Emby Android TV app not available in Google Play Store

Jägs
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

syralk
1 minute ago, CBers said:

Never use a 3rd party website, as you'll never know if the are clean or have been infected with spy/malware. 

Amazon app store is pretty safe 😊

Edited by syralk
  • Agree 1

openprivacy

Just want to say that I appreciate the work the Emby developers have done (are doing) and I look forward to Emby being reinstated in the Google store.

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, mike3821 said:

Without reading this entire thread. Why was it pulled from the Android store?

Previous page would've been enough:

16 hours ago, syralk said:

Amazon app store is pretty safe 😊

Hi.  You should not run the Amazon APK on a Google device, however.

• Like 1

Marc0
On 4/2/2022 at 11:24 PM, DonMacaroni said:

There is, this is how I did it for my new Philips 55OLED706/12, requires Android phone though.

1. Install Send files to TV - Apps on Google Play into your TV and Android Phone
  2. Download Emby APK from here: Emby for Android TV - Emby (into your Phone)
  3. Send Emby APK from your phone to your TV, via Send files to TV app.
  4. Choose open APK on your TV from Send files to TV app and you will see prompt to "allow installation from untrusted sources".
  5. Allow Send files to TV as an source and install Emby APK.
  6. (Optional) Download Total Commander APK, from developer website: Total Commander - Android (ghisler.com) (direct link to universal APK) into your phone
  7. (Optional) Send Total Commander APK from your phone to your TV via Send files to TV app.
  8. (Optional) Choose open TC APK, you just sent on your TV, from Send files to TV app and install Total Commander
  9. (Optional) Feel free to install/copy/delete whatever you wish, from now on via Total Commander from various storage devices.
  10. (optional) You can uninstall Send files to TV from your devices, you no longer need it after you have installed Total Commander.

I basically Installed Total Commander + LAN plugin for Total Commander via Send files to TV app,
uninstalled Send files to TV app (as I no longer need it) and sideloaded all other APK's from my NAS SMB share via Total Commander.

Downside is, that you do need somesort of an Android phone, to get going.
I used my old backup phone for that, switched to iPhones 4 years ago.

Extra:

Download fx explorer on your tv after installing emby this way. And delete the orphan installation file of emby from your Tv. ( Hint: foldername is storage)

Hawkwinter
16 hours ago, ebr said:

*surprised-face*
Good to know. I have previously backed up apps from my shield and then transferred the apk to my fire-tv and installed them, and that seemed to work fine. I would not have expected that to break in the other direction. There's some sort of Amazon-required DRM functionality that wouldn't work on a different brand of Android TV, I assume?

I installed the apk last week on my shield via aptoide. Been using it occasionally for the past 8 years without any of virus problems other people seem to be worried about. It's working fine. Only issue I have had is that videos seem to crash if I use my bluetooth-keyboard-remote with it - but so long as I use my official shield remote with a non-replaceable battery that now won't charge that only works while plugged in, it behaves. I haven't tried it with a videogame controller - but I will experiment with that next before I shell out for a crappy aftermarket remote or pay a fortune for a replacement shield remote.

I paid the $5 for the monthly premiere to try it out. Didn't realize there was ever a trial activation for the app.

Edited by Hawkwinter

arche

I've been gone for awhile and just noticed this when trying to install on a new device only to find some other Emby app in the play store, threw me off cause I thought maybe Emby changed their logo. Hopefully that other Emby app doesn't interfere with this Emby app getting back into the store. Thanks for the update, will side load.

1 hour ago, arche said:

I've been gone for awhile and just noticed this when trying to install on a new device only to find some other Emby app in the play store, threw me off cause I thought maybe Emby changed their logo. Hopefully that other Emby app doesn't interfere with this Emby app getting back into the store. Thanks for the update, will side load.

Hi, what other Emby?

troyhough
On 4/9/2022 at 1:53 PM, Luke said:

Hi ,yes, apk's are available on our website for both android apps:

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

https://emby.media/emby-for-android-tv.html

@Luke can you put the version number on the download page so users know what the latest version is and whether or not they should download it? An alternate option would be to put the version in the filename. Thanks

vdatanet
38 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, what other Emby?

It has nothing to do with it, it seems to be some kind of chat:

1155083341_Screenshot_20220411-180303_GooglePlayStore.thumb.jpg.3249e68eccca6db953db167122fb17b3.jpg

• Like 1

arche
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, what other Emby?

1 hour ago, vdatanet said:

It has nothing to do with it, it seems to be some kind of chat:

Yeah, sorry. I was referring to name only. Never had seen this app before. Sorry for the confusion.

Seger
18 minutes ago, slevin7 said:

I think yes, as long as the app has disappeared from the PlayStore, you should use the AFTV downloader to install the Emby apk.
https://www.aftvnews.com/downloader/

Is in my eyes the easiest way 

Is it correct that a separate app is installed without an icon, which has to be set up again? At least that's how it works for me. This is not a good way for multiple devices. Stupid situation, as in the last version the bug was not to play AVI files. I think we have to be patient, or am I seeing something wrong?

Many greetings
Seger

17 minutes ago, Seger said:

Is it correct that a separate app is installed without an icon, which has to be set up again? At least that's how it works for me. This is not a good way for multiple devices. Stupid situation, as in the last version the bug was not to play AVI files. I think we have to be patient, or am I seeing something wrong?

Many greetings
Seger

Hi, yes we are working on getting the app back into the store and will let everyone know when the situation is resolved. Thanks.

• Like 1

rooser11

@Luke for those who used the app unlock feature and who had to reset their android tv, what's the recourse?  will installing new apk off your website allow those users to play without premiere? 

edit: don't bother answering my question.  just saw ebr's comment that he reset the trial period for everyone for now.  thx.

Edited by rooser11

Edrock200
On 4/10/2022 at 10:04 AM, ebr said:

Why is that? Amazon publishes instructions for loading it on a Android based phone.

Sul6n81

Hello,

I just bought new TCL Tv and I couldn't find emby in google store.!!

Is it removed by Emby themselves!! 

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, Sul6n81 said:

Hello,

I just bought new TCL Tv and I couldn't find emby in google store.!!

Is it removed by Emby themselves!! 

merged to existing topic.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:16 AM, ebr said:

Okay, so the only reason we have stayed silent on the details until now is because we think that our users complaining to Google about the issue may only make matters worse.  So, please, do not complain directly to Google.  Let us deal with this through proper channels.

I have had discussions related to both our device limits and certain features that we feel cater directly to only the illegal use of our platform with many users and stated how the store operators have all the power.  We can be removed at a whim by any of them.  Many of you have argued with me that that is a silly concern.  I've also pointed out how the stores don't fully understand what we are and, in many cases, just don't care to.

The net of the current situation is that someone was discovered using our platform to distribute content illegally.  The owner of the content reported our app as violating their copyright and Google immediately suspended us.  No matter that we are not responsible for this nor does our app actually provide any content.  With the very vague understanding of these details by the people in charge, the mere hint of anything "off" is enough.  We have recourse, supposedly, but they have a rather long time to respond to it.  We should be nearing the end of that time and will, hopefully, be re-instated soon.  If not, we'll have to see what our next steps are to prove to them that our app is not hosting this content. 

I'll re-iterate - a bunch of our users complaining will likely just make matters worse so please do not do that.  We will let you know when we have any more information.  Google has been completely silent for almost two weeks now.

Thanks.

Edited by Happy2Play
reason

chrysler300

Hi!

How do I Update Emby on my two Nvidia Shield TV boxes?(not server NAS,...the Client,player)

Cant find emby in Playstore!

What do I do!

Regards