Official Emby Logo Submission Thread

ebr

The flame was originally created because the creator saw "Emby" and thought "Ember".   The issue is that we don't want people seeing a flame and thinking our name is "Ember" instead of "Emby".  First because that's not our name and I think that will be the immediate association and second because there are two products in the same general space with that name.

Ember Media Manager

And a js framework called Ember

• Like 1

godbodian

553c3109badf6_EmbyLogo.png

This was my idea that I wanted @@Joostzilla to possibly flesh out design wise. Of course it would need to be more polished but I thought in the simplest context of what the Devs may want need or mean for EMBY (and MediaBrowser in the latter) to "mean" is that "We" (essentially) do more or are greater than just being a media player/movie player, etc. I did the drawing freehand via my tablet and stylus, I haven't put any effort into it aside from that because if the Devs don't like the concept we all can just move on.

The only other idea I had about this concept of the logo, was if a globe (a spherical or circular shape with the longitude and latitude lines going thru it) had the above logo drawn within it by using the negative space and borders surrounding that negative space that also connect into the long and lat lines. It could be trite but if done correctly it may work.

Any thoughts? Trust, I have thick skin. Joostzilla, I think it should be that wonderful green hue you did with the stylized spiral "E".

Also... I another thought was if the Devs DID like this concept, it could easily segway into a mascot of sorts. Most people in America learn the "greater than" symbol by our teachers contrasting it with hungry Alligators that only like the largest numbers. I think with the green accent and color scheme already present via the MediaBrowser apps in Windows would allow said mascot to easily transition into almost immediate brand awareness.

Edited by godbodian
  • Like 1

mediacowboy

You know not that my opinion is worth checking but drop the bottom line and I love it. Emby more then just media. And you could create a nice transition starting with the greater then sign over the play sign and flipping it over.

Edited by mediacowboy

Koleckai Silvestri

I really hate to be the one to point this out but the '<' is the Less Than symbol. Greater Than points to the right, '>'. Since the projects main language seems to be English. If it were Arabic, they would be mirrored.

X < Y = X is Less Than Y.

X > Y = X is Greater Than Y.

Though if you made the play symbol smaller, it would represent the capital letter E. It would also vaguely represent a diamond. Which are often considered the most sought after crystal gem and the top of the hard currency chart. As such the best of the best and they represent luxury. 

• Like 2

pir8radio

Uhm....  that's less than.....      if you read it left to right    the "bigger" side first leads to the smaller side   >  the left of the character is greater than the right of the character..       <  the left side is less than or smaller than the right side...    easy way to remember that..   ;)         

EDIT:  ahh Koleckai beat me to it..

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

godbodian

I really hate to be the one to point this out but the '<' is the Less Than symbol. Greater Than points to the right, '>'. Since the projects main language seems to be English. If it were Arabic, they would be mirrored.

X < Y = X is Less Than Y.

X > Y = X is Greater Than Y.

Though if you made the play symbol smaller, it would represent the capital letter E. It would also vaguely represent a diamond. Which are often considered the most sought after crystal gem and the top of the hard currency chart. As such the best of the best and they represent luxury. 

Uhm....  that's less than.....      if you read it left to right    the "bigger" side first leads to the smaller side   >  the left of the character is greater than the right of the character..       <  the left side is less than or smaller than the right side...    easy way to remember that..   ;)         

EDIT:  ahh Koleckai beat me to it..

I researched it a little before I put it up. The thought on whether it's less than or greater than in this usage was mixed. To my research what I found is that yes, it's traditionally "less than" when two integers are involved or if the single integer involved is on the closed side but in this instance regardless of being left or right facing, the integer being on the open side of the expression it "CAN" mean "greater than". Especially given the fact, that it's clearly outside of context, as there's really no mathematical expression or equation. Much like how people exchange E's for 3's when creating gamertags or license plates. With that mixed reference, I figured what the hell, as in addition it looked better facing right (East) more so than the opposite.

@Koleckai Silvestri, personally I think that the diamond would border upon cliché plus you would lose the understanding that the symbol is actually saying "greater than". To get the "diamond" effect, the symbols would have to be basically the same size and in that configuration it would basically translate into only a diamond, especially given the fact and common knowledge that diamonds are usually multi-faced geometric structures. If that was done, I don't see the average person making the correlation to "greater than". As of right now, even with the mirrored appearance I think that most people would consider it to mean greater than or not outright object to it's representation as such.

