ComSkipper ... A Emby Plugin that skips commercials

BillOatman

Wheemer

I have emby watching my recordings folder and was wondering how to get this to work for all playback locations, not just emby recordings?

Also my edl files are done with edl_skip_field=3 for kodi compatibility, will they work with this plugin?

Edited by Wheemer

BillOatman

@Wheemer

I have emby watching my recordings folder and was wondering how to get this to work for all playback locations, not just emby recordings?

It should work with any recording that has a EDL file.  But it may need to be on a local drive, not sure, never tried a networked drive.

Also my edl files are done with edl_skip_field=3 for kodi compatibility, will they work with this plugin?

Anything but 1 should work.

• Like 1

rbjtech
7 hours ago, BillOatman said:

It should work with any recording that has a EDL file.  But it may need to be on a local drive, not sure, never tried a networked drive.

UNC network mappings are fine - as long as the .edl file is in the same filename as the media file - then comskipper works great :)

@BillOatman May I suggest in the logging for comskipper - you put the actual 'edl detected' and 'the skip action' in the 'Normal' log as opposed to the Debug log ?  This caught me out a few times as normally I don't have debug logging turned on.  Thanks !

• Thanks 1

BillOatman
54 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

UNC network mappings are fine - as long as the .edl file is in the same filename as the media file - then comskipper works great :)

@BillOatman May I suggest in the logging for comskipper - you put the actual 'edl detected' and 'the skip action' in the 'Normal' log as opposed to the Debug log ?  This caught me out a few times as normally I don't have debug logging turned on.  Thanks !

Will do, thanks!

Wheemer

I am finding no way to tell emby to play the file directly, currently it's playing over http which doesn't work for file access. I'm using emby for android TV. Through kodi direct file access works and coms are skipped.

• 2 weeks later...
vdrover

Anyone have any tips on configuring comskip to deal with these types of commercials where the show doesn't cut to black first and the commercial is side-by-side with the show? My comskip.ini is attached.image.thumb.jpeg.70c7f1d782c7b4da98c76c48bbbd90b4.jpeg

comskip.ini.txt

BillOatman
4 hours ago, vdrover said:

Anyone have any tips on configuring comskip to deal with these types of commercials where the show doesn't cut to black first and the commercial is side-by-side with the show? My comskip.ini is attached.image.thumb.jpeg.70c7f1d782c7b4da98c76c48bbbd90b4.jpeg

comskip.ini.txt 5.98 kB · 0 downloads

I don't think you can, and would you want to?  The show is continuing in that one window.

vdrover

The show is not actually continuing. It's an advertising trick to prevent commercial skipping. The audio is from the commercial for example.

rbjtech

The only way to do possibly get this recognised is via a 'scene' change.   However if the likes of Comskip etc don't do this today, then I'd hazard a guess that it's probably too technically challenging and probably far quicker to strip the commercials / edit the EDL yourself.

Edited by rbjtech

samuelqwe
On 7/20/2022 at 1:47 PM, rbjtech said:

The only way to do possibly get this recognised is via a 'scene' change.

Probably wouldn’t do anything useful here. You would know that the scene changed, but that doesn’t really tell you what’s in the scene. Is it another scene in the show, or was that the start of the commercials? It wouldn’t be able to differentiate them.

Edited by samuelqwe
  • Agree 1

vdrover

As a follow up, some foreign sports channels do this with the action playing in the small window. I hate that, but would not want to skip it. However, I have comskip set up to allow custom INI files on a per-show basis. 

I'll leave it for now, but thanks for all the replies.

BillOatman
3 hours ago, vdrover said:

As a follow up, some foreign sports channels do this with the action playing in the small window. I hate that, but would not want to skip it. However, I have comskip set up to allow custom INI files on a per-show basis. 

Yeah that's common for soccer for example since it does not have any built in times for commercials like football, baseball etc. do.

vdrover
4 hours ago, BillOatman said:

Yeah that's common for soccer for example since it does not have any built in times for commercials like football, baseball etc. do.

Rugby in my case.

TMCsw

@vdrover Maybe you should (or not) post this on the comskip forum http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/viewforum.php?f=6

There is not a lot of activity over there but just maybe... ...the posts do get read ( but inot necessarily responded too )

Although it does look like there is an upcoming performance enhancement update in the works ( upgrade to ffmpeg v5+ with better codec support and possibly multi-threading for 10bit HEVC etc. )

And the NFL (US football) does this too and you don't miss any real action. 

• Like 1

BillOatman
21 hours ago, vdrover said:

Rugby in my case.

Yeah same.

BillOatman
16 hours ago, TMCsw said:

And the NFL (US football) does this too and you don't miss any real action. 

