ComSkipper ... A Emby Plugin that skips commercials

BillOatman

muzicman0

Can you walk me through an example?  Not that I am an expert on this.

What I am referring to is if you hit a commercial break, and it skips the commercials appropriately, but then go back before that commercial break (the same one it previously skipped), then it should not skip again, however, future commercials should be skipped.  So, in theory, if you skip (say 30 seconds at a time) to the end of the show, then skip back to the beginning, then maybe no commercials would be skipped. 

But again, I am no expert, and I don't typically use Emby as a front end player (I use Kodi).  This is just how I would expect it to work.

BillOatman
27 minutes ago, muzicman0 said:

What I am referring to is if you hit a commercial break, and it skips the commercials appropriately, but then go back before that commercial break (the same one it previously skipped), then it should not skip again, however, future commercials should be skipped.  So, in theory, if you skip (say 30 seconds at a time) to the end of the show, then skip back to the beginning, then maybe no commercials would be skipped. 

But again, I am no expert, and I don't typically use Emby as a front end player (I use Kodi).  This is just how I would expect it to work.

Whenever it skips a commercial it will not skip that commercial again. That's done as mentioned above, in case it skips too far ahead you can rewind back and watch where you like.

If you fast forward the plugin a long way, it may think it hit a skip spot so after rewinding back it may not skip it again.  I wouldn't think jumping way forward then going back to near the beginning would be a normal use case.

BillOatman
16 hours ago, muzicman0 said:

I do have an issue when watching in a browser where it doesn't like commercials marked within a few seconds of the beginning of the file.  it seems to fail there.  Does anyone else have this issue?  If not, is anyone using the "edl_skip_field=3" which is required for Kodi usage?  Wondering if that is my problem.

If "edl_skip_field=3" was the problem I would think it would not skip any commercials.
Your issue is likely the browser client not respecting the command to skip after just starting playback.

muzicman0
10 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

If "edl_skip_field=3" was the problem I would think it would not skip any commercials.
Your issue is likely the browser client not respecting the command to skip after just starting playback.

I'm using Edge.

lightsout
4 hours ago, BillOatman said:

Whenever it skips a commercial it will not skip that commercial again. That's done as mentioned above, in case it skips too far ahead you can rewind back and watch where you like.

If you fast forward the plugin a long way, it may think it hit a skip spot so after rewinding back it may not skip it again.  I wouldn't think jumping way forward then going back to near the beginning would be a normal use case.

5 hours ago, muzicman0 said:

Thanks guys, that sounds good, I think you are right, in real life usage I wouldn't be bouncing around so much, and I do like the behavior that if I do go back it won't skip in case I am trying to see if I missed something.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Thanks 2

ThePaladinTech
On 2/1/2022 at 11:15 AM, BillOatman said:

Yes, it should work with all Emby clients that can accept "RemoteControl" commands.

How do I find out what clients support that? 

BillOatman
1 hour ago, ThePaladinTech said:

How do I find out what clients support that? 

By trying it I guess.  The comskipper log will show if the command is not supported.  But most seem to.

rbjtech
4 hours ago, BillOatman said:

By trying it I guess.  The comskipper log will show if the command is not supported.  But most seem to.

I believe ComSkipper uses the same Remote Commands as Introskip (Plugin) does/did - this is the Client Compatibility for the Introskip Plugin which may help you.

https://github.com/chefbennyj1/Emby.IntroSkip.Release/wiki/8.-Emby-Client-Compatibility-List

• Like 1

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, ThePaladinTech said:

thanks it appears that the Roku client doesn't work with it 😕

It's a question mark - so not tested.. 

May not be tested, but both comskipper and Intro Skip work fine for me on my 2 Roku devices.  (Not Roku TVs but discreet Roku devices.)

• Thanks 2

rbjtech
6 hours ago, richt said:

May not be tested, but both comskipper and Intro Skip work fine for me on my 2 Roku devices.  (Not Roku TVs but discreet Roku devices.)

Thanks - I've updated the Wiki (for people that still use the Plugin..)