Edited by godbodian

pir8radio

I researched it a little before I put it up. The thought on whether it's less than or greater than in this usage was mixed. To my research what I found is that yes, it's traditionally "less than" when two integers are involved or if the single integer involved is on the closed side but in this instance regardless of being left or right facing, the integer being on the open side of the expression it "CAN" mean "greater than". Especially given the fact, that it's clearly outside of context, as there's really no mathematical expression or equation. Much like how people exchange E's for 3's when creating gamertags or license plates. With that mixed reference, I figured what the hell, as in addition it looked better facing right (East) more so than the opposite.

@Koleckai Silvestri, personally I think that the diamond would border upon cliché plus you would lose the understanding that the symbol is actually saying "greater than". To get the "diamond" effect, the symbols would have to be basically the same size and in that configuration it would basically translate into only a diamond, especially given the fact and common knowledge that diamonds are usually multi-faced geometric structures. If that was done, I don't see the average person making the correlation to "greater than". As of right now, even with the mirrored appearance I think that most people would consider it to mean greater than or not outright object to it's representation as such.

Not to sidetrack, I'm always up for learning something, where did you read that the less than sign can mean greater than? Gamer tags and license plates, people probably use the wrong characters because someone else already took "hacker" so they went with "hack3r" kind of like those letter signs when they run out of o's they use zeros   :)    People also say "he axed me a question and I dun did gave him an answer"  doesn't mean they are correct.   but seriously I think since the symbol means less than to the vast majority of humans, they will look at it like that..   Unless you double it up <<  maybe some how resemble the rewind symbol?

Don't get mad, i'm super sarcastic...  

• Like 1

Latchmor

< will always be less than to me and of course if you flip it to > then you have Plex... I can see the jokes (from plex'ers) coming already  :P

• Like 1

chef

I hadn't really thought of the greater than or less than symbols.

But that logo created above still says that media is greater than whatever came before it.

I kinda like it.

• Like 1

To get what you were after, it would need to be:

[play symbol]

I'm afraid that won't translate well to an icon.  Plus (see what I did there... ;)), I did immediately see the Plex icon flipped over which I don't think we can risk.  Thanks for the effort, though.

• Like 1

Thanks for the effort, though.

Godbodian - I just want to make sure that you realize that was a sincere statement.  I do appreciate everyone's effort in this endeavor.

• Like 3

godbodian

LOL. Everyone, I'm fine. LOL. What I was trying to explain about the reasoning for the way I drew it was the question, how can you make a greater than sign that essentially is supposed to be eating itself (Ouroboros) and whatever else is accompanying it?

553d39265bfc5_download.jpg

See essentially (at least in the way I thought about it) less than and greater than are still essentially saying the same thing regardless of their comparison as the open end of either expression must be aimed at whatever integer is the largest, greatest or the best. So then the question doesn't become left and right but can you refer the comparison back onto itself as a logo, as with EMBY > Media (as @@ebr and others illustrated) works but is also off-putting.  What I was trying to do was bridge essentially the impossible and minimize a construct of comparison and two or three expressions to a single character. I think with the above illustration, where I was going and the physical representation of those thoughts are explained easier.

Now, as for the rest. I'm good. I've been sleep this whole time but I appreciate all the personal notes and explanations regarding your comments. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YOU GUYS REALLY LOVEDED ME. LOL.  I mean at first, I thought it was a little fruity as we supposed to be men and masculinity-programmed androids (talking to the guys, I know there are women within the community) but then I saw the Bruce Jenner special and I learned a few things. 1.) A man can speak his feelings and then the most important 2.)When your grandfather and grandmother may be the same person, so who are we to judge?

(Really everything is cool, on to the next idea.)

Edited by godbodian
  • Like 2

godbodian

@@godbodian

Do you work for a newspaper or online magazine or something because you write extremely well...