Never understood why they would bother. Plenty of dead time to show commercials.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
VidViewer

Just purchased Emby (Plex had been annoying me in bits for a while, finally tried alternatives) and got this plugin (had read about it before installing Emby, when doing research) which is to say Emby needs to add this to the plugin channel, it's great.  It actually made Emby a real value proposition for me being able to drop the cost of a Channels subscription (always frustrated there was no lifetime option for Channels).  Thank  you BillOatman for creating this and supporting it so well.  In the pdf I didn't see (may have overlooked my reading comprehension is lacking) instructions on installing the dll, might be useful to some to mention common plugin directory location to copy it into.  It also would be nice if Emby could add some plugin support for altering the timeline bar so you could make it look like Channels or have some indicator where commercials are in the show scrollbar timeline.  

I appreciate Emby, I tried the other alternatives, and at least in my short run of testing alternatives to Plex it came out on top for my setup.

vdrover thank you for your detailed benchmarks.  If you are curious too (I may do this someday otherwise - if anyone knows where to find info let me know), I'm curious if there is any considerable speed difference with newer comskip releases.  Especially cause I find it interesting the Channels and Emby (dunno why it even has it, when I don't see it having any commercial skipping options outside of plugins) are using old releases versus the newer ones which are actually a bit old I believe.  (if memory serves) Channels is using a build 5, Emby build 6, yet comskip is up to build 12.  Also wanted to note I did a bunch of benchmarking and on my i7 I definitely find threads=2 to be the sweetspot as it nearly doubles the speed whereas 3 only nets about another 10% gain.  I also have a Geforce 970 (windows 10) and tried various nvidia arguments with no significant gains.

Lastly if anyone is looking for edl support in mpv, hit me up, a couple years ago I coded a plugin for edl support for mpvnet that I could look at isolating that functionality (currently wrapped with other stuff I also wanted that others might find annoying as I overwrite some default keys you may have mapped).

BillOatman

@VidViewer  You are very welcome.  In terms of installing I believe it it somewhat dependent upon your operating system.  But what I do is 

1. Stop Emby Server
  2. Put the DLL in the plugins folder under the Emby Server installation location
  3. Restart Emby
  4. Go to the plugins configuration page and do the setup.

VidViewer

FYI BillOatman, this likely is a change since you created plugin, the donation version is no longer required for processing ts files (I tested on windows) nor (according to comskip site grid) realtime ts (I haven't tested).  In any case I think a $10+ donation to comskip is a fine idea, besides it does give you the option to multithread and 2 threads are nearly twice as fast at finishing the task, so well worth the investment for that parameter alone.  BillOatman, may I suggest you add that thread_count=2 to your ini, I've tested and even in the public version it doesn't complain (or say anything for that matter) about that parameter being set, it just ignores it so it does no harm for public version and in donate version it can lead to a significant increase in performance.  Thank you for that provided ini as it has worked great in the testing I've done.

• Thanks 1

lightsout

Thank you very much for this plugin, dong some testing trying to see how it works. I have a video file with an EDL. Skipped the first commercial no problem, when I skipped around a bit and then got to the next commercials (after passing it and going backwards) it no longer skipped the commercials. At least not that set of commercials.

So what should happen if I skip around in the file, for instance if I want to start something halfway through, should I expect this to break the commercial skipping, or maybe there must be a certain amount playing before a commercial flag to skip automatically.

I can confirm that these commercials are flagged, but don't always skip once I stop watching straight through.

muzicman0
Just now, lightsout said:

Thank you very much for this plugin, dong some testing trying to see how it works. I have a video file with an EDL. Skipped the first commercial no problem, when I skipped around a bit and then got to the next commercials (after passing it and going backwards) it no longer skipped the commercials. At least not that set of commercials.

So what should happen if I skip around in the file, for instance if I want to start something halfway through, should I expect this to break the commercial skipping, or maybe there must be a certain amount playing before a commercial flag to skip automatically.

I can confirm that these commercials are flagged, but don't always skip once I stop watching straight through.

I would expect this behavior.  That way if your EDL is wrong, you can go back and catch what you missed without it skipping again.

muzicman0

I do have an issue when watching in a browser where it doesn't like commercials marked within a few seconds of the beginning of the file.  it seems to fail there.  Does anyone else have this issue?  If not, is anyone using the "edl_skip_field=3" which is required for Kodi usage?  Wondering if that is my problem.

lightsout
1 hour ago, muzicman0 said:

I would expect this behavior.  That way if your EDL is wrong, you can go back and catch what you missed without it skipping again.

I'm not talking about being able to go back. But once I have done some skipping around the commercials no longer want to skip properly.

Should it only work if you watch it straight through?