Emby Server - Trying to find the issue!

CrazyTom2k2

CrazyTom2k2

Hi there,

I've set up my old PC as a standalone server running Emby, along with Windows AD, DHCP and DNS Services. 

Specs are an i5-7400, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, 120GB SATA boot drive, and a Storage Space with 2x4TB HDDs and a 500GB NVMe SSD for cache.

I've mostly been using the server for streaming my music collection (which I'm still building on!) However, I've been trying streaming films/TV Shows from my server, and I've started to have a few problems.

The issues I've been having mainly relate to my LG Smart TV (43UN8100), but also my Xbox One S. When I stream video on the Smart TV, it usually stutters and results in me not being able to comfortably watch the video. This seems to happen regardless of the resolution of the video/whether I'm direct-playing or transcoding.

When I'm playing the videos on the Xbox, they start off playing fine, but then the Xbox will start dropping frames like a madman while still playing the audio.

This has been tested using the Emby Theater apps and the native DLNA apps on both the Xbox and the LG TV. 

This perplexes me as the videos play fine on my Windows 11 PC, my Samsung Tab S7+, and also on my Note20 Ultra (I've even tested this over 5G and it plays fine). 

With regards to my network setup, the LG TV, Windows 11 PC and the Xbox are connected via Ethernet. My Note20 and Tab S7 are both on Wi-Fi or 5G.

It seems like the issue could be device-related, but I'm unable to work out where the issue would lie. I've also taken a look at my Task Manager on the server while streaming, and the server doesn't seem to be overloaded or stressed at all. I've noticed that the network speed on the NIC fluctuates while streaming, but I'd assume this is normal?

The videos themselves are encoded as H.264 with the highest bitrate being 44Mbps. Some of the videos are 1080p/30fps, others are 4K/24fps. 

I genuinely can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here, so I'm hoping someone can set me on the right path. Thank you! :)

embyserver.txt

Hello CrazyTom2k2,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Hi, I'm seeing a lot of errors in your logs "Error in event handler".

Did you roll back from a beta to the release version?

I've seen this before on Linux installs but can't remember seeing this issue on Windows.

Could we do a remote support session to let me get a look at your install while we try a couple of things?
If so send me a PM so we can set this up.

Happy2Play

Do you still have a issue if you remove the "SamsungSmartThings" plugin as that is where all the errors are coming from?

CrazyTom2k2

Wow! I'm blown away at how quickly everyone's gotten back to me!

I also noticed a bunch of errors in my log, so I've removed the Samsung SmartThings plugin, and I've trimmed back a couple of the other plugins.

I haven't had a chance to test this yet as work got a bit nuts! But I'll test this ASAP and let you all know.

@cayars as far as I'm aware, I've always always the stable releases of Emby. I appreciate the offer of remote support too! I'll give things a test now I've trimmed back on plugins - if I'm still having issues I'll ping you a DM. Thank you!! 😀