No but thanks for the compliment, champ. No, I literally own a business and do branding professionally for various companies and government infrastructures in our Nation's capital (Washington D.C. for all of those within our community that aren't American), that includes tagline work and marketing copy editing for various advertisments. As for the other aspects of writing, I regularly mentor and when I was a child I had one of those "Southern" mothers that it was the end of the World if you used slang, improper grammar, did not properly annunciate or anything else in error during moments of communication that led to the appearance of ignorance. You know stereotypical stuff, plus I found that being clear and concise (or even just the attempt) is always good in forums such as these. But again, I appreciate the love homie, you just made my Mom's day. LOL.

Edited by godbodian
  • Like 1

godbodian

Okay, I see now (even more clearer than before) why this rebranding thing will be so difficult.

(I'm doing this for the purpose of consensus, so that those still interested in trying to design can have some concrete points to start or restart from.)

1. EMBY's only external meaning and reference is it being a homophone for MB
  2. Everyone appears to be in consensus about the logo being a singular character of creative embodiment
  3. What the "brand" represents is essentially a server solution that champions other solutions via a commitment to "unity through diversity", thus making us essentially the Universal Unitarians of the media server tech space. (As a UUA, finding meaning can be overwhelming until you get the hang of it. :rolleyes: )
  4. All of the most basic structures that actually represent us have been done to DEATH. e.g. circles, braided line configurations, etc. (although there is one that's a bit on the potentially pretentious side but... still a possibility as nothing in our space utilizes such a design, an enneagram)
  5. The fun nature of saying EMBY and it's appearance lend to it's "meaning" (giving there is none) which can lean towards a general need to feel whimsical when looking upon the logo or branding, leading to potential mismatches in design from feeling things "don't fit" (Unless that all-encompassing character can encompass the playful nature as well as the more focused "solution to best all solutions" aspect too.) :ph34r:  (At least in my opinion.)

Now, with all that I came up with these before the whole "greater than" thing and trashed them as not only were they based upon @@Joostzilla's design and a lightbulb, mixed in with a symbol for unity and continuity, I didn't think anyone would like them or that they would play at all until a recent question I asked @@ebr and his response brought them back into my mind. ("The best media server solution" SOLUTION = lightbulb)

Love it, hate it, tear it to shreds. Let me know what you think. (Also there are five visualizations of the same concept, feel free to play with it, redesign it, if inclined. My favorite is the second one.) (Sorry about the confusion, if any, the first time I uploaded them they were HUGE.)

553d6727f1a62_1.jpg553d6733d70a2_2.jpg553d6744e2009_3.jpg553d67500767f_4.jpg553d6756db2b8_5.jpg

Edited by godbodian

pir8radio

the second one from the left, the all green with no outlines is the best of those..  The others make me want to slaughter a sacrificial goat...  Pentagram is the first thing that pops into my head..  lol      

Ok..... I have thought long and hard about this and spent days and days on my design...  I think it will get 98% approval from all men, and about 2% approval from all females..  Its square, and uses the font @@ebr likes..  It might take you a few minuets to find the "emby" but I think you will be pleased.   I am also just joking....   

553d6e810f4b6_Emby.png

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 10

cshaun

Well this is my favorite, we just need something other than a flame

550bcc3a784f2_logomock.jpg

It has a nice friendly font and only uses 2 colors (accent + black or white).

Well maybe something similar e.g.

553e43512faa6_emby20.png

Edited by cshaun
  • Like 2

Interesting...  I'm seeing flowing hair now though.  Like a cartoon character...  Maybe not all bad.

• Like 1

jluce50

To me it looks like a comet/meteor, which is kinda cool. Still has the "fire" theme, but doesn't immediately make me think  "ember". It implies movement as well, which I think is good.

• Like 1

techywarrior

I like the second as well. Depending on the color you go with it will either still have some sort of fire/flame association (red/orange) or movement (almost any other color)

ryantiger658

I really liked @@Angelblue05's designs, but I understand Core's concerns with it. I just wanted to see what it would look like if I combined @@Angelblue05's themes with @@non-entity's submission. I think it turned out pretty good, though I appologize for the bad quality. I am not a designer. I just pulled together what I could from Gimp. Obviously it would be much cleaner if it were a vector image rather than edited jpeg's.

553e6b4479c43_Logo.png

553e6b50bba7f_Logo2.png

553e6b6f56da7_Logo3.png

(I take no credit for this design. I simply took @Angleblue05's theme, and applied it to @@non-entity's logo.)

• Like 3