• Thanks 1

crusher11

It seems my post-processing randomly stopped working in July and nothing recorded since then has an EDL file, which leads to two questions:

1. How can I process my un-processed recordings?
2. How do I fix the automated post-processing?

It's working fine for me 😉

But really you need to give much more than:

17 hours ago, crusher11 said:

It seems my post-processing randomly stopped working in July and nothing recorded since then has an EDL file, which leads to two questions:

• Your server OS?
  • "Recording Post Processing"  settings
  • Your postscript file (if applicable)
  • (assuming your using comskip) where did you get it / version)
  • and maybe a log file

muzicman0

So the last 2 weeks I have been out of town for work, and was using Emby to watch recordings, with EDL files.  Only the first marker would function.  Any ideas where to start troubleshooting this?  Sometimes if I would stop playback and start again, then the next marker would work, and sometimes it wouldn't.  But I never got more than 1 commercial to be skipped.

I tested the EDL files through another application that supports EDL, and they work fine in both Kodi and JRiver.

crusher11
3 hours ago, TMCsw said:

It's working fine for me 😉

But really you need to give much more than:

• Your server OS?
  • "Recording Post Processing"  settings
  • Your postscript file (if applicable)
  • (assuming your using comskip) where did you get it / version)
  • and maybe a log file

Well it was working fine for me for a couple of months, too.

• Synology
  • Application '/volume1/@appstore/comskip/bin/comskip', command '--ini=/volume1/@appstore/comskip/var/comskip.ini "{path}"'
  • Not sure?
  • Attached a log which should include this morning's recording of Fried Green Tomatoes.

embyserver (1).txt

BillOatman
12 hours ago, muzicman0 said:

So the last 2 weeks I have been out of town for work, and was using Emby to watch recordings, with EDL files.  Only the first marker would function.  Any ideas where to start troubleshooting this?  Sometimes if I would stop playback and start again, then the next marker would work, and sometimes it wouldn't.  But I never got more than 1 commercial to be skipped.

I tested the EDL files through another application that supports EDL, and they work fine in both Kodi and JRiver.

Turn on debug logging and watch the show then look at the log if it behaves wrong.  If you dont see anything send it to me.

It could an issue with the player you were using on the road since I assume its not the one you use normally.  But the logs should show that.

BillOatman
On 9/24/2022 at 5:22 AM, crusher11 said:

Run comskip on the files that dont have EDL files with the same command you use in your post processor.  If there is a problem with the command somehow (software update did something?) you should see it that way as well.

crusher11
38 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

Run comskip on the files that dont have EDL files with the same command you use in your post processor.  If there is a problem with the command somehow (software update did something?) you should see it that way as well.

I had no problem manually running it for the recording I was watching when I discovered the issue, but I don't know how to do them in bulk.

I have no idea why the post-processing command isn't firing properly, either.

BillOatman
3 hours ago, crusher11 said:

I had no problem manually running it for the recording I was watching when I discovered the issue, but I don't know how to do them in bulk.

I have no idea why the post-processing command isn't firing properly, either.

The log might help.

BillOatman
1 minute ago, crusher11 said:

See my earlier post. 

Yeah I just did and am looking at it now. There is soooooooooo much bad going on.

crusher11
13 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

Yeah I just did and am looking at it now. There is soooooooooo much bad going on.

Well that's encouraging. 

BillOatman
18 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

See my earlier post. 

There is so many things going wrong in that log it is hard to even isolate what is going on.  Your setup needs some serious reconfiguration IMO, it is also very busy..

These seem to be the relevant lines for FGT started at 2022-09-25 07:55:00.127

LiveTV: Running recording post processor /volume1/@appstore/comskip/bin/comskip --ini=/volume1/@appstore/comskip/var/comskip.ini "/volume1/Emby Libraries/Recordings/Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)/Fried Green Tomatoes (1991).ts"
LiveTV: Triggering refresh on /volume1/Emby Libraries/Recordings/Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)/Fried Green Tomatoes (1991).ts
LiveTV: Refreshing recording parent /volume1/Emby Libraries/Recordings
MediaProbeManager: ProcessRun 'ffprobe' Execute: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -i file:"/volume1/Emby Libraries/Recordings/Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)/Fried Green Tomatoes (1991).ts" -threads 0 -v info -print_format json -show_streams -show_chapters -show_format -show_data
MediaProbeManager: ProcessRun 'ffprobe' Process exited with code 0 - Succeeded
LiveTV: Recording post-processing script completed with exit code 127

exit code 127 is generally "Command Not Found".  So my guess is something in your post processor is not setup correctly.

Edited by BillOatman