chromecast and stream to the TV from the iPhone. This is a 100% good alternative 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...