Community forum feedback

Abobader

On 12/24/2022 at 11:35 AM, Abobader said:

Good day,

From 1/1/2023 we will switch to email login only, no more display name for login in.

Nothing will change here, community will display your display name as normal.

My best

Now it only allowed to login by your account email address, no more display name login, thanks all.

abo-test

OK, test it and all working fine now, only email address for login at the community forum allowed.

Please make sure to use the correct email address for your account here to login.

Thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...
crusher11

Anyone else keep getting spammed with "did this answer your question" emails? I get them constantly, even when the thread I started wasn't a question. And the answer is always no anyway, so it's not like I've forgotten to mark it as answered.

10 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Anyone else keep getting spammed with "did this answer your question" emails? I get them constantly, even when the thread I started wasn't a question. And the answer is always no anyway, so it's not like I've forgotten to mark it as answered.

I think I got one from like 6 days ago.

ShepyRoku

How comes there's loads of mails going out asking people to reset their password because of a security reason? Has there been a breach ? Does this affect the main emby logins or just the community?

Good day,

We notice many old accounts has not been login to the forum community for some times now, so best to change the password, for that we force password change.

Member group only will get email about this.

Thanks all.

My best

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Why does not logging in require a password change? What sense does that make?

There are new security breaches across various services all the time and people tend to reuse passwords.

Dormant accounts are going to have old, likely reused passwords and are more likely to be unattended, both of which make them more vulnerable.

Edited by roaku
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, roaku said:

people tend to reuse passwords

The the problem, so when it publish on some sites, these email/user/passwords, spammers will use them, we notice this for some days, so it best to do force password reset.

59 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Why does not logging in require a password change? What sense does that make?

We've been getting clobbered by spam the last several days using very old accounts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

davedick

I just got the email about the forced password change.  I tried logging out of the community and logging back on and it didn't mention anything about password invalid or needed to change, etc.

Is there an exception to the forced password change?

OrangeReaper

As an individual who received this email may I give some feedback.

I wasn't sure that the email was, spam (or not); After some validation, I decided not; so reset my password; I had to click on the link in the email (something I normally avoid wherever possible) as logging on manually took me to an insecure site asking for my username an password(!)

May I politely suggest that maybe some explanation as to why I'm being asked to do this would help (although still necessary to validate that the request is not phishing) remember that users have security issues to deal with as well as admins.

Thanks

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OrangeReaper said:

As an individual who received this email may I give some feedback.

I wasn't sure that the email was, spam (or not); After some validation, I decided not; so reset my password; I had to click on the link in the email (something I normally avoid wherever possible) as logging on manually took me to an insecure site asking for my username an password(!)

May I politely suggest that maybe some explanation as to why I'm being asked to do this would help (although still necessary to validate that the request is not phishing) remember that users have security issues to deal with as well as admins.

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry about that, yes the force password reset email should be more clear, and thanks for the suggestion.

The reason been explain in some reply here as well in this:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/115607-new-password-needed/

MSI2017
2 hours ago, Abobader said:

Hi,

Sorry about that, yes the force password reset email should be more clear, and thanks for the suggestion.

The reason been explain in some reply here as well in this:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/115607-new-password-needed/

I didn't really think it was an issue, it's good to remind people to change up their password every now and than. The weird thing it that I got the mail for my local test account which isn't even connected to emby connect? (or the forums for that matter)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MSI2017 said:

I didn't really think it was an issue, it's good to remind people to change up their password every now and than. The weird thing it that I got the mail for my local test account which isn't even connected to emby connect? (or the forums for that matter)

That strange indeed, the force reset password was only sent to the group "Member" no matters it from connect or normal community account, best @Luke and @ebr reply to this.

Thanks for your post.

MSI2017
1 hour ago, Abobader said:

That strange indeed, the force reset password was only sent to the group "Member" no matters it from connect or normal community account, best @Luke and @ebr reply to this.

Thanks for your post.

I did some further research and figured it out. It's from a duplicate account. My email inbox accepts multiple formats of my emailaddress so I received an email for my old old test account in an inbox with the same name as my new test account. 

My fault, apologies for the confusion.

• Thanks 1

ShadowKindjal
On 1/16/2023 at 2:29 PM, Abobader said:

Good day,

We notice many old accounts has not been login to the forum community for some times now, so best to change the password, for that we force password change.

Member group only will get email about this.

Thanks all.

My best

You mentioned that only the "Member" group will get this email but I'm a part of the "Members" group and got the email this morning. Did I receive that email in error?

23 minutes ago, ShadowKindjal said:

You mentioned that only the "Member" group will get this email but I'm a part of the "Members" group and got the email this morning. Did I receive that email in error?

Yes, only group "Member" with only "0 post" will get the force password reset email.

Can you check if your account has as well another account from connect or something?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Did something change as the "Mention" options is gone?

I remove it last night, not working well with latest forum ver we use now, it actually was like this some forum build ago, so it time to remove it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good day,

As we announce new groups naming as well we will interduce new group:

Top Contributor

- Whom help here at the community.

- Whom report about bad threads or replies.

- Whom had their replies as selected "Best Answer".

- Whom doing good "How To" threads or replies.

The group will have more privilege than the group "Regular".

The mod's team will recommended the personals for this, also for "good report" and "best answer" it done by points system, anyone as well, can request to be in that group if they felt they doing the above well.

My best

Good day,

For "Top Contributor" group members, if you find anything not working, please report here, thanks.

My best