Community forum feedback

Abobader

darkassassin07

I've noticed recently while writing a comment/post; if you backspace to remove a carriage return, it removes that and moves the cursor forward one character.

So:

AB

C

|DEF

'|' represents the cursor. Backspace once:

AB

CD|EF

Backspace a second time:

AB

C|EF

Third backspace:

AB

|EF

Fourth backspace:

ABE|F

And fith backspace:

AB|F

This happens with both the desktop and mobile versions of the site.

darkassassin07

I noticed this issue using Chrome for Android, nothing extra installed.

Testing further;

I do not see this at all on windows (Chrome, DuckDuckGo, and Firefox, no plugins) nor with Firefox Android (also no plugins)

I do however, see it with both DuckDuckGo on Android and Chrome Android. No plugins in either one.

DuckDuckGo refuses to load the desktop site when asked (loads the mobile site instead). Chrome will load either the mobile site or the desktop site, but experiences this issue in both.

Edited by darkassassin07

CBers
6 hours ago, darkassassin07 said:

I noticed this issue using Chrome for Android, nothing extra installed.

Me too. Been like it for a long time. 

Always thought it was just the keyboard app I'm using (SwiftKey). 

• Like 1

Good day,

So this issue on Android mobile, I will test tomorrow on one of my son Samsung mobile and see.

It will be helpful if I can trace "When" it start to happens, like when we did a forum update or we added a modification.

My best

• Like 1

darkassassin07
11 hours ago, CBers said:

Me too. Been like it for a long time. 

Always thought it was just the keyboard app I'm using (SwiftKey). 

I always forget I use a non-default keyboard.

I've also got swiftkey.

If I switch back to Samsungs keyboard, I no longer see this problem in Chrome or DuckDuckGo. Oddly I've never seen this elsewhere though and I've only noticed it in the last month or two. I'm pretty much always on android when I'm here.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Like 1

Then that the problem, thanks both for the update, the problem here as @CBers said the issue for a long time now, while @darkassassin07 said for the past month or two.

Regarding it only happens here in this community, even if other community using the same software, we will still be differences as we used many modifications maybe others do not use.

So the issue with these add-on keyboard as it here the "MS Swiftkey keyboard", it either need update or need reported as well.

We in the early next year will use the new build of this software, and the editor will be update as well, I will search in the main time  about this, I may find a fix for this.

@softworkz You using Android devices and if yes, can you please test this? Thanks.

OK, it's a knowing issue for our editor build with Swiftkey, things will not change until next year when we upgrade the community forum and it will have new editor build as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Good day,

We done a maintenance update to our community forum, if you find any issue, please report it here.

Thanks all.

My best

• Like 1

On 24/11/2023 at 14:10, Abobader said:

Good day,

We done a maintenance update to our community forum, if you find any issue, please report it here.

Thanks all.

My best

Hi @Abobader, not sure if it's related, but I started seeing this today while replying to another post.  I had previously replied to a post in another forum, but I've never had it throttle my responses before.

image.thumb.png.c755fef9758891ce93fd98738926ff8d.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SamES said:

Hi @Abobader, not sure if it's related, but I started seeing this today while replying to another post.  I had previously replied to a post in another forum, but I've never had it throttle my responses before.

image.thumb.png.c755fef9758891ce93fd98738926ff8d.png

Hi buddy,

Can you please try again posting in this thread as a test (2 posts), thanks.

• Like 1

Interesting, the second post was merged with the first.  In my earlier post when I reported this issue, my second post was in a separate topic.  Let's see what happens to this third post

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SamES said:

Interesting, the second post was merged with the first.

Yeah, I had that happen to me once today too.  I actually thought it was kinda cool.

I think maybe if you post twice in rapid succession (or, perhaps, before anyone has seen the first post) it just merges them together.  Neat.

• Like 1

Looking at my test, I think you have to post in fairly quick succession.  My third post was 1 minute later and it didn't merge.  Yes, it is a neat trick.

Edited by SamES
  • Like 1

Yes that correct, btw, we had this option enabled some time ago, and seem some update disable it (and I never notice it till like from 2 days ago).

Thinking to make the time like 3 minutes for merge posts.

TBH, I'm not sure whether that's a good idea. Please consider the following examples:

• I come to a forum with multiple replies from different users, then I want to have a separate post for each reply rather than getting them merged
  • I'm creating a new topic and want to reserve the first two or three posts (for adding information latter) before somebody else answers
  • I have different questions/subjects to mention, tell or ask, for which I want to make two separate posts in order to
    • Make it clear these are separate matters
    • Establish a separation of posted replies, as it will be clear to which part a certain reply is relating to

I've just been bitten by this and I'm afraid, I really don't like this. I don't want to wait 3 minutes in order to have my replies separate like I want them to be.

Another potential drawback might be that in a quick chat-like back-and-forth conversation, the order of messages might become disrupted when a reply to another user's message would be added to the previous message instead of appearing below the other user's message. 

1 hour ago, softworkz said:

Another potential drawback might be that in a quick chat-like back-and-forth conversation, the order of messages might become disrupted when a reply to another user's message would be added to the previous message instead of appearing below the other user's message. 

I would hope that the system would never do a merge if there has been a response since your last response - but I guess this should be tested.

I do think it should  be on a very short leash though - like it was originally (60 seconds?).

1 minute ago, ebr said:

I would hope that the system would never do a merge if there has been a response since your last response - but I guess this should be tested.

I do think it should  be on a very short leash though - like it was originally (60 seconds?).

It was never active before:

11 hours ago, Abobader said:

Yes that correct, btw, we had this option enabled some time ago, and seem some update disable it (and I never notice it till like from 2 days ago).

1 minute ago, softworkz said:

It was never active before:

It was a couple days ago and it required a very short span between posts.  I'm not sure if Abo adjusted it like he said but, if he did, I think we should go back to where it was a couple days ago.

@softworkz @ebr 

I need to clear the confusing here:

1 - Time merge on active within the time for the last post from a user if no other post in the thread been made, that time is now setting to 1 minuet, let say that user come after 2 minuets from last post, then his/her post will not merge.

2 - YES, it was active in some years back, and as I said, some update from some years back set it back to default and that "disable", I notice this this week when I notice many new users using the thread as a chat (mainly to gain posts count), so I look to the settings and found it disabled, now it enable back.

Why it important to do a new posts for each users replies when as you all know well multi-quotes is there.

But, if you all "really" do not like it, and in this case, I will disable it back again.

Thanks for the explanation.

I just got hit by this once again, in a PM, where I posted a general explanation on something and Luke had asked a question meanwhile. I responded "yes" and it was added to the previous message which it shouldn't have been.

Luke's message arrived before I had sent mine, but after I had sent mine, I immediately responded to the one he had sent meanwhile and my response got added to the previous message.

It could also be that he had read that first message already and doesn't notice that I had sent another one meanwhile, neither would he know to reload in order to see that something has been appended to my message.

1 hour ago, softworkz said:

I just got hit by this once again, in a PM, where I posted a general explanation on something and Luke had asked a question meanwhile. I responded "yes" and it was added to the previous message which it shouldn't have been.

Luke's message arrived before I had sent mine, but after I had sent mine, I immediately responded to the one he had sent meanwhile and my response got added to the previous message.

It could also be that he had read that first message already and doesn't notice that I had sent another one meanwhile, neither would he know to reload in order to see that something has been appended to my message.

ahh, I see the issue now, I disable the merge setting.

• Like 3