embyforkodi (next-gen) 7.X.X support

quickmic

Onana

Hi

I am done with this plugin. 
For me it’s enough.

This plugin is in development for 2? / 3? Years now, and it goes to the 3rd version and we never have a suficiente stable edition to use on a daily basis.

Always problems, bugs, crashes.

I appreciate the work of the developer, but he keeps changing the way how database evolves/interact with emby server and we never have a stable release.

Good bye

quickmic
2 hours ago, Onana said:

Hi

I am done with this plugin. 
For me it’s enough.

This plugin is in development for 2? / 3? Years now, and it goes to the 3rd version and we never have a suficiente stable edition to use on a daily basis.

Always problems, bugs, crashes.

I appreciate the work of the developer, but he keeps changing the way how database evolves/interact with emby server and we never have a stable release.

Good bye

6.2.15 is stable, otherwise I would get dozens of issue reports. And each database restructure is mostly related to user feature requests. e.g. last one was due to too long filenames for some filesystems and 3rd party subtitle downloaders didn't work in some cases.

As explained, your reported issue is also an edge case. I have a music collection of 365.598 songs, 44.272 albums and 36.478 artists and no sync issue at all.

I know it can be frustrating. If I cannot reproduce an issue, I'm need debug logs from users.

However, you can always use one of the other Kodi plugins.

quickmic

New version available 7.0.1-build 53

Delta changelog:

fix wrong assigned song album and corresponding TVShow issues
fix library repair sync
fix progress bar issue
fix threading issue

Comment:

Please let me know if sleep mode has no issues, especially on Android.

dolbel

Hi quickmic,

can you please add landscape art also to box sets in your next version, like for movies? I changed it by myself, but don't want to do this every time you make an update. Or is there a reason why you don't want that? Thank you 😀

"BoxSet": {'Primary': ('poster',), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb', 'landscape')}

• Thanks 1

quickmic
11 minutes ago, dolbel said:

Hi quickmic,

can you please add landscape art also to box sets in your next version, like for movies? I changed it by myself, but don't want to do this every time you make an update. Or is there a reason why you don't want that? Thank you 😀

"BoxSet": {'Primary': ('poster',), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb', 'landscape')}

No reason, I'll add landscape but probably some skins could have issues. Anyway, I'm sure people will report if this is the case, but I don't think it will break the artwork.

Edited by quickmic
  • Thanks 1

quickmic
On 5/1/2022 at 10:52 PM, Weevillo said:

You're correct in your assumption that I have real-time monitoring on (not really real time if we're to be precise). I don't know, or more like I haven't observed, how Sonarr performs this operation. I'd assume it confirms that the new episode is downloaded, deletes the old one in the destination folder and replaces it with the newly downloaded one. Your theory seems to hold up in that the server understands that "Ah, this is a new version of the same episode. I'll update the entry" while Kodi's like "Looks like they added a new entry of the same episode".

For me, a non-programmer, it seems like Kodi just needs to understand that it's the same episode, just not the same file representing it. But I don't think I had this issue with Jellyfin for Kodi so it doesn't seem to be a problem on Kodi's side.

I've performed additional test, atill cannot reproduce the issue.

Was Kodi online or offline when the episode was replaced?

Weevillo
2 hours ago, quickmic said:

I've performed additional test, atill cannot reproduce the issue.

Was Kodi online or offline when the episode was replaced?

Can't remember for sure, but Kodi wasn't up and running on my Shield TV for most of the time when the updates happened. It was when it synced to the server that the duplicate episode(s) appeared.

• Like 1

embyL0VER

Hi @quickmic I'm just starting testing the 7.x version (latest) of your nice plugin. First let me say thumbs up for the beautiful new arrangement of the settings menu and the cool animated new logo - nice!

I'm running into trouble in the following usecase:

If you are installing the new plugin and cancel the first prompt to connect to an emby server let's say cause I want to setup the plugin first like I prefer, than restart Kodi it will show a emby-next-gen error popup and you can't manually add a new server connection. Only way is to reinstall the plugin. This does not happen if you deal with the first prompt and directly connect to a server.

• Like 1

quickmic
15 hours ago, embyL0VER said:

Hi @quickmic I'm just starting testing the 7.x version (latest) of your nice plugin. First let me say thumbs up for the beautiful new arrangement of the settings menu and the cool animated new logo - nice!

The logo is actually based on @spiritwarrior work. I just generated an animated gif (of course, with her/his permission). All credits to @spiritwarrior

I'm running into trouble in the following usecase:

If you are installing the new plugin and cancel the first prompt to connect to an emby server let's say cause I want to setup the plugin first like I prefer, than restart Kodi it will show a emby-next-gen error popup and you can't manually add a new server connection. Only way is to reinstall the plugin. This does not happen if you deal with the first prompt and directly connect to a server.

I tested this scenario (and several more). No issue found, but I'm already testing with a newer 7.x version. Maybe I've "accidentally" fixed the issue.

DiscoDuck79
On 4/30/2022 at 11:08 AM, DiscoDuck79 said:

I'm away from home and won't return for another 2 weeks, once I'm back I'll update and check.

On a side note. Would it be possible to add the build number to the addon.xml? Makes it easier to check installed version and build.

Back home and tested with 7.0.1-build 53

Now I can restart my docker container with Emby server and the clients receives updates without the need to restart kodi, so this issue seems to be fixed 😀

• Thanks 1

quickmic

New version available:

7.0.1-build 84

delta changelog:

some progress update improvements
improve dynamic query cache
minor fixes in custom node declaration
add landscape artwork to boxsets
fix sync pause infinite for edge cases

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

embyL0VER

Hi quickmic,

sadly with 7.0.1_84 movies will be marked as watched in Kodi if you watch them for a few minutes in emby and pause them.

DiscoDuck79
1 minute ago, embyL0VER said:

Hi quickmic,

sadly with 7.0.1_84 movies will be marked as watched in Kodi if you watch them for a few minutes in emby and pause them.

Was just about to report the same (I've tested a couple of tv episodes), I only get this error with Embuary - Estuary still seems to handle it "normal".

• Agree 1

quickmic
5 minutes ago, embyL0VER said:

Hi quickmic,

Will check

• Thanks 2

embyL0VER
1 minute ago, quickmic said:

Will check

Like DiscoDuck79, I have this with embuary skin.

• Like 1

DiscoDuck79
4 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Will check

Some more info

When I play an episode (#9) of show XYZ and skip to e.g. 10 minutes in and then stop Estuary puts a visible icon in the menu that looks something like "in progress" (half full circle), Embuary only have unwatched or marked as watched and uses the progress bar instead.

If I do as above in Estuary, then go back to the main menu, then into tvshow XYZ again it will mark episode #10 since I have set kodi to select next episode. It's a bit weird since the log states Played false

Spoiler
2022-05-13 13:30:29.456 T:3829     INFO <general>: EMBY.hooks.monitor: [ UserDataChanged ] [{'PlayedPercentage': 24.01612480142908, 'PlaybackPositionTicks': 6071430053, 'PlayCount': 1, 'IsFavorite': False, 'LastPlayedDate': '2022-05-13T11:30:10.0000000+00:00', 'Played': False, 'ItemId': '330661'}, {'UnplayedItemCount': 4, 'PlaybackPositionTicks': 0, 'PlayCount': 0, 'IsFavorite': False, 'Played': False, 'ItemId': '278241'}]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

quickmic

I see the problem. This was not an issue in previous version?

Emby reports (on pause):

[ UserDataChanged ] [{'PlaybackPositionTicks': 0, 'PlayCount': 1, 'IsFavorite': False, 'LastPlayedDate': '2022-05-13T11:36:55.0000000Z', 'Played': False, 'ItemId': '23821'}]

Playcount = 1 and that what the plugin uses as indicator is played.

Also PlaybackPositionTicks = 0 seems incorrect

After stop on Emby it's correct on Kodi.

I'll fix this soon

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

quickmic
11 minutes ago, DiscoDuck79 said:

Some more info

When I play an episode (#9) of show XYZ and skip to e.g. 10 minutes in and then stop Estuary puts a visible icon in the menu that looks something like "in progress" (half full circle), Embuary only have unwatched or marked as watched and uses the progress bar instead.

If I do as above in Estuary, then go back to the main menu, then into tvshow XYZ again it will mark episode #10 since I have set kodi to select next episode. It's a bit weird since the log states Played false

No I don't use Embuary skin, but the circle sounds like a progress indicator. Can you check it please. -> try 30% 70% watched and check if the circle matches the progress.

Edited by quickmic

DiscoDuck79
3 minutes ago, quickmic said:

I see the problem. This was not an issue in previous version?

Emby reports (on pause):

[ UserDataChanged ] [{'PlaybackPositionTicks': 0, 'PlayCount': 1, 'IsFavorite': False, 'LastPlayedDate': '2022-05-13T11:36:55.0000000Z', 'Played': False, 'ItemId': '23821'}]

Playcount = 1 and that what the plugin uses as indicator is played.

Also PlaybackPositionTicks = 0 seems incorrect

After stop on Emby it's correct on Kodi.

I'll fix this soon

It's never been 100% but now it was very apparent. Another change I noticed, if I'm 10 minutes into an episode and hit stop the episode will be marked as watched. If I then set the episode to unwatched it will also remove the resume position and start playback from 00:00 if I start it again. In the past it was common that I had to mark an episode as watched, then reset resume to 00:00 in order for it to be removed from the In Progress widgets - so these two functions used to be separate but now they look to be more integrated.

I also tried to set limits according to https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_automatic_watch_and_resume_points thinking it was a Kodi issue but it had no impact.

DiscoDuck79
4 minutes ago, quickmic said:

No I don't use Embuary skin, but the circle sounds like a progress indicator. Can you check it please. -> try 30% 70% watched and check if the circle matches the progress.

Tried 25%, 50% & 75%, the indicator shows 50% all the time so seems to be static.

• Thanks 1

embyL0VER

For clarification,

Estuary = Progress Circle

Embuary = Progress Bar + Green check mark (which should appear if media is watched until end)

The Progress Bar in Embuary is working like it should. Showing progress with the right timing.

• Like 1

quickmic
18 hours ago, DiscoDuck79 said:

Another change I noticed, if I'm 10 minutes into an episode and hit stop the episode will be marked as watched. If I then set the episode to unwatched it will also remove the resume position and start playback from 00:00 if I start it again. In the past it was common that I had to mark an episode as watched, then reset resume to 00:00 in order for it to be removed from the In Progress widgets - so these two functions used to be separate but now they look to be more integrated.

I performed some tests on this matter.

Seems Kodi (not the plugin) removes the resume position when you tag content as unwatched.

Still testing, but quite sure this is not an issue of the plugin.

DiscoDuck79
1 hour ago, quickmic said:

I performed some tests on this matter.

Seems Kodi (not the plugin) removes the resume position when you tag content as unwatched.

Still testing, but quite sure this is not an issue of the plugin.

Might be an Kodi thing as you mentioned, it used to work differently in the past and it was more hands-on to change it. For me it's more logical that changing a show to unwatched also resets the resume position to zero so if the watched/unwatched tagging would work I'm happy with the function.

Out of curiosity, is the playcount sent by the plugin from kodi or is it a value received from the server?

quickmic
5 minutes ago, DiscoDuck79 said:

Might be an Kodi thing as you mentioned, it used to work differently in the past and it was more hands-on to change it. For me it's more logical that changing a show to unwatched also resets the resume position to zero so if the watched/unwatched tagging would work I'm happy with the function.

Out of curiosity, is the playcount sent by the plugin from kodi or is it a value received from the server?

Received from server, but the actual problem is the missing PlaybackPositionTicks. It's not reported on paused.

Playcount > 0 is watched

PlaybackPositionTicks = 0 is not in progress.

In next version a 'Played': False, will overrule Playcount and set to 0. Progress will not be updated on pause (due to missing info), will be updated after playback stop.

• Like 1

quickmic

New version available 7.0.1-build 88

delta changelog:

modify progress updates for paused content on emby server
fix progress reset

Comment:

Please keep an eye on content progress. I modified the progress reset function, but due to lagging of a proper Kodi notification system and additional design flaws (Kodi leaves database open while browsing through lists) it's not a straight forward implementation.

• Thanks 2